Notices

my01 help

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2004, 10:33 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my01 help

hi all,just recently purchased a 2001 bugeye with 24000 miles on clock,car is standard apart from prodrive exhaust(centre de-cat+back box),had a bit of a problem with the clutch at first as it seemed to be slipping so was gonna put a new clutch in it, but tonight i adjusted the clutch pedal and it seems to have cured it,but as i was testing my non-slipping clutch the obd light come on,now i was a bit low on fuel and have heard this can sometimes throw a cel but was wondering if i could have knocked a sensor at the pedals when adjusting clutch?? if not it might just be a coincidence its come on as i was giving it a bit of a thrash,i was gonna reset the ecu to see if it clears the fault light but would rather find the fault code incase its a dicky sensor as i have learnt from here that the common culprits are the maf and the cam sensor.are these sensors easy to replace as now i dont need a clutch im thinking of changing these sensors for piece of mind or am i better off not bothering and just taking it in to a garage which can read why the fault light is on.i dont live too near to a subaru dealer or i would just pop it in there but i suppose any fault reader will do the job, yeah??
Old 21 December 2004, 10:47 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Mark,

It could be any of 100+ different faults. Get it checked out.

Do you know anyone with a SECS Monitor that could plug in and read the fault codes?

Where in the country are you?

Martin
Old 22 December 2004, 07:26 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

i've just started it up today and the fault light is no longer on so whatever it was isn't there now,i'm still gonna get it checked out as it should be stored in the ecu whatever the problem was,been into a few local garages and one of them thinks they might be able to read the codes if their plug will plug into my car,their plug was a 16 pin plug like a scart so i'm just gonna do a search to find where the plug is in my car and fingers crossed it should be the same.
Old 22 December 2004, 07:49 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

The plug is bang above the brake peddle in the cowling....
Old 23 December 2004, 06:40 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

had it in a garage today and it was the 'camshaft position sensor circuit 'a' ',nothing to worry about as i read a thread a while ago where a main subaru garage said to a customer that they all do that,but i'm gonna change it along with the maf sensor just for peace of mind.
Old 23 December 2004, 09:57 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maf sensor on a bugeye is about 400 quid mate... !!!
Old 23 December 2004, 10:44 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

your joking!!!!!!! in that case i wont bother,thats nearly two pff7's!!! i was gonna pop down to a subaru garage over christmas if they are open and order a set of pff7's as well and i was hoping the price for the lot was gonna be close to £1000.why are the classics only £75?? i you sure they never priced you for the whole housing and not just the sensor in the housing???
Old 24 December 2004, 08:29 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark6
your joking!!!!!!! in that case i wont bother,thats nearly two pff7's!!! i was gonna pop down to a subaru garage over christmas if they are open and order a set of pff7's as well and i was hoping the price for the lot was gonna be close to £1000.why are the classics only £75?? i you sure they never priced you for the whole housing and not just the sensor in the housing???
I've been down this route, they won't sell you "just the sensor" for the newage cars you have to buy the whole housing. I rang 2 dealers and International motors (whatever they're called), who confirmed the maf can't be sold seperately). It's not all bad news though because the MAF's on the newage cars are a lot more reliable than some of the older models (which I think is partly the reason why you can buy MAF's for some models at £75 ). The two dealers I spoke to said they had NEVER had to replace/sell a MAF for a newage car - that was in July this year.
Old 26 December 2004, 11:46 PM
fuz
Scooby Regular

'camshaft position sensor circuit '

stop accelerating so fast and this code will not come up again
Old 27 December 2004, 05:21 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fuz
'camshaft position sensor circuit '

stop accelerating so fast and this code will not come up again

so Im not the only one
Old 27 December 2004, 06:50 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

i wont still get this code if i change the sensor tho will i?? it doesnt seem to be a problem accelerating in a straight line,its only happended twice,once when i was accelerating hard out of a largish roundabout and once on a sweepng bend,whats annoying is on both times its taken a couple of days before the warning light has gone off and if i get another problem when the light is already on i wont know theres another problem.
Old 27 December 2004, 08:38 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Mark,

I had this a few times on mine. I had the same Cam sensor replaced twice!

It's normally five restarts to remove the CEL.

As it's a simple hall effect sensor, cleaning the sensor and checking the wiring connection is good would be worth doing.

Mine only did it when reving close to the red line. I'm sure it's noise rather than a real fault causing the CEL.

Ian
Old 27 December 2004, 11:54 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

had 2 sensors and still get the probelm - only ever got the problem after I got the car mapped... must be going allot quicker

get it every time I give the car some real stick... sec's unit says I ve never gone above 7k revs
Old 28 December 2004, 12:38 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAF sensor on Bug eyes are about £90 new from BRD
Old 28 December 2004, 06:15 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

where's brd? also have you bought one and if so, did your old one fail or did you just change it for fun(lol),and did you notice any changes in performance or economy
Old 28 December 2004, 06:20 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

BRD= http://www.brdevelopments.com

Regards,

Ian