Notices

Misfire Help

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2006, 09:18 PM
scooby-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire Help

Don't know if anyone will be able to help me, I have a misfire. I own a 97 WRX import and have had a bad misfire for the last month. I've taken it to the Subaru dealer 3 times. The first time they changed my spark plugs, fuel filter and did a major service. It ran fine for a week, then misfired again (at low and high revs) on my way home I stopped for five mins and it wouldn't start, so I got it towed to Subaru and they replaced my fuel pump which sorted it out again for a few more days, but it's doing it again. The one mechanic said it could be the MAF sensor which I will get replaced tomorrow. I do not want to carry on spending money on parts I don't need, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
M.
Old 09 April 2006, 10:12 PM
95blackWRX
Scooby Regular

could be right about the maf if its not getting air will effect the engine or it could be the coils did the garage check the coils for cracks
Old 09 April 2006, 10:59 PM
Sti_Pete
Scooby Regular

i'd say coil packs have had same problem now on 2 imports i've had, took 2nd one to dealer, changed plugs ran ok then misfired again, changed coil packs runs fine, can't beleive thet subaru haven't manged to sort it, what dealer are u using??
Old 09 April 2006, 11:25 PM
scooby-wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, I mentioned to the Subaru mechanic that I thought it might be my coils and he said he had checked them and they appeared to be fine. It's strange, I can drive my car for the whole day and not have a problem then later on the check engine light comes on and it starts misfiring. We're going to fit a friend’s spare MAF sensor tomorrow to see whether that makes a difference or not.

I actually live in South Africa ( Cape Town ) guess our Subaru dealers are a bit slack for not picking up the problem by now.
Old 09 April 2006, 11:44 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

In my opinion most dealer mechanics s*ck. the good ones go to their own garage and get the full labour rate! You just have to find them.