Notices

What Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2001, 09:07 AM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All
I want to protect my License. Which is the best Radar Detector . I am told the Bel 550 is excellent. I have also read the new Snooper S5 is very good.
Your help from experience would be much appreciated.
All the best
Pete

[Edited by PeterUK300 - 10/14/2001 9:08:18 AM]
Old 14 October 2001, 09:22 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

I have the Bell Euro 550 and have found it to be an excellent tool. It picks up some garage and supermarket doors and is prone to the odd false Ku alarm (Believe this is mobile phone usage nearby) but it gives you the signal strength so you know what is going on. All radar/laser detectors give some false alarms but I have found the Euro 550 to be particularly good.

I have run up the A9 and M90 in Scotland with it on and it picked up all radar speed cameras in plenty of time to check my speed and slow down if necessary.
I have picked up the odd laser alert too but havent as yet found a laser trap.

At the end of the day if it saves you once it has paid for itself in removing the worry/cost/inconvenience of being caught speeding.

I believe that most of us on this board are sensible drivers of our scoobs and as such the 550 gives you more time to look at the road in front instead of your speedo.

The only other way I know of applying more concentration to the road in front is cruise control.

Beastie
Old 15 October 2001, 12:16 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, Bel Euro 550. Picked up 4 laser traps. Three in my area. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Saved me twice from laser, I was behind a car the one time and the second time, although I was the first car, as soon as the laser warning went off I hit the anchors, the officer took 2 more readings, I was under the limit by then and he did not pull me over. The other two times I was under the limit.

Picked up mini gatso camera Ku band twice, again in my area [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Including one today. I Got saved the first time with only 50 metres of warning coz they had hidden it behind a building wall and the wall was blocking the signal. I was only about 15 kph over the limit, so I managed to bring my speed down before I went passed it.

Today it was on the opposite side of the road, targeting the cars on that side of the road. The detector went off about 200 metres away. I chucked a U turn and came back to test the detector. The mini gatso was hidden behind a tree with a very very fat trunk and there was a huge garbage bin next to the tree. You could not see it. About 100 metres before I came to it I got 2 beeps on Ku band, then it stopped, coz the tree trunk and garbo were blocking the signal. The detector then started going off as I came in line with the camera.

Because I know the area, I knew it was not a false alarm, coz the detector never goes off there. So today I learnt that with even those 2 beeps, the anchors must be hit fast. You learn with experience and time, after sussing out each situation.

I have also come across a handheld radar gun using Ku band again. It was a piece of cake to detect as the detector was going off about three kilometres before I got to it.

I recommend the Bel 550. I would also recommend a laser jammer at some stage later maybe, coz if you are the first car targeted, you will be nabbed, unless the officer goes by a second or third reading and ofcourse you slow down in time. I have been targeted and felt that the officer took 3 readings from my car coz the laser warning went off three times. Each reading gives you one long bleep. I got three of those and as I got closer I could see the officer targeting me.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 15 October 2001, 08:22 AM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Beastie & Wrexy
Thanks for the info. Bel 550 it is then.

All the best
Pete
Old 15 October 2001, 09:17 AM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wrexy,
where did all this happen? I am shocked to hear all this radar activity in Greece!
Did the police stop you after failing to take a reading with their laser gun, or did you turn off your jammer once you were below the limit? Which jammer have you bought after all?

Cheers
Old 15 October 2001, 11:27 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Dimitri,

The Ku band radar gun was at Patra. Laser gun, Nafplion and mini gatso Nafplion. They are out almost every day now that the holiday season is over. I have not bought a laser jammer yet. I will soon though coz I definately need it here in my area now.

I was doing 70kph in a 50kph. The officer targeted me with the laser gun. My detector went off and I hit the brakes straight away and slowed down to 50 kph. The officer took 2 more readings from me coz the detector went off two more times. He did not pull me over so I assume they may take three readings in case the first one is a false reading. So his first reading would have been 70, then his 2nd one would have been 50 and his third would have been 50 again, which is probably why he did not pull me over. I could be wrong but I did get 3 seperate alarms from the detector.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 15 October 2001, 11:33 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Peter,

I forgot to mention that if you buy the Bel, Networx are still selling them as a group buy for this BBS. If you ring David Baxter on 01555666444 and mention the scoobynet group buy, you should get it for 320 GBP including VAT and delivery.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 15 October 2001, 02:33 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanxs Wrexy I'll do that

Pete
Old 15 October 2001, 03:43 PM
Dukas
Scooby Regular

Don't know about the UK but here in Israel the Valentine-1 consider to be the best.
It has a better Ka detection.
The only limitation is it can only be brought in USA so you must get it there.
Old 15 October 2001, 08:17 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

How longs the group buy on for, and how much are we saving from the normal retail price??
Old 15 October 2001, 09:01 PM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

Peter,
I also recommend the Bell and suggest you fork out the extra £3.95 for the Ultragripper mat as it saves having the device hanging off the window and makes it easier to operate the buttons.

Also check out the following web site.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

Old 15 October 2001, 09:45 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I think the group buy is indefinate so far. As for how much you will be saving go here,

http://www.networxautomotive.com

Also go here

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm

and on the left column, go down to radar detectors and click on the Bel 550 and then click on Valentine 1 for a comparison. You'll find they are both dead even in performance.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

PS I am not affiliated with Networx, but bought mine along with Beastie, with the group buy from them and I'm very satisfied with the 550 and their service.

[Edited by WREXY - 10/15/2001 9:47:05 PM]

[Edited by WREXY - 10/15/2001 10:42:01 PM]
Old 15 October 2001, 09:47 PM
Jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

dear wrexy
i was thinking about emigrating to greece with my scooby but you have put me off lol.good info mate.
p.s. hows the weather?

jimmy
Old 15 October 2001, 09:52 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Looks like you'll have to paste and copy the links in. They are not working direct. I'll try again

http://www.networxautomtive.com

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 10/15/2001 10:40:46 PM]
Old 15 October 2001, 10:06 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Jimmy,

Once you're out of town you are a free man to give it as much stick as you like. The town is very small so it is easy to be patient till you are out. They may have clamped down recently here, but it is still a hell of a lot better than it is in Australia, and probably the UK, surveillance wise, that is. Still a lot freeier here. So I'd still be thinking about migrating here m8.

It is still hot here, so the Scoobs are struggling a little with the 30 deg Celsius heat.

Cheers,

Wrexy.