Notices

Poss MAF failure?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 09:50 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Poss MAF failure?

Got problems with my cars idle again(MY99 UK), this time the bloomin thing stalled on me at a set of lights, she don't sound too happy .

The last time it happened a member of scoobynet gave me a hand cleaning the boost solenoid, checking the MAF by removing it and reset the ECU, car worked fine after, until now that is, thinking of going to the place in Chelmsford tomorrow and getting the MAF replaced, anything else I could check myself? there's been quit a lot banging coming from the exhaust over the past few weeks due to what I guess is over fuelling, which is another symptom of a failed MAF but could also be symptoms of lots of other things I have know idea about any help would be appreciated

Spirit if your reading this any chance of a hand mate?
Old 22 September 2006, 11:40 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPF
Got problems with my cars idle again(MY99 UK), this time the bloomin thing stalled on me at a set of lights, she don't sound too happy .

The last time it happened a member of scoobynet gave me a hand cleaning the boost solenoid, checking the MAF by removing it and reset the ECU, car worked fine after, until now that is, thinking of going to the place in Chelmsford tomorrow and getting the MAF replaced, anything else I could check myself? there's been quit a lot banging coming from the exhaust over the past few weeks due to what I guess is over fuelling, which is another symptom of a failed MAF but could also be symptoms of lots of other things I have know idea about any help would be appreciated

Spirit if your reading this any chance of a hand mate?
Whilst your engine is idling, unplug the MAF sensor and see what it does. It should run lumpy and then stall. If it doesn't your MAF is probably knackered.

Another test is rev the engine to about 3000rpm, then lift off. Observe the rev counter very closely. If the MAF is working it should not fall to idle immediately. It should pause near the bottom, before settling to idle speed.

And you did check your ECU for codes didn't you? Kinda obvious.
Old 23 September 2006, 11:54 AM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Harden
Whilst your engine is idling, unplug the MAF sensor and see what it does. It should run lumpy and then stall. If it doesn't your MAF is probably knackered.

Another test is rev the engine to about 3000rpm, then lift off. Observe the rev counter very closely. If the MAF is working it should not fall to idle immediately. It should pause near the bottom, before settling to idle speed.

And you did check your ECU for codes didn't you? Kinda obvious.
Cant remove the MAF as I haven't got the tool, never heard of the other test worth a try though I guess.

Cant get a code from the ecu the light just seams to stay on probably due to me doing it wrong I basically followed the instructions on http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co.uk

Is there anybody in Cambridge that can give us a hand for a beer or two?
Old 23 September 2006, 12:13 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPF
Cant remove the MAF as I haven't got the tool, never heard of the other test worth a try though I guess.

Cant get a code from the ecu the light just seams to stay on probably due to me doing it wrong I basically followed the instructions on http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co.uk

Is there anybody in Cambridge that can give us a hand for a beer or two?
I said UNPLUG the MAF (i.e. unplug the loom), not remove it! You don't need any tools for that.

When you checked for error codes, did you:

1) Turn the ignition off
2) Plug the black connectors under the dash together
3) Turn the ignition on
4) Observe flashing engine check light

David
Old 23 September 2006, 12:43 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Harden
I said UNPLUG the MAF (i.e. unplug the loom), not remove it! You don't need any tools for that.

When you checked for error codes, did you:

1) Turn the ignition off
2) Plug the black connectors under the dash together
3) Turn the ignition on
4) Observe flashing engine check light

David
Sorry mate not done this before, the last time a had problems I had help from someone from scoobynet and he removed the thing.
Yep, followed all above except I had the green plugs connected as well as the black and did the whole throttle peddle thing(down full 2 secs halfway 2 secs then off) I'll go and try with just the black plugs together.

Cheers for the help
Old 23 September 2006, 03:12 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

A MAF should be replaced once every year IMHO or you could kill your engine. Happened to mine (MY99) and it seems that the MAF in those MY are prone to failure. So, don't mess about, just get a new one from Welsh's.

Come round the Plough on Tuesday night as well
Old 23 September 2006, 04:01 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
A MAF should be replaced once every year IMHO or you could kill your engine. Happened to mine (MY99) and it seems that the MAF in those MY are prone to failure. So, don't mess about, just get a new one from Welsh's.

Come round the Plough on Tuesday night as well
Hi, cheers mate looks like it is the MAF, I took it out and the car still ran cheers for the help David .
Puff, what time does Welshes shut on a sat? you got there number?

Cheers again
Gary
Old 25 September 2006, 07:34 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Your Lambda sensor could also be goosed - try that