Notices

TAKING MY TURBO OFF

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2008, 11:46 AM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAKING MY TURBO OFF

What a joke this is turning out to be I thought it would be really quite simple but how I was wrong
Bolt heads rounding off. Bolts in places that only a child could reach. Bolts that are rusty and don’t want to come off . and all I wanted to do was replace the up pipe and the down pipe
Old 06 February 2008, 01:11 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that, I found the heatshield bolts a PITA, and yes only a child's (or japanese?) hand could get in there, but otherwise no problems AT ALL.

Simon
Old 06 February 2008, 01:23 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

It's important to have proper sockets for this job, I think. AFAIK Halfords sell an impact wrench socket kit where the socket twists the bolt in the middle of the flat surfaces. This seems to stop them rounding off, so it might be worth a try...

The kit was 17 quid from memory (1/2" drive?). Sounds a expensive, but it's a set from the 'professional' set and it's been worth it for me at least
Old 06 February 2008, 04:07 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I replaced my up-pipe & downpipe quite easily without even touching the turbo
Old 06 February 2008, 04:33 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

you mean you got some one else to do it
Old 06 February 2008, 05:08 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

If your sockets are 12 sided things will only get worse. I would invest in a decent 6 sided socket set. I never had any probs removing the headers turbo DP etc with a decent 6 sided socket.
A bit of wd40 the night before might help as well.
Mike
Old 06 February 2008, 07:47 PM
turbotimmy
Scooby Regular

I had to get these when i changed my downpipe, worked a treat;
Irwin 5 Piece Bolt Grip Nut Remover Set - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys
Old 06 February 2008, 08:04 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem, those bolts just do not want to turn. I used impact sockets on a breaker bar (6 sided sockets). Air impact wrench where i could use it and a breaker bar where i couldnt. Any nuts which refused to budge after 24hrs of soaking with WD40 GOT THE CHOP with my 3" air cut off tool & 4" Grinder. NIGHTMARE. (lucky for me the gearbox was off). Goodluck mate just keep soaking them with WD40 and plenty of swearing. I replaced all studs on the turbine housing, i'm fitting it all back tomorrow.
Old 06 February 2008, 09:04 PM
tonywrx
Scooby Regular

i managed to get my downpipe and turbo off with just a 14mm draper expert spanner and halfords pro 1/2 14mm socket, although i used some really oily lube on the rusty bolts took about 2 days to burn completely off, lol.
got all of it off and on in about 3 and 1/2 hours.
Old 06 February 2008, 09:13 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

another vote for the irwin sockets
Old 06 February 2008, 10:27 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm sorry to say it but there are enough threads on here that will tell you to use a 6-sided walldrive socket, plenty of PlusGas and a flex head 14mm ratchet spanner... if you did use all that and still no luck then you really did have it bad, better luck next time!

But those nuts seem to be designed to hold on a thread like kryptonite, yet the outer hex part is made of something more like marzipan as soon as you put a 12 sided socket to them LOL

The best bit is that there's not a nut, bolt or stud in the whole exhaust system that are supposed to have been done up to more than 30-40lbft or something around that, so why they are always so badly seized is a mystery.
Old 07 February 2008, 09:01 AM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Hurray finally got the get off well my mate did he works for Mitsubishi motors and he came round with proper tools last night and ripped the barstuard off in about an hour the only thing is I now need all new studs and nuts but iv not a clue where to get them from
Old 07 February 2008, 09:32 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I replaced my up-pipe & downpipe quite easily without even touching the turbo
well arent you just too cool for school
Old 07 February 2008, 10:17 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBOTRONICS
Hurray finally got the get off well my mate did he works for Mitsubishi motors and he came round with proper tools last night and ripped the barstuard off in about an hour the only thing is I now need all new studs and nuts but iv not a clue where to get them from
I bought new studs on ebay. If i remember correctly, they're m10 fine thread (1.25mm pitch), but *get it confirmed* before you get them. I think I got about 100 for 5 quid or something daft like that.

Alternatively, your friendly subaru dealer will be able to get some in for you.
Old 07 February 2008, 12:25 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Should the waste gate flap be lose or should it be hard up against its seat like a vale as I just noticed that it’s a little lose
iv seen some studs on ebay i might go for them
Old 08 February 2008, 12:44 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I did mine easily for a couple of reasons

I have thin but long hands, and I have the correct tools

I did do it myself, it was quite straight forward to be honest, and I didnt really want to take the turbo off just to replace the up-pipe

I used to have a spare turbo, might still have the studs will have to look in the garage, cant remember if I chucked it out or not, but can check anyway, im pretty sure I still have a spare wastegate too, you can have them if they are any good to you
Old 08 February 2008, 02:06 AM
rs250gpracer
Scooby Newbie

lol the up pipe job haha, i decided to change my manifold, comes with up pipe as part of it. seems quite easy and straight forward.... then the heatsheild bolts snap, then everything is seized, then the weilder is out, then the grinder, lol then 2 week have passed by and im on the floor with the block , no inlet on, no cam belt, no pumps.... with a wire brush cleaning the full block... i go 2 far... really 2 far.
so the changing my manifold led 2 new cambelt, oil, filter, new plugs, full wirebrush of block, new gasgets, new uprated clutch, de cat downpipe.
now i have my scooby with a clutch in that needs bedding in before going on rollers for re map, but i darnt drive it 2 bed the clutch in untill its been remapped!!!!!!
Old 08 February 2008, 09:01 AM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate iv managed to get the studs out without damaging them im just short of a few nuts and bolts now that hold the exhaust together but I don’t think the turbo will last much longer as there is a little bit of play in the shaft

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I did mine easily for a couple of reasons

I have thin but long hands, and I have the correct tools

I did do it myself, it was quite straight forward to be honest, and I didnt really want to take the turbo off just to replace the up-pipe

I used to have a spare turbo, might still have the studs will have to look in the garage, cant remember if I chucked it out or not, but can check anyway, im pretty sure I still have a spare wastegate too, you can have them if they are any good to you