Notices

Aircon re-charging - DIY job?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2004, 01:52 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aircon re-charging - DIY job?

A friend of mine has sourced a place in the US (via ebay) that sell re-charging kits at a very good price (compared to the £100 plus in the uk to pay someone else to do it).

The kit states that it is suitable for an aircon system, type R134a.

Any ideas if it would work on a scooby -

the kit contains:

'3 refrigerant cans, lubricant oil (quietens compressor, protects o-rings to prevent leaks, etc), flourescent leak-detect, gauge and hose, for $60'

Thanks

Rich
Old 12 August 2004, 05:13 PM
g.pain
Scooby Regular

£100 seems bit steep mate, had mine done today for £55+vat at an auto climate centre
Old 12 August 2004, 05:32 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
A friend of mine has sourced a place in the US (via ebay) that sell re-charging kits at a very good price (compared to the £100 plus in the uk to pay someone else to do it).

The kit states that it is suitable for an aircon system, type R134a.

Any ideas if it would work on a scooby -

the kit contains:

'3 refrigerant cans, lubricant oil (quietens compressor, protects o-rings to prevent leaks, etc), flourescent leak-detect, gauge and hose, for $60'

Thanks

Rich
Won't you also need a vacuum pump?

Dipster
Old 12 August 2004, 09:32 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

gpain - £90 was the cheapest we found locally, looks like you had a good deal.

Dave - I'm not sure mate, here is the kit, there are several cost options depending if you want the oil and leak finder.

http://mallology.lunarpages.com/ac/a...auge-1-big.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Once you have the main kit ($59) the refill cans can be bought quite cheaply ($7)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7915436142

If this works a few of us in work are going to do a group buy to save on the carraige.

Edited to add - I just had a look in this guys ebay shop and he also does a universal retrofit/recharge set which contains hose adapters and all the bits to either convert the system over (if its the wrong refrigerant type) or just recharge you system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7915625521

http://mallology.lunarpages.com/ac/retrofit-1-big.jpg

looks good

Last edited by Richard Curtis; 12 August 2004 at 09:49 PM. Reason: whoops - wrong price
Old 12 August 2004, 10:39 PM
andydavies
Scooby Regular

Wink

You will only need a vac pump if you intend to evacuate the 134a already in the system. You would assume that there is sufficient pressure in the containers to blow it into the system. Are the connectors universal to fit the ones in the car? I was led to believe they are not all the same, but this could just be a ploy by the people wanting to charge you £70 for a refil.
Incidiently I work for the company who produces the 134a its sold for rougly £1 per lb and the average car contains only a couple of lb's. Bear that in mind next time you spend £60-70 on a refil.
Andy
Old 12 August 2004, 11:14 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Andy - thanks for the info, it looks like six adapters are included, I'll drop the seller a mail to check if one of them would fit a scooby.

£1 per lb - wow, so $7 for a pressurised can of the stuff sounds reasonable. If it goes well I may consider a career change, looks like easy money is there to be made
Old 13 August 2004, 08:38 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I know this seems a silly question, but how do you know your air-con needs re-filling? What makes you go for that?

Is it as simple as it just dont blow cold no more? Or am i being a little simple? LOL
Old 13 August 2004, 01:35 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

The performance of the system will drop off as the coolant levels fall, so you won't be able to go as cold.

Eventually if there's sufficient pressure drop the system won't start at all - a low pressure switch protects the system from potential damage.

I get mine topped up every 12-18 months or so. £65 inc VAT in North London for the coolant with UV dye which helps locate potential leaks.
Old 13 August 2004, 02:41 PM
tozerman
Scooby Regular

I never thought i would ever say anything good about my local main dealer but Last summer Beechdale of Derby were only charging £50 inc vat for a full air-con regas and seal.
Old 13 August 2004, 03:05 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
Andy - thanks for the info, it looks like six adapters are included, I'll drop the seller a mail to check if one of them would fit a scooby.

£1 per lb - wow, so $7 for a pressurised can of the stuff sounds reasonable. If it goes well I may consider a career change, looks like easy money is there to be made
Don't suppose you know of anywhere in the UK there would be a handy supply of the cans do you?

J.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:45 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The scoob only takes about 1/2 kg of gas,(should be a sticker stating what gas and quantity on the front panel under the bonnet) so it shows how much we are being ripped off.As for buying the gas,i don't think you will be able to without being a licensed user as fridge gas depletes oxygen and can be quite nasty stuff!I have a mate who does the truck fridges and he sorts me out,have a look for someone local in the fridge game who'll sort you out for about £20 as a homer.
Old 13 August 2004, 11:18 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The 134a is a HCFC and does not deplete OZONE, but is a mild global warmer. The older CFC refrigernats were ozone depleting and that's why R-12 went away.

The Scooby takes about 750 g of the refrigerant, R-134a.

The only harm that R-134a can cause is a cold burn as it boils at like - 40 degrees .. that's cold! It is also used in things in the medical industry like the asthma inhalers, as it is harmless ... unless of course you lie in the stuff or inhale it deliberately!

As these adverts on ebay say, the polyol ester oils are really needed, but how many ofthe re-fill places use them ... I know my last re-charge ( £60 ) didn't !

The raw stuff ( R-134a ) is about £3 a kilo which would do 1 car, but the installers seel you their knowledge and expertise, the use of their equipment ( hoses & valves & vacuum units & compressors & pumps etc ) and their time, so mark up accordingly.

I offered to swap one guy 5 kgs of R-134a for doing my re-charge ... nothing doing!!
Old 13 August 2004, 11:18 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Default Doh!

Andydavies YMPM
Old 13 August 2004, 11:33 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
I know this seems a silly question, but how do you know your air-con needs re-filling? What makes you go for that?

Is it as simple as it just dont blow cold no more? Or am i being a little simple? LOL
Look at the air con canister just behind strut mount ( near bulkhead ) on near side of engine bay.

If the flow across it when air con is on and engine running, has bubbles then it needs topping up.

If the aircon is not cooling and you see no bubbles, you have a leak.

If cold and see no bubbles then you are OK.

R-134a is said to leak ( permeate through ) out of hoses and joints over a couple of years, so a 2 yearly check / top up is reccommended.