Notices

Easy way to change knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2006, 04:29 PM
big mike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy way to change knock sensor?

Got the replacement knock sensor and it's looking like a bitch to replace. Anyone got any good ideas?????

Looks like i'll have to take out half the engine for this poxy little sensor, loads of pipework and wiring appears to be in the way. Is there an easy way of doing it ?
Old 07 January 2006, 04:34 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I just used a socket with a long extension bar and got in there. Didn't even bother to take the intercooler off, really easy. One bolt for the sensor and one simple connector

Is it a new age or classic?

Tony.
Old 07 January 2006, 04:37 PM
big mike
Scooby Regular

Classic.

Tried a long extension but couldn't get the socket to sit squarely. The throttle position sensor and all its wiring and some hard pipework for some airlines appears to be in the way?
Old 07 January 2006, 04:42 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

What year of classic is it, i've got the knock sensor off MY92-98 types the same way, not tried phase 2 but can't see it being much different to phase 1.5.

It was tricky to get in there but only takes me about 15 mins.... i did get a few scratches on my arms where i'd been shoving my hands in places too small for them to go. If you are struggling take the intercooler off and it should be easy to get at then.

Tony.
Old 07 January 2006, 05:14 PM
big mike
Scooby Regular

MY98 facelift (does that make it a phase two?) Intercooler is off and it's still a bitch

Maybe I need to use the wobbley extension, i'll try again in the morning.
Old 08 January 2006, 05:21 PM
big mike
Scooby Regular

Right got it off but how the hell do you get the bolt on the new one started?????

Really need some help guys, the extension bar fouls the throttle position sensor so I can't seat the bolt squarely and there really is a rats nest of pipes and wires in the way of my hand. One difference that I have noticed is that the new sensor has a plug types assembly on the side and I am wondering if I am trying to put it on the wrong way i.e. if you look at it from the front I am trying to put the plug on the right hand side is this the correct way around?

Please help!!!
Old 08 January 2006, 06:17 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

MY98 is a phase 1.5, same as mine. Not sure why it's such a hassle on yours. I used an normal staright extension bar. I did use a small socket and thin extension bar then used an adaptor to a 1/2" wrench.

When putting the bolt back in i did put some blue-tac in the socket to stop the bolt falling out while i lined it up.

Also be very careful when tightening the bolt, over do it and you'll knacker the sensor. Only 'nip' it up. If you have a torque wrench i have the torque somewhere.

Tony.
Old 08 January 2006, 06:50 PM
big mike
Scooby Regular

Tony,
Maybe I need some thinner extension bars
Only a 3/8ths so it's pretty thin though

Did your sensor have a "plug" and loom coming off it? The one that came of it was moulded in one piece. Which way did you install your plug??on the LHS (looking from the front) or on the RHS (which looks the natural way to do it)

Thanks for giving it some thought, I now remember why I decided to give up being a grease monkey