Notices

Apexi power FC and strange knock readings???

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2003, 07:07 PM
Ive595
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A strange one this!!!

I have an apexi power FC with the commander which is mounted on the dash and gives various readings one of which is knock!
It has been on the car for 2 weeks and I had Abbeymotorsport adjust the ignition timing to get rid of some 'knock'.
I have done about 500 miles since the adjustment and it has run well with the odd peak in the knock up to about the mid 50's, in the middle of the day on a run, so not too worried there.
This evening having just left work ( 40 mph zone if you are lucky )I looked down to see a reading of 74!!! After resetting the peak I kept an eye on it and it was all over the place! With just a whiff of throttle from 20mph it was bouncing up to the 70's.
Now I don't believe that these are true readings and can only conclude that the standard engine knock sensor is faulty ( or is loose )..... But where is it?
Have checked all fluids just in case and checked for anything loose in the engine bay. The Engine is not making any noises it shouldn't and is running fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ivan
Old 19 August 2003, 07:42 PM
Ive595
Scooby Regular

OK found the knock sensor, however all seems OK ( nothing loose ) so back to square one!!??

Ive
Old 19 August 2003, 08:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What turbo and intercooler are you running? What boost, timing and AFR when the spikes occur? If you take off 5 degrees of ignition timing in the affected zones what happens?
Old 19 August 2003, 09:07 PM
Ive595
Scooby Regular

Sorry yes this is an MY93, TDO5 and slanted intercooler, boost is peaking at 1.15 bar, removing degrees does reduce the knock but not by much ( about 10 points ).
John this seems to have been an immediate 'action' for want of a better word. As I said, this morning was fine, this evening within 2 minutes and with no revs over 3000, loads of knock.
Just put it in the garage and with it not going over 2000 revs it went to 74!

????

Ive
Old 19 August 2003, 10:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

That does sound more like phantom knock. What sort of timing are you using in those zones though? Can you post an ignition map up?
Old 19 August 2003, 11:34 PM
Ive595
Scooby Regular

John

Will do a mapping tomorrow, however as is always the way, I could not rest until trying something out, so as I had a ' knocklink' (which I was not going to fit) I fitted it albeit in the engine bay as a static monitor.
After adjusting it to a quarter turn off of the most sensitive setting and revving the engine to 6000 I was just getting the second green to flicker, and I do mean just, when I checked this with the reading on the commander it showed ' 75 ', will get a new engine knock sensor tomorrow and change it. Will also wire in the knocklink properly so I can get a true road reading.

Cheers John for your time and help, will let you know more tomorrow.

Ive
Old 20 August 2003, 09:49 PM
Ive595
Scooby Regular

Cool

Good evening all,
Have just come in from a run, and can report as follows.
Got home this evening and wired in the Knocklink, set it to the most sensitive setting and went for a run not a thrash! Got the first green to flicker and the second green came on once. The readout on the Power commander read a peak of 66.
Left things to cool down and went out for another run, again second green once or twice however the peak on the commander was only 48? Also it seems to have calmed down! Difficult one to explain that, It seemed to have a life of its own before, with the bar going up haphazardly more or less in relation with acceleration, however now it seems to be directly linked ( which is what you would expect ).
After 20 minutes I took 2 degrees of ignition off the timing across the board, with only the first green flickering and a peak on the Commander of 28. Which is more or less what I would expect and indeed got when I did the same exercise before the problem.
John sorry did not have time to copy out the map, as I do not have the software to download it onto a PC.
So conclusions so far.... Freak readings? Dodgy fuel? Broken knock sensor?
I don't bloody know, just pleased it seems to be running OK.
John any idea where I might get the software for the ECU and the link cable?

Cheers

Ive

Old 20 August 2003, 10:06 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Might be better running the 2 degrees less then until it is sorted for sure.
Old 21 August 2003, 08:35 AM
Vigs
Scooby Regular

I have a power fc and the highest knock reading ive seen is 14!!

What is the the "norm" for the the power fc to read?

Old 21 August 2003, 09:32 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Smile

up to around 25 is just background noise.