bug eye wrx sti dump valve

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2006, 09:37 PM
elreg_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bug eye wrx sti dump valve

hi folks, collect my wrx sti type uk prodrive on saturday, its my first subaru

not got any major plans for it untill after the winter is over.

want to get a dump valve for it asap tho, as a newcomer to the subaru world, what makes,models,etc....would you recomend?

wanting a nice noise aswell as reduced turbo lag.

budget of about £200

any help much appreciated

thanx david
Old 16 November 2006, 09:40 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Welcome Son
Old 16 November 2006, 09:47 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

welcome fellow bug sti prodrive owner... mine is black, yours is blue, theyare both awesome lol
Old 16 November 2006, 09:53 PM
wr rob
Scooby Regular

Beautiful car, picked up my 2003 WRX 2 weeks ago and love it
Yours looks lush!
Ordered a Turbosmart Dual Port off Demon Tweeks, will let you know what its like when i get it bro!
Old 16 November 2006, 09:54 PM
mm20515
Scooby Regular

Nice and clean looks well, dump valve is your first step then look at an induction kit worth it for the sound alone plus a feww extra BHP. Then the exhaust thats the order i worked in, good luck keep it between the hedges
Regards

MM
Old 16 November 2006, 09:55 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Many, many threads about the pros and cons of dump valves on here (use the search function on the top of the page under the ads). The only thing it will give you is the noise, it wont affect turbo lag. What it may do is mess up your fuelling leaving it uneven with overfuelling on lift off. To aid the turbo I'd say change the downpipe and up-pipe for decats which will give you quicker turbo spool up (but also an MOT failure - so you have to replace at least 1 cat for MOT).

My advice would be dont bother with a VTA dump valve. I have a HKS SSQV on a bugeye WRX and all it gives is a hisss and possible uneven running (Im taking it off to see if its that).

Save your 200 quid for something else, such as whiteline antirollbar(s) or even better a geometry setup or better brake pads (Mintex 1144, EBC Red work well or if you want to spend a little more Ferodo DS2500) maybe some braided hoses, a front splitter, a K&N panel filter to help it breathe better, a remap etc.

Thats my opinion, I'm sure others will have theirs too, but I'll keep my eye out for any 'my car is running crap' threads you post in the future to see if you fitted one lol.

Hope you love the car, just enjoy it how it is for a while

... and dont fit an induction kit without reading up about their pro's and con's either ! lol

Last edited by funkyspider; 16 November 2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 16 November 2006, 10:04 PM
elreg_sti
Scooby Regular

funkyspider thanks for the info, dont want to spoil the running of the car so would you recommend that if i do have a dump valve fitted i have a pro do it and then checked over to make sure fuelling etc is correct??

not sure bout de-cats etc, my previous car (not telling anyone what it was) had a de-cat pipe fitted and caused nothing but problems
Old 16 November 2006, 10:13 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Doesnt matter who fits it, there's very little adjustment you can do, some have a simple screw which affects spring pressure to stop it leaking when its supposed to be closed, but apart from that it it just does its dumping job.

I'd say 80% of ppl on here have at least 1 cat missing, probably 40% have, or are aiming at full decat systems. A remap will get the most from a decat system, but I dont believe it's entirely neccesary (ie wont break your car without a remap).

Use the search at the top of here

Decat
Whiteline ARB
Dump valves
remap

gives you some general feelings on the subjects and the order to think about the mods.

also this is a good read (notice the lack of a VTA dump valve being mentioned lol)
https://www.scoobynet.com/newage-imp...fications-376/

This is a particularly useful thread on the subject which makes me chuckle everytime I read it (and makes me more determined to get mine off !)
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...age+dump+valve

Last edited by funkyspider; 16 November 2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 16 November 2006, 10:20 PM
mm20515
Scooby Regular

Default Dump valve's

I'm on my 3 rd scobby which all have had dump valves fitted, i use bailey dv12 from scobby world, never had any probs can avarage 30 mpg if i drive easy