Notices

what ecu is this

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 10:39 PM
zakesm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what ecu is this

i bought my MY99 impreza turbo from a guy who claims its been chipped. i thought i would have a look under the passenger footwell and the ecu has certainly been messed with but can anyone tell me what ECU/piggy back/remap this is?

Old 09 June 2004, 10:47 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

From the outside it looks like a standard AE802, as fitted to MY00, apart from the writing on the ECU. Can't see anything wired onto the PCB, such as a piggy back chip, but I'm no expert.

It may have been remapped with ECUTEK. If this is the case it's not chipped as such, the maps are reprogrammed using the ECUTEK software.

Have you got a boost gauge and if so is it boosting to 1.1 bar. At standard ECU will boost to 0.9 bar.
Old 09 June 2004, 11:37 PM
zakesm
Scooby Regular

anybody else know? there is no JECS/UNISIA branding in the ecu board? is it completely changed?
Old 09 June 2004, 11:50 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

my PPP has no jecs/unsia on the board - just on the can. the board version of mine is
A19-001 DS2[N]. Yours looks like a standard AE802 (with 'differences'!)

alan
Old 09 June 2004, 11:58 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zakesm
anybody else know?
Lol, what do you expect us to say? That looks exactly like an AE802 is supposed to.

there is no JECS/UNISIA branding in the ecu board?
There isn't supposed to be.

is it completely changed?
Is what completely changed? That circuit board is an AE802, the standard ECU fitted to late MY99 and all non-PPP MY00 right hand drive UK/Euro spec cars. There is no piggy-back circuitry or additional chip of any kind visible.

If it has been remapped, it's been done via EcuTeK, and in this case there's obviously no way to tell just by looking at the thing.

At end of day the pen markings on the can could be complete bull****. The only real way you have to tell is to fit it in a car equipped with a known standard 802 and drive. If it is indeed a TeK2 or TeK3, it should feel quicker than the vanilla ECU, and should, if the scribbling on the can is accurate, do noticeably more to your boost gauge. As Graz says, standard boost target on these cars is 0.9 bar - plus or minus any gauge inaccuracy.

There is certainly no evidence of a fuel cut defender, piggy back chip or similar device on the ECU board itself, or on the bit of loom you have shown in the picture. Have you checked the wiring round the MAP sensor to see if there's anything unusual soldered in round there?

Last edited by greasemonkey; 10 June 2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10 June 2004, 11:32 PM
zakesm
Scooby Regular

so the car has either been ecutek'd or its standard. one curious thing is that when i check the error codes on the car by connecting the plugs under the driver dash, there is no response, the CEL light just stays on continously. is this a symptom of ecutek?

greasemonkey - where is the MAP sensor so i can check the wiring around there.

why is the arrow with the word 'LECI' pointing to one of the wiring loom connector things? what does this mean?

one more comment - when i took off the ecu cover, the four tiny screws were covered in untampered white pain (they had not been opened since the paint was applied). is this done at factory or perhaps by a remapper?

thanks 4 the help guys

zak

Last edited by zakesm; 11 June 2004 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11 June 2004, 01:39 PM
zakesm
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 11 June 2004, 05:03 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I'm no expert but I don't think they have to open the case to reflash the software.
Old 11 June 2004, 05:36 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Lol, I think we covered that one before Jay.

Zak: The MAP sensor is the upper of the three gadgets on a plate bolted onto the front of the right hand strut tower, so look for anything untoward clipped onto the wiring in that area.
Old 12 June 2004, 02:18 AM
zakesm
Scooby Regular

thanks greasy - i will check that out.

does an ecuteked impreza turbo not show error codes like normal by connecting the plugs under the dash - the CEL light just stays on on my car when i do this, does not flash or go off. (it is not on during driving).
Old 23 June 2004, 05:47 PM
zakesm
Scooby Regular

ok guys i got a boost gauge - and the car boosts as follows (in bar);

idle : -0.5
1st gear : 0.7
2nd/3rd :0.9
4th/5th :0.95-1.0

peak values obv.

so with the pictures of my ecu in mind - has the car been ecutekd or not?

motec is also popular here in kenya (for rally cars) could mine have been motec'd?

oh yeah all the above boost figures are running on kenyan 'super' fuel : 93 octane leaded!

zak
Old 23 June 2004, 06:46 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zakesm
does an ecuteked impreza turbo not show error codes like normal by connecting the plugs under the dash
Yes. The CEL should behave exactly the same way as on a standard, ex-Subaru ECU.

See other thread for answer to your boost question.