Notices

Whos a decent engine builder in Plymouth?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2007, 11:52 PM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos a decent engine builder in Plymouth?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good engine builder in the Plymouth area?

I have a ej257 short block on its way & needing a trustworthy & sensibly priced mechanic.

Cheers
Old 09 February 2007, 10:43 AM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Dont know about price but Alan Jeffery in Plymouth could be a good place to start ?

Or maybe AP motors ?

Dave
Old 09 February 2007, 11:20 AM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Alan Jeffery - Engine Tuner

AP Motors Ltd - Home
Old 09 February 2007, 12:28 PM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Claaarkio
Cheers, Alan Jeffreys has just quoted the following:

Head Overhaul- £200 + vat
Labour- £860 + vat

With me supplying all parts.

Does that sound reasonable? I nearly passed out. I know its alot of work tho & I normally use AJ.

Waiting on a quote from AP atm.
Old 09 February 2007, 04:38 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would recommend AJ
Old 09 February 2007, 05:37 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

If it was me i would not take it there and have someone like api do all the work for you. I've heard some nasty stories about other places. I know another place i could reccommend but there a long way away and don;t have the reputation like API
Old 09 February 2007, 06:36 PM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. It needs to be local really as my head gastet probably won't last a long journey I would have to stop every 20 mins to top up the water.

I normally use AJ 1x service 2x maps in the last 12 months & 1 clutch replacement. They do take responsibility for their work like professionals should. But I am finding that their prices are a little steep for my current budget, they do know whats what & quoted straight away. I will probably still get them to do the head overhaul & mapping.

I may have found a little gem at Star Garage - Dave Parnell he has quoted £616.87 inc vat for all his labour. Seemed a decent bloke & knowledgable about Scoobs and gave me a quote within 5 minutes. Anyone else used Dave before?

Last edited by smokingkills; 09 February 2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: incorrect info
Old 09 February 2007, 06:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by smokingkills
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good engine builder in the Plymouth area?

I have a ej257 short block on its way & needing a trustworthy & sensibly priced mechanic.

Cheers
Take it to Api, or if its not drivable, Api can arrange collection. Api have a production line for engine rebuilds and do many subaru engines a week.

Andy
Old 09 February 2007, 06:57 PM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

Just had AP Motors call back who gave a decent quote of £500+ vat & courtesy car. That will do me.

I guess I'll get a 100mpg micra but it is better than the bus!

Thanks for all your input. I am on the right course for my budget now!
Old 09 February 2007, 07:33 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

[webmaster : removed attempt to advertise commercially without paying to support scoobynet like all reputable and trusted advertisers on scoobynet. All of this despite full knowledge that this is not permitted. Make your own mind up about the morals and business practices of this company, and whether you would trust your pride and joy with them.]

Last edited by ex-webby; 11 February 2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10 February 2007, 10:31 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

[webmaster : removed attempt to advertise commercially without paying to support scoobynet like all reputable and trusted advertisers on scoobynet. All of this despite full knowledge that this in not permitted. Make your own mind up about the morals and business practices of this company, and whether you would trust your pride and joy with them.]

Last edited by ex-webby; 11 February 2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11 February 2007, 01:26 AM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Hi Smokingkills.. nice to see you today, and glad we sorted that one out!
We are all ready for you, and your new engine will be just perfect...
Thanks very much for your time & for clarifiying things, I am chuffed that I know my car will be in safe hands

It turned out to be a great quote with all the extras

I tracked the engine on Fedex's website & it is in Stanstead- only a few more miles until it gets here
Old 11 February 2007, 10:37 AM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

Default To SN moderators

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
[webmaster : removed attempt to advertise commercially without paying to support scoobynet like all reputable and trusted advertisers on scoobynet. All of this despite full knowledge that this in not permitted. Make your own mind up about the morals and business practices of this company, and whether you would trust your pride and joy with them.]
SN moderators............. Does this stop traders defending themselves when wrong info is posted about them? - I got it wrong with what was included in AJ's quote. AJ corrected this whats the problem??? This censorship is petty to say the least

For what its worth AJ quote gave a crackin quote.

"removed attempt to advertise commercially without paying to support scoobynet like all reputable and trusted advertisers on scoobynet" I would be careful mods! JUST BECAUSE A TRADER DOESN'T SUBSCRIBE TO SN IT DOESN'T MAKE THEM ANY LESS REPUTABLE OR TRUSTED DOES IT??? I really think you guys should reword this!

A SN member shouldn't have to pay anything to defend themselves IMO a SN member should be able to defend themselves whether they pay you money or not.

Rant over

Last edited by smokingkills; 11 February 2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: update
Old 11 February 2007, 12:19 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Hey, there's nothing wrong with my morals! Ask my wife, mistress, and sister-in-law!
Old 11 February 2007, 01:37 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I wholeheartedly support the concept of traders paying to advertise and post commercial content. However, I don't consider the original posts of Alan Jeffery (which I read before censorship) to be commercial posting.

However, I do consider the posts of the webmaster to be potentially libellous, or at the very least slanderous (if the webmaster removes his posts), and in breach of the terms and conditions of Scoobynet.

Since the webmaster is the author and publisher, and posted twice with the same allegations, maybe he can be sued 4 times over!
Old 11 February 2007, 02:00 PM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

& to put "untrusted" under the username goes too far! Perhaps the moderators should have "unjustified until you subcribe!" under their username!!
Old 11 February 2007, 03:34 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Well, many thanks for your support there chaps!
All I intended was to clarify, rather than score brownie points.
I'm inclined to agree that the punishment doesn't appear to fit the "crime"
Shaun appears to be upset about the fact that my profile included my web address. As I was asked for one, I couldn't see why I shouldn't put it down! It's been there from day one.
Sorry if I didn't read small print somewhere, but a simple removal of a web link would do, rather than putting "untrusted" against my name. I've been blocked from access to my profile, so I can't change it either!
He might as well have put "untrustworthy" and have done with.
I've asked him to modify it, but he hasn't replied.
He has asked for £175 a month, so I can then post any corrections without being accused of "advertising" !
Old 11 February 2007, 04:17 PM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

Default How to avoid libel and defamation

Well this should make some interesting reading for Shaun @ SN-

BBC - Action Network - How to avoid libel and defamation

AJ- Hats off to you for being so calm about it!!
Old 11 February 2007, 04:50 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

It's a bit unfortunate, but I've had to make the point before about the internet being a publication the same as anywhere else.
I think anyone would consider the risk of serious consequences where a personal reputation and a trading name is involved, but I have no intention of creating that kind of fuss, as I'm sure SN will deal with it as soon as the error is realised.