Notices

Is it the wheel bearing causing play in the front wheel or steering related?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2003, 03:48 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was already to change my nsf wheel bearing next weekend but now im not sure. Took the wheel off today to have a look at nut sizes etc and that i have some pullers that have enough reach etc. There is a lot of play if you grab the wheel at the sides but none if you grab it right at the top and bottom (slightly to each side and it moves). So im not so sure now. Maybe it's play in the steering track rod ends or the rack.... not so sure its the rack tho as there isn't any play in the osf front. There is a noise which seems to increase with road speed so im pretty sure that it's the bearing but the lack of play top to bottom has put doubts in my mind.

How would i check what the fault is.... any tips would be great.

Cheers,

Tony.

[Edited by Tone Loc - 12/14/2003 3:49:47 PM]
Old 14 December 2003, 04:15 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the car jacked up and on stands, stick your head under the car, and get someone to either wiggle the wheel, or the steering wheel, you will probably find it's a track rod end! at least, that what it sounds like to me!

Ron.
Old 14 December 2003, 07:17 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

More symptoms for you....... if i sit in the car and move the steering wheel from side to side (engine on and off) there appears to be no play.

The play is so bad now that if i go anywhere near 60mph the steering wheel vibrates, a bit off putting!!!! I also jacked the car up and tried moving the hub.... i couldn't see any play between the track rod end and the hub?

Am still not sure what to do... anybody know how much a trackrod end is and if they are a easy swap (done a search but due to the very ****e search facitly i only get crap back )

Cheers,

Tony.
Old 14 December 2003, 08:40 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest problem with changing a trackrod end, is that no matter how carefully you think you've done it, the tracking will be out!!
Old 15 December 2003, 07:32 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ron.... i thought as much .

Noticed on the way to work this morning (after being hit up the **** by a white van ... looks to be no damage tho) there seemsed to be a sort of knocking noise at low speed, it was definately a rotational noise tho. Think i'll change the wheel bearing anyway and see where that gets me... i'll get a price for the track rod end while im picking up the bearing.

Tony.
Old 15 December 2003, 05:37 PM
wigan wayne
Scooby Regular

Loc

If there is no play in the track rod end it sounds like the same as mine
was- It's called the Drum stick - joins the track rod end to the steering rack.
Costs about £70 new.Revolution motorsport.

These are servicable on other cars but scoobs have a sealed unit
which is like an arm with a ball on the end which moves inside a
metal housing which screws into the steering rack.

Hope this helps

WW
Old 15 December 2003, 10:54 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Question

Toe, could it not be both, one the result of the other?
I'd like to see how mine develops, like I said I get a really loud clonking occasionally on full right hand lock.
About the van incident, keep his details for a few months coz when that dude rammed me from behind, all looked ok for 2 or 3 months then stress marks appeared in the bumper paintwork then it started to crack and flake after a few more washes.

Cube.
Old 16 December 2003, 07:41 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Guess we'll find out over the weekend. Just ordered a wheel bearing kit (bearing, inner and outer seals, snap ring, new axle nut and grease) for half what the dealer wanted..... so i bought two. Might as well change both of them while im at it . Ordered some tools to help to the job too so fingers crossed it will be ok.

I'll definately be keeping the guys details.... may even phone the insurance company today just to pre warn them. Can't believe the silly **** hit me!!!!! Tosser [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] !!!

Tony.