Notices

How good is my top mount intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2007, 12:11 PM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is my top mount intercooler?

Bit of help please - Last november i added a vf35, warlbro 255, and fuel reg to my full de-cat and eku-tek previously running a steady 265bhp. Was going to go for a front mount but came across a bigger top mount from flat4online which is allegedly good for 375 bhp?? As i saved about £300 from having a fmic bought and fitted i was feeling quite smug. But as the months have passed i have been questioning this decision. I know its all about the keeping the intake temperatures down, and on the scoobyclinic rollers my car gave out 303bhp (my00 uk turbo 2000) with the current mods.

As summer is supposed to be nearly here i'm wondering how i know if my larger topmount is doing the job. Excuse my lack of knowledge but would i only be able to tell if it was working properly if my engine temp was staying in the normal mid position?

I mean as far as i know i might of got the same figures from the standard intercooler? Bit of help/guidance would be appreciated.

cheers steve
Old 21 May 2007, 12:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the larger top mount will be helping, but not much. should have gone front mount im afraid.
Old 21 May 2007, 01:03 PM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

ok, just trying to get my head round this. I have seen for example an 03 uk sti running the tsl tuning package of 333 bhp on the standard topmount all day long? the intercooler which is on my car is bigger than an 03 uk sti top mount so in theory should it be able to handle more power or the warmer weather? (if we get it)

cheers steve
Old 21 May 2007, 01:19 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

I would have thought the standard STI 7/8 Top mount would have been better or at least as good as any of the after market top mounts Ive seen for sale. Front mount seems to be the way to go and the way I went.
Old 21 May 2007, 01:55 PM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

I still have the original intercooler, suppose it would be a good test to do a power run with the current bigger top mount and then a power run with the original one. I will be kicking myself if it still does the same power with the original intercooler! as i should of gone fmic first time round and enjoyed the gains of cooler charge. Doh!!!
Old 21 May 2007, 02:04 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

An FMIC will add about 10bhp due to you being able to use more ignition advance, you will run cooler charge temps but you will have to live with the lag.
Old 21 May 2007, 02:23 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Hoff
An FMIC will add about 10bhp due to you being able to use more ignition advance, you will run cooler charge temps but you will have to live with the lag.

I dident really notice any major lag at all to be honest.
Old 21 May 2007, 02:26 PM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

cheers for the input guys, but what if i put trust in my bigger topmount and port and wrap my headers and up-pipe? will this bring temps down enough to have the same effect as a mighty fmic?
Old 21 May 2007, 04:11 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Have you made any changes to the undertray. You might have a latger TMIC but are still only using the same capacity as before unless you mod the undertray to flow air to the whole of the new TM. IMO you will be fine with a top mount as long as your not WOT from sat at lights for 5 minutes.
Mike
Old 21 May 2007, 04:35 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, when a FMIC is/has been fitted, is another re-map required???
And i thought a STI 8 Cool er was good for 350+
Old 21 May 2007, 05:52 PM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

in respect to changing the undertray, as far as i was aware it was just bolted on i.e direct replacement? anyone else got one of these flat4online bigger top mounts. As ive mentioned nit had any dramas with it, obviously want as much safe power as possible

cheers
Old 21 May 2007, 06:41 PM
snowy78
Scooby Regular

I have a upgraded bigger STI V2 TMIC WITH samco hoses and I have no idea if its helping cool my engine like you say all temp readings are the same as my previous original one ? Hope it is though !!
Old 21 May 2007, 06:55 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

When I plan to go to a bigger TMIC it will be something that's well proven and of top quality, most probably Hyperflow.
Old 21 May 2007, 07:08 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRA
When I plan to go to a bigger TMIC it will be something that's well proven and of top quality, most probably Hyperflow.
Think i`ll go for the APS...
Old 21 May 2007, 07:22 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
I have a Hyperflow on my sti7, must say its a great top mount.

Im running a lot of other mods though

I had a Harvey smith fron mount on my last classic running 350bhp and must say this has less lag than the front mount.

If i was you i would go for a decent front mount if doing some big mods or Hyperflow top mount up to 400bhp, none of them cheap ebay shi*te front mounts though.
Old 21 May 2007, 07:53 PM
jturbo
Scooby Regular

hi mate get one of these and done with it
Old 21 May 2007, 08:08 PM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

get the distinct impression i should of had the front mount when i added my vf35, fuel pump and regulator etc!!! i guess i might of squeezed a bit more than 303 bhp. So in theory adding a front mount, set of nismo 550cc injectors i could prob max by my 00 uk classic to around 330 bhp safely??? that would be nice!!! and enough for me i rekon....... Any thoughts???
Old 21 May 2007, 08:19 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big power numbers can be had out of top mounts. Just not for long and not consistently. Just about any front mount, however cheap it is, will nail down charge temperatures under any condition in a way that even the best top mounts struggle to get close to. We're talking about being constantly 'on it', whether hacking round the back roads or track, long 5th gear pulls and top speed runs on the motorway, or just sitting at the lights.

The standard classic top mounts are all basically cack for keeping charge temperatures down once you start to ask a lot of them. The STi7 and 8's in conjunction with their revised scoop is supposed to be very capable and AFAIK there's not a lot of benefit to be had with an aftermarket one over an STi8.

Having recently fitted an Autobahn 88 FMIC kit, if I could have got an STi8 TMIC and the bits I'd have needed to fit it, for the same £250 as the FMIC cost me, I might well have done it. But when you add up the cost of the STi8 TMIC which people still charge a lot for, plus the scoop and undertray, plus the extensive modding to the engine bay for it to fit...an FMIC just made a whole lot of sense and an STi8 TMIC didn't at all.
Old 21 May 2007, 09:05 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

FMIC all the way, it's just so much more efficient.
Old 21 May 2007, 10:38 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffi
Think i`ll go for the APS...
Have been told that the APS TMIC is not as good as the Hyperflow offering. Hyperflow uses billet end tanks whereas the APS sticks with cast end tanks just like the OE TMIC, which isn't good apparently.

Check this thread out, from page 3 onwards.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ight=hyperflow