Notices

Engine build for 3k ??

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2007, 05:02 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine build for 3k ??

just bought a fmic to go with the apexi fc and new blitz exhaust i haven't fitted yet ,as i was taking bits off to fit the fmic i started wondering if there is any benifit to keep modifiying my engine or should just have the whole engine done i have an imported 95 wrx witch is pretty high mileage is it more cost effective to have an sti engine put in 2.5 or 2.0 ??? i don't know witch ... i don't have a massive budget because i have spent a lot on wheels suspension and facelift bits over the winter , but i don't want to be having to re change bits next year if i want more power if that makes sense so i need a base i can keep improving on cause obviously things like changing the gear box are going to limit power at the minute is 2-3 thousand going to be enough to make a start??... i'm from shropshire so zen performance are my first port of call but i was after opinions and baciacally someone to say " yes u won't regret spending the money on ??? engine " i need to be motivated
thanx sorry for the story
chris
Old 17 May 2007, 05:05 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

3 grand wont get you one i'm afraid not once its built or fitted
Old 17 May 2007, 05:40 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

I paid just over 3K for a bottom end rebuild with quality parts - wasn't forged though. That was on a 98 STi with 113000 miles. Just how much more punishment can your 12 year old engine take? Get it rebuilt.
Old 17 May 2007, 05:46 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Pugsley, have you thought about API engines in Leamington, very very good aswell, just another option....
Old 17 May 2007, 05:48 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

thats what i was thinking........ how about having a newish engine fitted with out the rebuild new sti have really strong bottom ends anyway don't they so 400bhp ish wouldn't be far off....... would it
Old 17 May 2007, 05:50 PM
New_scooby_04

From Zen's:

The customer required a rebuild of a standard engine after an incident whereby the gudgeon pin from one of the pistons becoming dislodged, went through the piston and badly scored the liner of the block. The build required a replacement block, 1 piston, 1 conrod (balanced to match the 3 good rods), full sets of bearings and rings, along with all gaskets, o-ring seals etc:

Give David at Api a call too!

Used EJ20 block = £80 +vat (£94 inc)

Hone block = £62.50 +vat (£73.44 inc)

ACL heavy duty main/big end bearing set = £155 +vat (£182.12 inc)

2L cast piston = £45 +vat (£52.87 inc)

2L ring set = £130 +vat (£152.75 inc)

Used conrod (including balancing) = £50 +vat (£58.75 inc)

2x 483 triple layer steel uprated head gaskets = £35 +vat (£41.12 inc)

2 x head to exhaust manifold gaskets = £16 +vat (£18.80 inc)

2 x inlet manifold gaskets = £14 +vat (£16.45 inc)

5 miscellaneous O-ring seals = £12.86 +vat (£15.11 inc)

Oil filter = £5.63 +vat (£6.61 inc)

Sump washer = 93p +vat (£1.09 inc)

Millers CRO 10w/40 fully synthetic running-in oil 5L = £12.81 +vat (£15.05 inc)

24 hours of labour = £1008 +vat (£1184.40 inc)

Total = £1627.73 +vat (£1912.58 inc)
Old 17 May 2007, 05:59 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

well i am probably being a bit hard on api but i contacted them 3 times about parts needed for a facelift i know they are probably very busy but the guy i spoke to said i 'd have to try again when i could speak to the main guy so he could help me 2 fob offs later i was told he'd ring me back in 10 mins ....... that was 2 months ago so i went else where for the parts .... i'm sure they are a really good company and don't want to say abad word about them but i was just left with the impression i wasn't spending enough to be important to them but maybe with the recommendations on here i'll try them again and put it down to an off day
chris
Old 17 May 2007, 06:21 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pugsleygti
thats what i was thinking........ how about having a newish engine fitted with out the rebuild new sti have really strong bottom ends anyway don't they so 400bhp ish wouldn't be far off....... would it
I think if you were to fit a complete newish engine, it can't be too recent because it won't match up to your wiring loom and sensors, for example.
Old 17 May 2007, 06:29 PM
New_scooby_04

well i am probably being a bit hard on api but i contacted them 3 times about parts needed for a facelift i know they are probably very busy but the guy i spoke to said i 'd have to try again when i could speak to the main guy so he could help me 2 fob offs later i was told he'd ring me back in 10 mins ....... that was 2 months ago so i went else where for the parts .... i'm sure they are a really good company and don't want to say abad word about them but i was just left with the impression i wasn't spending enough to be important to them but maybe with the recommendations on here i'll try them again and put it down to an off day
chris
That's unusual! To some extent companies with a good rep, like APi can become victims of their own success and this kind of thing can happen. I'm sure David will be alarmed to hear of this though.

Give David a PM mate, he posts on here. Once you've got his attention you're assurred of a prompt response.

ns04
Old 17 May 2007, 07:36 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

just bought a fmic to go with the apexi fc and new blitz exhaust i haven't fitted yet ,as i was taking bits off to fit the fmic i started wondering if there is any benifit to keep modifiying my engine or should just have the whole engine done i have an imported 95 wrx witch is pretty high mileage is it more cost effective to have an sti engine put in 2.5 or 2.0 ??? i don't know witch ... i don't have a massive budget because i have spent a lot on wheels suspension and facelift bits over the winter , but i don't want to be having to re change bits next year if i want more power if that makes sense so i need a base i can keep improving on cause obviously things like changing the gear box are going to limit power at the minute is 2-3 thousand going to be enough to make a start??... i'm from shropshire so zen performance are my first port of call but i was after opinions and baciacally someone to say " yes u won't regret spending the money on ??? engine " i need to be motivated
thanx sorry for the story
chris
Phone Zen with your budget and what type of car you want and they won't steer you wrong.

I recently had my brothers STI rebuilt as a 2.5 and my own 2.0 block strengthened. Both engines have there advantages and you won't be dissapointed with the result. https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-thi...zards-zen.html
I wasn't
Old 17 May 2007, 07:40 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

yeah i will do i'm sure i could trust them to work on my baby ... was just a bit annoyed really ... i'll try give him a message and see if he thinks putting a newer engine in is an affordable option thanx for your advice
chris
Old 18 May 2007, 12:51 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm here if you need me. David
Old 18 May 2007, 03:03 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

ok chap i'll send u a message
cheers chris
Old 18 May 2007, 03:20 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

If your on a budget and dont mind taking a small risk then buy from the states, you can get a built 2.5l bottom end out there with forged pistons/rods for about $4k which is £2k these days (ie same price as a stock 2.0 weak rebuild in the UK) and a stock US 2.5 sti bottom end is only about $2k. Sure you need to get it airmailed over but Ron at axis can sort all of this out and you really do get way more for your money than the UK tuners can offer with the current exchange rate. Of course, where the UK tuners win hand over fist is that pretty much all of those mentioned on here give A1 customer support and will fix any problems you have, buying from the states means support is either non existant or very costly to you.

Personally I have decided to buy a 2.5 from the states, and take it to eurospec2000 to pop into my classic (not well known on here but probably THE most respected GTO/FTO tuners in the UK, have always taken my cars to them and got nothing but A1 service at very cheap prices). If anything does go wrong then I'll face up to paying it as and when with the knowledge that fixing any problems will just push the cost up to what a UK tuner would have charged in the first place, if all goes to plan I get to save a grand or two.
Old 18 May 2007, 03:36 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

thats one option i hadn't really thought about ... like u say its a risk... plus i'd feel slightly cheeky importing an engine cheaper then taking it somewhere to have it fitted and set up ... i wish i new abit more about the engine side of cars
chris
Old 18 May 2007, 04:39 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

thats one option i hadn't really thought about ... like u say its a risk... plus i'd feel slightly cheeky importing an engine cheaper then taking it somewhere to have it fitted and set up ... i wish i new abit more about the engine side of cars
chris
I wouldn't feel cheeky at all, your walking in with the engine asking them to put it in for you and in return you pay them to do the job, its just a bit less of a job than them rebuilding it in house. Ultimately they are still providing the expertice of fitting and tuning the new engine, and your paying them for that, if you feel any one place is charging too much then get a quote elsewhere - pleanty of good subaru builders/tuners out there these days to compete with each other.
Old 18 May 2007, 05:36 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i have a 2ltr built short block i will be selling, it has a good spec

Last edited by stevebt; 18 May 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 18 May 2007, 11:42 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

what u class as a good spec and how come u selling it ?
Old 19 May 2007, 09:46 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

what u class as a good spec and how come u selling it ?
YHPM , RCM pistons and a jdm 2003 block im selling due to going 2.5ltr closed deck
Old 19 May 2007, 10:05 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a built bottom end done recently spec includes a semi closed deck block, wiseco pistons, lateral rods, later crank, ACL bearings and refurbed inlet manifold. All done and dusted this came to £2600 from pennine subaru in hebden bridge.

Banny
Old 19 May 2007, 11:08 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

3k might just get you a build with forged pistons and uprated rods for 400hp. If it's still a good engine, it saves a good deal of money on the cost of the build. we're booked up until end of June though.
Old 20 May 2007, 03:57 AM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

do i get fire extinguishers built in to haha ... i'm going to have a word with my bank manager then ring round a few places . i would like to bring it to zen mainly because of the mapping of my apexi fc
thanx for your help

chris
Old 20 May 2007, 07:07 AM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

do i get fire extinguishers built in to haha ...

chris