ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what's a open source remap?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2015, 10:14 AM
Mister:E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's a open source remap?

Hi guys was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what a open source remap is and what's the benefits?

I have a subaru bugeye V7 fully forged 2.5 conversion with loads of mods and wanted to have it remapped again, engine was running 450bhp in a P1 before I put it in my V7 and I want to get it upto or more than 450bhp.. I have a Tdo5 20g turbo, 850cc injectors, P1 heads, FPR, front mount intercooler, walbro fuel pump, AVCR boost controller and many other things I've done to it all I need now is a good remap.. had loads of ppl recommending Thwaite Developments who I've emailed and will be getting my remap from just wanted feedback on what a open source remap is, any feedback is appreciated thanks.

Last edited by Mister:E; 17 September 2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 17 September 2015, 10:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Open source is just ripped off ecutek software thats been rebranded in the US, so you dont have to pay a license fee to have your car mapped using it. The poeple who do it wont admit that of course lol

Comes down to the capabilities of the mapper as to how good the map is though, bear in mind you get zero support from the software developers if something goes wrong or isn't right.

I had my old hawk Ecutek'd and was very pleased i did when I kept getting a fault code coming up even though all was fine. I believe in the end they ended up changing a capped setting to one that an be manualy adjusted if needed.
Old 17 September 2015, 10:53 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a fully forged engine and lots of mods, and also pushing for big power. I'd definitely recommend proper standalone management like Syvecs for example. You'll get much more support, and it'll offer loads more features than a basic open source map. Expensive though.... but if you've spent a small fortune getting your car to this spec, why scrimp on the management and mapping?
Old 17 September 2015, 11:04 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste333
If you have a fully forged engine and lots of mods, and also pushing for big power. I'd definitely recommend proper standalone management like Syvecs for example. You'll get much more support, and it'll offer loads more features than a basic open source map. Expensive though.... but if you've spent a small fortune getting your car to this spec, why scrimp on the management and mapping?
Have to say i agree with this, you spend 10k on an engine then worry about spending 2k on an ecu. Doesn't sound cheap, but if it saves the engine it is very cheap
Old 17 September 2015, 11:53 AM
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for all the input I think I'll spend a lil bit more and invest for a better and longer life for the engine.
Old 17 September 2015, 12:41 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

There are different alternatives from the expense of units like Syvecs which will be overly capable. For example I am currently running Hydra, normally about £450 complete (second hand inc base map, map sensor etc). But I am going to Alkatek as I am looking to learn to map in the future.
The only down side to Hydra is that some mappers find the interface difficult to use.
I would choose your mapper, then choose your ECU. This way you will harness the best out of a map as they will be in their comfort zone.

Open source have limited defined parameters, its like buying a knock off part IMO, you haven't a leg to stand on if it all goes pete tong! Only for people who want "pops and bangs" for outside McDonalds car parks without an understanding of what is actually happening.

If your interested in the Hydra let me know before it finds fleabay.
Old 17 September 2015, 01:56 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 0racle
There are different alternatives from the expense of units like Syvecs which will be overly capable. For example I am currently running Hydra, normally about £450 complete (second hand inc base map, map sensor etc). But I am going to Alkatek as I am looking to learn to map in the future.
The only down side to Hydra is that some mappers find the interface difficult to use.
I would choose your mapper, then choose your ECU. This way you will harness the best out of a map as they will be in their comfort zone.

Open source have limited defined parameters, its like buying a knock off part IMO, you haven't a leg to stand on if it all goes pete tong! Only for people who want "pops and bangs" for outside McDonalds car parks without an understanding of what is actually happening.

If your interested in the Hydra let me know before it finds fleabay.
I've emailed Thwaite Developments to see if they can fit me in for a remap and recommend what ecu and kit to go with before the mapping takes place, so far their feedback from customers is 100% and overwhelming.. thanks to all for your input 😉
Old 17 September 2015, 03:04 PM
StueyBII
Scooby Regular

Personally although I am a big propononent of open source I wouldn't use it in my car. Not that there is anything inherently wong but its not like you can just reset if like normal software.

Also I would question the support and backup. Ecutek don't spend millions in R and D just for the fun of it

Of course, your car, your choice.
Old 17 September 2015, 03:11 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of the doom merchants have actually used the likes of Romraider, visited their forums or asked for assistance on using it?
Ive been using it since 2012, interestingly nothing has blown up, fried nor bricked in dozens and dozens of testing new settings on my wrx (bigger turbo, injectors etc).

If you arent willing to try something then you are ignorant to its capabilities.
Old 17 September 2015, 04:14 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

whats carberry rom like?
Old 17 September 2015, 04:35 PM
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to the main man Mark at Thwaite's said he would recommend one of his own brand AlkaTek ecu which comes with Twin boost maps, Anti-lag, Launch control and all the other pops bangs and whistles as he described all supplied fitted & mapped for £1380 inc vat.. did say something about as my engine being a 2.5ltr it requires much more air intake and with this set up it takes away the MAF sensor.. I think after speaking to him I can honestly say I feel comfortable and confident in putting my car in his hands and letting him do what he's best at.
Old 17 September 2015, 05:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

'his own brand AlkaTek ecu'

eh? so its not actualy an alcatek? (or however its spelt)
Old 17 September 2015, 05:33 PM
Scooby Regular

Sorry what i meant is one of the brands he stocks and recommends.
Old 17 September 2015, 05:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

ah k.

personaly if its doing alot of track work i'd go syvecs, also dump the boost controller, thats what the ecu id for
Old 17 September 2015, 08:08 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the opensource software like romraider is entirely seperate to ECUtek software, but they both do the same thing - access the file/settings saved on the ECU and allow you to change them before saving it back on the car again. There are many pro mappers about who offer opensource maps and the results will be just as good as they would get with ECUtek.

One of the big benefits of ECUtek would be the ability to call them and get something looked into right away, but there's still no gaurantee that you'll get a new table or ECU type defined the same day as their people will have to go work on it for you.

For *most* ECU types there are more than enough tables defined to map in the mods you've mentioned above and more.

but it's absolute woffle to try and imply that opensource doesn't have access to enough tables/settings to map the car properly. There isn't even a hydra dealer listed in the UK:
http://www.hydraems.com/dealers/

Where's there are plenty of mappers using opensource for more than the mcdonalds fire show.

That being said, I do agree with what's been said above - no point flashing all the cash on the hardware then skimping out for the glue that holds all the parts together. What I would say is find a mapper your happy with and go talk to them, find what products they've used, what they are familiar with and what they recommend. They will be your first port of call if something isn't right with the car, they will be the ones with your engines life in their hands when it's being setup. If the car blows up on the dyno there's no amount of useless product bashing on this forum that will save you.
Old 18 September 2015, 09:05 AM
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads for the the help and info
Old 18 September 2015, 10:05 AM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bludgod
the opensource software like romraider is entirely seperate to ECUtek software, but they both do the same thing - access the file/settings saved on the ECU and allow you to change them before saving it back on the car again. There are many pro mappers about who offer opensource maps and the results will be just as good as they would get with ECUtek.

One of the big benefits of ECUtek would be the ability to call them and get something looked into right away, but there's still no gaurantee that you'll get a new table or ECU type defined the same day as their people will have to go work on it for you.

For *most* ECU types there are more than enough tables defined to map in the mods you've mentioned above and more.

but it's absolute woffle to try and imply that opensource doesn't have access to enough tables/settings to map the car properly. There isn't even a hydra dealer listed in the UK:
http://www.hydraems.com/dealers/

Where's there are plenty of mappers using opensource for more than the mcdonalds fire show.

That being said, I do agree with what's been said above - no point flashing all the cash on the hardware then skimping out for the glue that holds all the parts together. What I would say is find a mapper your happy with and go talk to them, find what products they've used, what they are familiar with and what they recommend. They will be your first port of call if something isn't right with the car, they will be the ones with your engines life in their hands when it's being setup. If the car blows up on the dyno there's no amount of useless product bashing on this forum that will save you.
big thumbs up for this post
Old 18 September 2015, 10:32 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
whats carberry rom like?

sorry missed this one, carberry is pretty good - lots of advancement in the past few revisions so you can run it on a normal car now thanks to TGV control. I've used it on a handful of cars now and plan to use it on many more in the future!
Old 18 September 2015, 01:30 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be sorted with Mark looking after your car mate.

I've had Mark remap my Apexi ECU on my old car and an Alcatek (a/l, l/c etc) on my current car. His mapping is top notch.

Always find it interesting watching him map and he will explain what he is doing and why if you are nosey like me.

Paul