Notices

Help! Crank problem, getting fed up with scoob now

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2008, 04:31 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Crank problem, getting fed up with scoob now

Hi again guys. Well my never ending list of problems with my scooby is just continuing to grow. Had it in the garage a couple of weeks back to have the crankshaft oil seal replaced as I had oil leaking into the Cam belt area.

While it was in there the mechanic (the missus's dad) told me that the crank pulley has been chattering around on the crank and is pretty worn, but also the crank has took some of the brunt of it too. He put it back together and said see how it goes so I did. Thursday I was driving then my steering got incredibly heavy and the battery light came on my dash, so I pulled over. Popped the bonnet to find the power steering belt missing and the pulley just sort of loose and wobbly.

Is there anything I can do short of replacing the engine as I have spent so much on this POS that I haven't much left?

Please, please any help would be greatly appreciated

Oh yeah, its a N reg 1996 Classic Turbo Wagon

Last edited by bigdyl69; 06 September 2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06 September 2008, 05:42 PM
catalunyadave
Scooby Regular

i have had this exact problem, i was told where the pulley sits on the crank is called the woodraft key and my pulley was totally smooth where it should of sat on the crank.

i was told you get this problem when the pulleys arent put back correctly from when you have a major service so the timing is wrong and hence it smooths the pulley off

here is the bad news i was told i would need a new bottom end due to this problem
Old 06 September 2008, 06:00 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the woodruf key has "rolled" and damaged the slot in the nose of the crank badly,then the only permanant repair is a new crank.
If its not too badly damaged - then a repair using Quick Metal,new woodruf key and a front pulley with an undamaged keyway slot can be done.
Torque the front pulley bolt to 127Nm when your done.

Mick
Old 06 September 2008, 06:10 PM
bmposer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
If the woodruf key has "rolled" and damaged the slot in the nose of the crank badly,then the only permanant repair is a new crank.
If its not too badly damaged - then a repair using Quick Metal,new woodruf key and a front pulley with an undamaged keyway slot can be done.
Torque the front pulley bolt to 127Nm when your done.

Mick
This is what i done with mine after the same problem, my crank was a bit damaged but with the new pully and woodruff key its been fine for the last 8 months, (touch wood)
Old 06 September 2008, 06:33 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

I'm a little worried though as it originally went in with a water pump failure, so had that replaced and a new cam belt at the same time. Only after that I noticed the car seemed to vibrate a bit when it idled, something I never noticed before. Then it sprung an oil leak so I had the crankshaft oil seal done and now this. Could this damage had been caused when the new cam belt was fitted maybe, because it was fine before that?
Old 06 September 2008, 06:37 PM
bmposer
Scooby Regular

maybe if it was not put on correctly or torqued tight enough
Old 06 September 2008, 07:50 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

I don't really know what to do about it all now. I cant afford much to get it fixed and with it being the father in law how do I approach him to question his putting the cam belt on? I've had nothing but rotten luck with this car since day one
Old 06 September 2008, 11:48 PM
buggernuts
Scooby Newbie

where did ya get ya car from coz it looks familiar did ya buy it of a asian guy?
Old 07 September 2008, 12:10 AM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Yeah, a guy called Aneel I think, I picked it up from Erdington but wish I had never bothered
Old 07 September 2008, 01:18 AM
buggernuts
Scooby Newbie

thought i reconized it my m8 used to own it but when he did it never had them chavvy spoilers ect it must be the one as he sold it coz of problems to a asian bloke in that area.
Old 07 September 2008, 01:21 AM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

What sort of problems?
Old 07 September 2008, 02:05 PM
buggernuts
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

running problems like misfiring and losing power,he took it to subaru put it on there fault finder turns out it was the maf senser then.
but from the problems you have been talking about it sounds like your farther in law has but the pulley on wrong.
was it done cash in hand or on the books,you will just have to get them to fix it under warrenty mate.
Old 07 September 2008, 02:17 PM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

I would just be honest and tell him. He must of put it back on wrong!
Old 07 September 2008, 05:30 PM
buggernuts
Scooby Newbie

my mate says his dad had the same problem as you with the crank the woodref key getting so worn that he had to bump start it to get it to run due to the crank sensor not getting its signal,
some have **** mechanic who had never worked on a scoob before did a cam belt and crank seal didnt put the crank pulley back on right
lasted a week and a half,said he wish he had gone to subaru or a specilest but the garage did replace the crank on warrenty.
hope this helps ur ****ty problems mate
Old 07 September 2008, 05:33 PM
buggernuts
Scooby Newbie

sorry chose the wrong pic at the end,ment to be this one
Old 07 September 2008, 07:27 PM
overlord
Scooby Regular

Old 07 September 2008, 11:34 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buggernuts
my mate says his dad had the same problem as you with the crank the woodref key getting so worn that he had to bump start it to get it to run due to the crank sensor not getting its signal,
some have **** mechanic who had never worked on a scoob before did a cam belt and crank seal didnt put the crank pulley back on right
lasted a week and a half,said he wish he had gone to subaru or a specilest but the garage did replace the crank on warrenty.
hope this helps ur ****ty problems mate
How much would a crank be if I had to pay to have it fitted? I just cant believe my rotten luck with this car. I had just the day before got the turbo hesitation and boosting sorted out and just started to enjoy it the way it should be. Do you think that because I've caught it relatively early I might be able to just change the pulley and wood ruff key?
Old 08 September 2008, 12:14 AM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

Post some pictures up, if you was closer i would do you bottom end for you.

If worst comes to worst, £90 2nd hand crank. Not sure on labour charges. But its basically a full rebuild to get the crank out. I know rebuilds for big end faiulres go for around 1400 - 1800
Old 08 September 2008, 12:23 AM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt578
Post some pictures up, if you was closer i would do you bottom end for you.

If worst comes to worst, £90 2nd hand crank. Not sure on labour charges. But its basically a full rebuild to get the crank out. I know rebuilds for big end faiulres go for around 1400 - 1800
Thanks bit wow, that much? There's no way I can afford that, I'd sooner scrap the car and cut my losses. I bought this to replace a POS that was falling apart on me, wish I hadn't bothered and I still have to pay for this over the next 5 years!!
Old 08 September 2008, 12:28 AM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, take some pictures of the pulley and then some pictures of the crank end with the pulley off, once we know just what we are dealing with we will see if there is and easier fix which in 75% sure there will be
Old 08 September 2008, 12:56 AM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Whats the best and safest way to remove the pulley without upsetting things too much because the mechanic has put some weld into the pulley where it wore to fill it up a bit and used something else too and its been running ok the last two days to get to work and back (30ish miles a day), Th epulley wants changing anyway, its a bit knackered after it spun itself off the crank so I might order a new pulley, wood ruff key and bolt just to be sure
Old 08 September 2008, 01:41 AM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

hmm, hard to say without seeing how he has attached it.
Old 08 September 2008, 03:58 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and try get another car and sell this as bits I think or to someone willing to look it over cause there's no way I can afford an engine rebuild, I can barely afford an MOT these days
Old 08 September 2008, 04:30 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

its not all doom and gloom.
I sold my last complete ph1 engine for £250, still running sweet now so the owner tells me.

Engines can be had for up to £500 ready to drop in.
Old 08 September 2008, 04:42 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Yep, if it can't be repaired it's not the end of the world. Wifey's went bang some months back. Found an engine on ebay for £450. If you know what you are doing then it can be changed in a day easy.

Some of the breakers I contacted were only one or two hundred more expensive and gave 3 month warranty (before people start shouting about dodgy 2nd hand units - we would all love a rebuild but not many people have 2 grand in their back pockets, you pays yer money etc)

Lob the problem engine on ebay with an ACCURATE description and you may get one to two hundred back and not be too much out of pocket.

Hope this makes you feel better.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 08 September 2008 at 04:46 PM.