Notices

Scooby WRX non start Problem - HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2006, 11:04 AM
maniacmechanic1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby WRX non start Problem - HELP please

Hi to everyone. I have recently just got my first scooby and now im having a little problem and im hoping that one of you scoobynet users can help me.

My car is a P-reg uk model wrx 2.0 turbo

The other day as i was driving down the motorway doing a casual 70 mph the car started to cough and splutter. I eased of the revs and continued to plod down the motorway at 50. Every time i put my foot down a little the car spluttered as if it was out of fuel but this only happened once the turbo was kicking in if you know what i mean. Anyway, the car eventually lost all power and i ended up on the hard shoulder. I sat there for 15 mins trying to start the car with no success. Eventually it did start and i was able to limp back home. The power was dramatically lost and the car was struggling to go when the turbo kicked in. When i got home 20 mins later i left the car to cool down a little. After 30 mins i went back out and started her up. She started first time and idled fine. Once i tried to drive again it was back to coughing and spluttering.

I thought it could be fuel pump problem but when i removed it and powered it up on the workbench the pump was working fine. I also removed the fuel filter to see if it was blocked and it wasnt. But with the fuel pipe off and the car ignition on there was no fuel getting up to the filter. I tried cranking the engine to see if fuel pressure would build and show movement but it didnt. I cant find my owners handbook so i dont know where the fuel pump fuse is. Can anyone help me. Also can anyone suggest what other things to check.

I am praying that one of you guys has experienced this before and can help me out. My scooby looks so sad just sat on the drive. She needs to be driven again. A quick message to anyone who replys to me about this. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH.

Great site guys I love it.................... SCOOBYS RULE
Old 18 October 2006, 11:58 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Hi, sorry to hear you have problems

try do a diagnostics on the car and see what it comes up with

click the link below

Main Heading Goes Here

Then get back here, and we'll take it from there

Last edited by ReggieMY99; 18 October 2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 18 October 2006, 01:00 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the connections at the plug are good.

Simon
Old 18 October 2006, 01:08 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
check the connections at the plug are good.

Simon
Also

Check there is a live feed to the fuel pump with a multimeter, by probing the plug whilst cranking the car.

If there's no live feed to the fuel pump you are prob looking at a fuse or faulty immobiliser.

If there is a live feed, crank the car with the fuel pipe disconnected to the inlet manifold to see if the fuel is reaching the engine.

If theres fuel comming out of the pipe its not a fuel problem or it could be a week pump.

Last edited by Heple; 18 October 2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 18 October 2006, 01:12 PM
maniacmechanic1
Scooby Newbie

Default RE: Non start fault code

Hi again, I have done as advised and run the diagnostics test fro the ecu. The following code came up :

31 Throttle Position Sensor

I checked again to see if i had fuel reaching the fuel filter and still nothing there. Can anyone tell me where the fuse id for the fuel pump please. Also is the scooby fitted with a fuel cut off switch? if so where would that be found. Thanks again guys you are helping loads
Old 18 October 2006, 01:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no fuel cut off switch..

have you checked like suggested above you have voltage at the pump plug?

the fuse should be in the engine bay fuse box but not sure which one.. but check them all and the one by the accellerator pedal.

Simon
Old 18 October 2006, 04:13 PM
maniacmechanic1
Scooby Newbie

Default RE: Non start problem

Hello again, I have found the cause to the problem with the fuel starvation. It is an intermittant fault with the Fuel Pump. I now need to source one as my local dealer wants 302.15+vat for a replacement unit. Can anyone help me out? A used one will do as a temporary measure if you have one.

Once again thanks for all of your help with this matter

SCOOBYNET RULES
Old 18 October 2006, 04:24 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

get yourself an uprated walbro, about £90. Make sure you get a fitting kit with it. Try the likes of tsl, A S performance, API, Scoobyclinic