Notices

query ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2006, 05:50 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default query ?

Eventually my car is in bits in the garage ,waiting for repair now ,with two pistons damaged ,although i,m not exactly sure as to what degree .The mechanic has advised me to fit two second hand good condition pistons as other two are not damaged and in good condition ,He also advised me in fitting new oil pump, water pump gaskets,thermostat ,and cam belt etc..I also mentioned i was planning keeping the car and asked him if he would put new bearings and shells in etc whilst he was inside the engine ,which he`s agreed to do ,i am also gona take my super chip out which has been in for the past 8 years, Which mechanic reckons is the possible cause of piston failure as it was running at 17.5 psi which is on the edge apparantly ?
My point is should i have asked him to put 4 new pistons in ,even if my other two pistons were ok which he says they are ,or should i go with his advise and leave other two he reckoned if i did put new pistons in it would put bill up 500 quid ish , Now i,m thinking if im dishing all this cash out on rebuild its daft not to go new with all pistons ? would it just be a case of fitting forged pistons job done ..
I,m also abit concerned now as to what exactly caused it to fail in first place ,as he told me it could of been a bad batch of fuel(optimax) or lack of water or anything could of caused it ,so to me it sounds as though theres no real explanation as to what caused failure,or clutching at straws springs to mind , hope it doesnt happen again soon due to latent unforseen defect , The garage in question has a good reputation around here so i,ve trust in him ,just unsure as to whether to ring him and tell him to fit new pistons , ? any advise ...thanks my95 jap
Old 25 August 2006, 06:42 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

personally I would fit new pistons, if you dont know whats caused the failure the other pistons could be close to going as well (lean running etc)
Have you thought about a brand new 2.5ltr bottom end? about £1400, then swap your heads over etc, new oil pump, maybe water pump as well
Old 25 August 2006, 07:04 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default mmm

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
personally I would fit new pistons, if you dont know whats caused the failure the other pistons could be close to going as well (lean running etc)
Have you thought about a brand new 2.5ltr bottom end? about £1400, then swap your heads over etc, new oil pump, maybe water pump as well
the trouble is i dont want to mess the lad abouit in the garage etc , as no doubt he would have to source all the stuff and no doubt he,ll be busy he reccomended just building my own wonder why he didnt give me the option surely it cant be as easier as getting a new bottom end for 2,5 and swapping all bits over , but wouldnt it still run lean evemn with bigger botom end ? ,does it come with new pistons and everthing else , ? thinking now ?...why did you have to tell me that lol...
Old 25 August 2006, 10:47 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

bottom end is a complete short engine, pistons, rods crank etc. Would just need gaskets and ancilleries etc, you would also need a mappable ecu which would add to the costs