Notices

whats this and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2008, 09:56 PM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question whats this and what does it do?

hi just taken my turbo off which i think the oil seals have gone on but have a couple of questions the first being i cant see any tell tale signs of the seals being gone (could on the car blue smoke from exhaust on boost) is there any way of seeing when its off without taking it apart also there is no play in the shaft atall is it worth changing the seals my self and selling as i have a new turbo anyway?
then my second question is what is this black hose at the bottom of turbo

it came from here

and what does it do as it was really loose at the bottom just sort of fell off cheers in advance
Old 04 November 2008, 10:03 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Black hose is the oil return pipe, the oil isnt under any real pressure at that point so it doesnt need to be massively clamped on to the metal pipe.

Not sure about the other question.
Old 04 November 2008, 10:08 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If the seals are gone you will either have oil in the exhaust side (i.e. burning oil) or you will have oil leaking externally of the housing. My seals went and I never burnt oil through the exhaust housing, but I did lose oil externally from the housing (between comp and exh). This could be seen next to the band around the middle.

It is also possible to leak from the oil return on the turbo.
Old 04 November 2008, 10:30 PM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
If the seals are gone you will either have oil in the exhaust side (i.e. burning oil) or you will have oil leaking externally of the housing. My seals went and I never burnt oil through the exhaust housing, but I did lose oil externally from the housing (between comp and exh). This could be seen next to the band around the middle.

It is also possible to leak from the oil return on the turbo.
well it kinda went quick the other day was a long run then noticed turbo pulsing on boost only slightly but didnt think much of it as it was raining so thought it might be the maf getting wet.
came off the motorway and gave it a lil bit of foot and looked in my rear view to see a huge plume of blue smoke checked oil not registering on the dipstick so left it there went and got some topped it up (bout a litre) and drove home completely off boost stopping to top up with oil every now and then was told it could be the oil seals so brought a new turbo (havent fitted yet waiting for gaskets) but as above not really and tell tale signs
Old 05 November 2008, 06:05 AM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular