Notices

lamco oil temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2001, 08:40 AM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - try putting your heater on full towards your feet and watch it go up. Then put the a/c or cold air down there and watch it go down?

Air intake temp = temperature of the air being sucked in to the engine?? How could that go up to 40 on a cold day.

It is quite feasible that the temp could be in the minus figures on a cold day and certainly up in to the 30s even 40s in some countries (maybe not Japan!) on a hot day so 50 max and -10 isn't too unrealistic is it?

Rikki
Confused

[Edited by Rikki 95WRX - 12/1/2001 8:42:18 AM]
Old 12 May 2001, 07:45 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay

The bit in my hand in the last pic is the sender, it just looks like a black bit of wire.

Hope this helps

Iain

edited to add the arrows

[Edited by Yee - 12/5/2001 8:08:15 PM]
Old 28 November 2001, 07:52 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Question

My my93wrx came with a lamco 3 gauge pod consisting of boost, volts and what I presume is an oil temp gauge. The boost and voltmeter are fine but the oil temp gauge has never worked. Their is wiring running from the back of it which disappears into spaghetti junction and I've no idea where it reappears in the engine bay. I've looked in vain for what could be a disconnected oil temp sensor but must confess I don't really know what I'm looking for. Will somebody put me out of my misery and tell me what I should be looking for and where it should be so I know if it's got one and it's been disconnected or it's been removed and I need a new one. ( if I do need a new sensor are they easy to fit and where do I get one from? ) cheers. pumpers.
Old 30 November 2001, 10:13 AM
dela
Scooby Regular

From what I understand, its quite likely that the oil temp sender is in a bung in you sump, or part of your sump plug.

Highly likely that its not been reconnected after an oil change.

dela
Old 30 November 2001, 06:14 PM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

I have seen a couple of WRX's with these Lamco gauges in the center - including mine

Took me ages to work out what the temperature one was for but it measures the air temperature within the car at least mine does. I think the sensor must be near your feet though because it goes up far quicker when you have the fan on hot directed towards your feet.
Old 30 November 2001, 08:21 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Rikki, I don't think it's interior air temp as the gauge reads from -10 to 50 c . It may be air intake temp though but I really don't know.
Dela, I've checked teh sump plug but can't see any sign of a temp gauge or wiring to it. thanks anyway.
anyone else? Just a thought but if it's air intake temp where would the sensor for that be located? somewhere near the intercooler I presume. HELP. pumpers.
Old 01 December 2001, 06:16 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

got the same set up on my 94 WRX import and was told (on this bbs) that they were the standard factory fittings for measuring turbo boost, electrics and oil temp - but the oil temp didn't make much sense, being calibrated from -10 to +50.

The comment above that it is air intake temp seems more logical, especially from yesterday's reading.

I was getting a bit concerned when the gauge registered +40, which was an unusually high reading, but the outside air temp yesterday was around 30 (for the first time this year).

So, I'll go along with the air intake theory.

Old 01 December 2001, 11:06 AM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Rikki, can't try anything with mine cos it doesn't work!! I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for finding the temp sensor. I've tried tracing the wires from the gauge but they disappear into the engine bay and I can't find where they reappear!!! If it's air intake temp, as I now suspect, could it be measuring the air temp in the engine after it's passed through the intercooler or am I talking crap?? anyone else with the same setup and what temps are you reading?? any boffins out there??? pumpers.
Old 01 December 2001, 11:09 AM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

phil, ur comments do seem logical - so wheres the sensor??? pumpers.
Old 01 December 2001, 07:47 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Guys
I have a MY 94 WRX with the three guages, I always thought that the temp was for oil. after reading Rikki's post I thought I would take a look.

I traced the wire through the bulk head it is tie-wraped to the pipe for the boost guage. The wire looks like a piece of black speaker wire. On the end there is a thermistor which is covered in black heat-shrink. Its not bolted to anything it just hangs on the end of the wire. I suppose you could put it anywhere, which would explain why different people get different results.
On my WRX it was next to the air filter.

If they are needed I could post some pic's.

Hope this helps and let me know if the pic's are needed.

Cheers
Iain

Old 02 December 2001, 05:49 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

so, is the consensus so far that the sensor for the guage is dangling somewhere in the engine bay, probably near the air intake?

Today, the outside air temp is about 20C, the gauge is reading 30C - so it still suggests the gauge is reading engine bay air temp.

Why would I want to know engine bay air temp?

It appears that engine performance is related to the amount of air in the chamber to be burnt - the more air, the more fuel can be burnt, therefore the higher the power output.

And the colder the air, the more dense the air and therefore the more air gets into the chamber for burning.

Therefore knowing the engine air temp is A USEFUL THING.

The only thought mitigating against the above is that (as stated by some-one), the really useful temp to know would be the air temp after it had left the intercooler ....?

DISCLAIMER - could be talking a load of rollox, but thought I'd run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes.
Old 02 December 2001, 02:26 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Phil
As the temp sender can be put anywhere couldnt it be put after the intercooler? It could be pushed into the turbo pipe, not sure if this would disrupt the air flow.

This would make the gauge quite useful as the sender could be moved around the car to take the temp of different parts of the engine bay if needed. (provided it was in a range between -10 & 50) I think

Last night I moved the sender into the ait intake tube for my K&N and went out for quick spin. The temp went from about 15oc (warm garage) to about 2oc when I was driving the car.

Cheers
Iain

Old 02 December 2001, 04:04 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

ian, pics would be nice please, then i can look for the sensor in my engine bay!! I don't think i've got one though. cheers pumpers.
Old 02 December 2001, 05:53 PM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

hmmmm mine still seems to be responsive to cabin air temp. Wack the a/c on towards the feet and the temp reading soon drops and vice versa
Old 02 December 2001, 06:19 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rikki
It could be that the sender has been fitted inside the cabin and not the engine bay.

Iain
Old 03 December 2001, 10:32 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

any chance of those pics ian?? cheers. pumpers.
Old 03 December 2001, 11:02 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Pumpers
I'm working on it, It should be there Tuesday pm / Wednesday am.
Cheers

Iain
Old 08 December 2001, 03:28 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

tx iain, i'll take a look tomorrow now i know what im looking for. anyone got any ideas where it ideally should be placed?? pumpers.