Notices

I need it to start!

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 10:02 PM
leekirlew
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need it to start!

About 4 weeks ago I had my J plate 220 GTI Mot'd. It failed needing a tyre and a cv boot. I drove it home put it in the garage and tried to start it today. A side issue is the battery draining, its had a new battery and alternator but when i went out today it was dead as a dodo.
Connected it to our golf via jump leads whilst the golf was running and left it a few minutes. Tried to start it but it just turns with no firing what so ever. I'm not sure if the fuel pump primed so at the miute im not sure if its fuel or ignition.

I'm not experienced with rovers so i'm not sure where to start, i've dried the dizzy cap and checked all the leads are secure. Checked the relays and fuses for the pump and management system but they seem ok.

I'm just a little miffed as to how it was fine a few weeks ago but won't fire now. I need to get rid of this before I can get my clio cup which is sat on our local garages forecourt!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Lee
Old 14 March 2006, 11:32 AM
scooby.2
Scooby Regular

Had a j plate 216 gti about 5 years ago,had the same type of problem,found out that removing the fuel cap sometimes helped,something to do with not breathing properly...
Old 14 March 2006, 12:28 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth cleaning the plugs too and checking the gaps.

Also if you can fully charge the battery it should help.
Old 14 March 2006, 12:43 PM
MAC76
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this is applicable because of the age but i know that later rovers have a fuel cut off switch under the bonnett, its a round black thing usually by the bulk head. Push the top of it and it will reset and the car should fire up.

Sometimes jump starting etc will cause it to pop out and then the engine will get no fuel.

Mart
Old 14 March 2006, 07:36 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee, try asking here.... http://www.rovertech.net/forum/index...e1726396e4db2b

it's a Rover 200/400 specific forum.....
Old 14 March 2006, 09:46 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MAC76
Not sure if this is applicable because of the age but i know that later rovers have a fuel cut off switch under the bonnett, its a round black thing usually by the bulk head. Push the top of it and it will reset and the car should fire up.

Sometimes jump starting etc will cause it to pop out and then the engine will get no fuel.

Mart
The earlier ones have the fuel cut inside the car behind the centre consule on top of the tunnel(sort of behind the stereo)A kick or even hovering inside the car and knocking them can cause then to trip.
Old 16 March 2006, 07:38 AM
leekirlew
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Turbotits
The earlier ones have the fuel cut inside the car behind the centre consule on top of the tunnel(sort of behind the stereo)A kick or even hovering inside the car and knocking them can cause then to trip.
hey you might well be right, I took the stereo out just before I tried starting the car ill post back tonight and let you know, thanks
Old 16 March 2006, 06:35 PM
leekirlew
Scooby Newbie

the fuel switch had tripped. Reset it and it still wouldnt start. Turned out to be the power wire on te coil that had broken. thanks for the help