Notices

Thanks Scoobynet - speedo fixed

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2007, 01:34 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Thanks Scoobynet - speedo fixed

First of all, as some of you may notice, this is my first post. I'm a fairly new Scoob owner (around 7 weeks), and I know some of you will think it's mad but I took the plunge and opted for an STI 7 JDM. I have to agree with the Colin McRae post on the forums and the reason for me waiting to get one for nearly 10 years. You can view my Scoob in my profile.

Anyway, my reason for posting is that my speedo developed an intermittent problem after I got it. It was pretty eratic and the smallest bumps would unsettle it. Some days it'd stick on 0 MPH (it has been converted). EML came on and Subaru wanted £150 to change the speed sensor on the gear box with no guarantee to fix the problem. (FYI I got to the speed sensor in about 20 mins - strut brace off, intercooler off and it's a plug on top of the gearbox - don't touch the turbo!!!) it's toasty. I gave it a clean with an airgun and pieced everything back together.

All OK for a week before it started again and this time when the speedo read 0 MPH the car violently shook above 4500 RPM. This is where Scoobynet helped! I can't remember who (but BIG thanks) said that it the ECU doesn't receive a speed signal it'll not let the engine go over 4500 RPM. So to cut this essay short, I removed the clock set from the dash (steering wheel down, 2 screws in dash, then 3 in clock set) and checked the wiring from my speedo convertor to the clock set and ECU. I undone all of it, cleaned it and put it all back together with new leccy tape. Finally I cleaned the plud head into the speedo. After carefully putting this back together it has never worked better. And no manner of bumps in the road can put it off.

My reason for posting, and joining, is to say hi and THANKS scoobynet, and with the hope that this may help someone else who has a similar problem. Don't let a Subaru dealer rip you off.