Failing Maf??

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2007, 12:27 AM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failing Maf??

Hey guys hopefully someone can help?

Whilst driving home tonight (fairly spirited) I took my car to 5500rpm in third gear and all of a sudden it was like hitting a brick wall! The car violently cut out or miss fired but once it happened I back right off.

Car drives fine, sounds fine and it doesnt do this all the time but something must be a miss.

This has happened twice in the past few days, I only had the MAF sensor replaced some six months ago, would it be on its way out or could it also be something else?

Car is a UK spec Impreza Turbo (year 2000)

Any constructive help appreciated.
Old 30 August 2007, 01:48 AM
subaruian
Scooby Regular

do you have oe airbox or cone style airfilter?
Old 30 August 2007, 10:08 AM
big bad jon
Scooby Regular

this is veru interesting as the same thing has happened to me a few times on my 03 wrx. i have a typhone style wing induction kit fitted.
Old 30 August 2007, 11:08 AM
RBGUS
Scooby Regular

could be maf related as they really are a weak point on my99/00.
Old 30 August 2007, 01:33 PM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Could also be fuel cut. Do you have a boost guage? Check it's reading and see if it ever spikes over the usual.
Old 30 August 2007, 03:55 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same happened to me-backfire and then no power...
i've narrowed it down to oil from the induction kit coating the MAF and blowing it.Have heard that if the circs are the same,then the MAF can be cleaned with clutch/brake cleaner.Unfortunately i've got a new age and you cant clean them so am trying to order a cheap one as i type
Have heard better reports about the K+N typhoon so i hope big bad jon is wrong,as i've just bought one
Old 30 August 2007, 04:22 PM
karllap
Scooby Regular

I have a working maf of a 2001 bug eye that I paid £30 for only to find it wasn't the maf but a boost solenoid problem.

If ny wants it they can have it for the £30 I paid + couple quid p+P.
Old 30 August 2007, 05:31 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOLD!!! PM me please
Old 30 August 2007, 07:03 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

do you have oe airbox or cone style airfilter?
I have a standard airboxs

Could also be fuel cut. Do you have a boost guage? Check it's reading and see if it ever spikes over the usual.
Ive got a boost gauge fitted, every now & then it might slightly boost higher, sometime 20psi other times 22psi depending on the weather (cold/hot etc)

When my Maf failed 6 months ago, it was very much the same, but it went in to a sort of limp mode, car would not boost and it would not go past three or four thousand rpms.

Problem is I could go take it for another quick blast and would not have any problems at all, but you just cant help thinking something is wrong.

Ill take it to a garage very soon, hopefully it will be something simple, any further ideas lads?
Old 30 August 2007, 08:14 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Run a self test, that will show you if any sensors are at fault.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:49 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Run a self test, that will show you if any sensors are at fault.
Just ran a self test, read through the guide that someone has previously posted up in another thread.

It did not indicate any faults at all, the check engine light just kept flashing at the same speed approxs 1 second between pulses.

Im stumped at the moment, maybe it just needs a good service, new spark plugs etc? as they havent been changed in a fair while.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:52 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

22psi will make it go into fuelcut.
unless you have some "anti" device installed.
ECU will go into fuelcut if boost is high for long enough time.
Old 30 August 2007, 09:01 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this is relevant as car was obviously hot, but I had a very similar problem that proved to be my O2 sensor although this was worse when cold it did have the effect of hitting a brick wall, also no error code registered on ecu! I sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if wrong!
Old 30 August 2007, 09:02 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

22psi will make it go into fuelcut.
unless you have some "anti" device installed.
ECU will go into fuelcut if boost is high for long enough time.
Really? im no mechanic but th car has been mapped and has a uprated fuelpump (Walbro?) so would it really be this?

It does feel like the fueling cuts out but it only has done it twice , other times I could be on boost flat out for quite some time!

I didnt think it there would be a limit to what boost it could run? assuming it has been mapped and has the correct fueling parts etc?
Old 30 August 2007, 09:11 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hitting a brick wall is also how people describe fuel surge. How much did you have in the tank, and was you cornering at the time?
Old 30 August 2007, 09:13 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

Ah didn't tell it was mapped. if they mapped it correctly fuel cut should not be a problem due to boost. but still sounds like fuel cut. most probably caused by some other problem seen by ecu.
difficult to tell which without the errorcode.
Old 31 August 2007, 01:26 AM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Hitting a brick wall is also how people describe fuel surge. How much did you have in the tank, and was you cornering at the time?
Not corning but going up a hill at the time & only had about at best a quarter of a tank left.

When you say fuel surge do you mean too much fuel was being pumped in at full throttle?

When I had the Maf changed it was put on the rolling road just to check all the fueling was ok, it was noted the car was running on the rich side and you can smell petrol but I thought all Impreza were like this due to them being amazingly bad on fuel consumption!

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 31 August 2007, 07:12 AM
spikeymt
Scooby Regular

i had same problem here was hitting the wall at 6000rpm....I turned my mind upside down trying to figure out what was happening...i Changed all 4 coils with a new set..i changed the cam position sensor,i changed the plugs,cleaned the Maf and still same problem....now yesterday i checked the fuel pressure and to my surprise i found the fuel pressure was sitting at 3.5 bar at idle with vac pipe on.....dont know how this happened but i re adjusted the pressure to 2.4 bar at idle with vac on...and took the car for a ride....i did hit the wall another few times but then all of a sudden it dissapeared and power was back on reving all the way to red line....my conclusion is that possibly the extra amount of fuel was glazing the spark plugs making them less efficient especially at high revs and high boost.....at least thats what im thinking...but i also noticed that the boost pressure is back to normal at 0.85bar while when i had this problem it was almost reaching 1 bar...so it could also be that the boost solenoid was clogged and possibly began working again after all the brake cleaner i used...Hope the problem does not come back again on me as it was really annoying.......The Car is a 94 WRX import...
hope that helps a bit to solve your problem although i dont know exactly what solved mine.......Cheers Mark
Old 31 August 2007, 11:15 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Baker
Not corning but going up a hill at the time & only had about at best a quarter of a tank left.

When you say fuel surge do you mean too much fuel was being pumped in at full throttle?
May have been that then if you were under a quarter.
What I mean by fuel surge is not enought fuel getting through to the injectors from the tank/pump. As there is not loads of fuel in the tank, with it swishing around through cornering or going up a hill, the fuel pump is trying to pump something that is not there. Like when you are trying to get the last bit of drink from a cup with a straw. You tilt the cup, but the straw is not near the remaining drink. I hear its pretty common in classics.
I tend not to give it some when I'm under a quarter on the tank just in case.

Saxo Boy is one of the the most infamous victims of this. Read his thread here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...uel-surge.html
Old 31 August 2007, 08:14 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Just read the thread about saxo boy and fuel surge, it does sound exactly like this and it has only happend when the tank has been below a quarter.

I usually never let the tank run that low, well apart from the past two weeks or so, Ill think ill fill the old girl up and take her for a spin and see what happens.

Wish me luck