Notices

Info required for new turbo owner

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2007, 08:06 PM
LongJonnyGspot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info required for new turbo owner

Just bought my first impreza turbo. It's a Uk car MY99. This may sound a stupid question but would like to know what fuel to run this on. At the moment the car is totally standard but wanted to know if I can run on normal unleaded or am I best off using Shell Vpower or equivelent? Only thinking of fuel costs!
Also I am looking to get an exhaust system from cat downpipe back. I want it to remain MOT friendly so do I need to buy a centre pipe with cat or can I get away with a straight through. Am I right in believing there is a cat in downpipe as well as the centre section? Can anyone recommend a system to go for?
Sorry for sounding thick but I'm new to this! Much appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Old 04 September 2007, 08:09 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uk car should be happy on 95 ron but you'll find you may get a little more using super unleaded (97ron and above)
Old 04 September 2007, 08:16 PM
LongJonnyGspot
Scooby Regular

Thanks for quick reply, any info on exhausts?
Old 04 September 2007, 08:41 PM
knobby_2000
Scooby Regular

Probably not much help but I was a little concerned about the grade of fuel to use when I brought my Uk Impreza, I was told that it would run on the standard 95ron ok with no problems but it would suffer from a slight drop in performance..due to its lower burn?? (No info on how much but I dont think it would be drastic)....So I decided that I would run it on Tesco99 after resetting the ECU which is a fair trade off in price compared to leading petrol garages plus its got that little extra ummmph compared to the 97ron V/Plus/Super/Ultimate etc sold IMO....I was sold on the Tesco99 stuff so stuck with it after reading a review on Pistonheads website:

PistonHeads Headlines

I also replaced the center section thus removing the center cat.... Its made the car sound bloody lovely and 'perhaps' freed up the throttle response a bit...(may be just me).. With regards to the emmisions for the MOT, your right with the cat in the downpipe this should be capable of getting it through the MOT with no problems.

Enjoy ya ride!
Old 04 September 2007, 08:44 PM
LongJonnyGspot
Scooby Regular

Cheers Knobby, I'll try tesco.
Old 04 September 2007, 08:46 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll can leave the downpipe but can remove the centre cat and still past the MOT.
I run mine on 99ron (it's a 93wrx so does need the higher grade of fuel and where i live it's 95.9p a litre)
There are loads of companies that do impreza exhausts

Stainless exhausts manifolds headers
Blitz UK
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=76
Revolution Performance Motorstore :: Alloy Wheels, Tyres, Auto* Performance and Styling Parts
Old 04 September 2007, 08:51 PM
knobby_2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LongJonnyGspot
* At the moment the car is totally standard but wanted to know if I can run on normal unleaded or am I best off using Shell Vpower or equivelent? Only thinking of fuel costs!
If your thinking of fuel costs why did you buy an Impreza?

She will drink the golden stuff like its a free redbull and vodka friday night at the local nightclub if allowed to with all the mods that will try to entice you

But you will love every milli second!

Last edited by knobby_2000; 04 September 2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04 September 2007, 09:29 PM
LongJonnyGspot
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, the missus just came in and read this, her response was " yeah, why did you buy the impreza". She nags about the fuel bill, never mind I'll go have a vodka and redbull myself!
Old 05 September 2007, 08:04 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

my impreza i get about 140-160 miles to a full tank or tesco 99 but dwn here its only 97.9 94 wrx jap import
Old 06 September 2007, 05:14 PM
knobby_2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LongJonnyGspot
cheers guys, the missus just came in and read this, her response was " yeah, why did you buy the impreza". She nags about the fuel bill, never mind I'll go have a vodka and redbull myself!
Nah they are not too bad really all depends on how you drive it!
Boost everywhere and you will notice the consumption!....I get about 250 to a tank on a run with town work included....all depends who's behind or in front of me though that can change a lot again depending on who is trying to catch up..... lol

My missus was a little worried about the fuel costs. But after letting her drive it a couple of times she didnt mention it again oddly?....and even stranger was the fact she had a smile on her face

Personally I think the Uk car is a little better on fuel but its all down to the driver at the end of the day.

Last edited by knobby_2000; 06 September 2007 at 05:18 PM.