Notices

Expansion over flow MY93

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2003, 09:41 AM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My mate worked on my car and had to remove the rad etc, he did not bleed the system properly as far as I know and over filled the system, so I expectyed some water to expand from the expansion tank. My problem is now I've had the system bleed and re-filled but when the car gets hot water expands and pours out the expansion tank. So in turn the header tank is now nearly always empty, and the rad pipes seem void of water
I've had the car checked for hydrocarbons, and I've been told it is all ok, but it keeps presurising, I've also been told that the heads are very strong, but not knowing very much about cars it sounds as if the head has a crack?
I'm planning to sell the car, but want to get it fixed first, but I'm unsure of the next step to take, if the head is cracked can it be fixed? Any ideas/advice?
Cheers D
Old 02 July 2003, 10:04 AM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to a mate, and he reckons there is still air in the tank, what's teh best way to ensure there is no air left in the system?
Old 02 July 2003, 10:49 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting thread, im trying to find out for a mate what is happening to his coolant, he has a similar problem 2 u but hasnt had it checked for exhaust gases in the coolant yet, but he is still losing water at the rate of half a cup a day

now last w/end whilst driving along his temp gauge went through the roof so he parked up & waited till it was stone cold, then he took it for a spin with no more apparant probs with his temp gauge, just wondering if he has trapped air in his coolant system,

I managed to get pete c to reply to my last post on this topic, he stated that if you remove the header tank cap that you would prob get bubbles coming out through it as to the high eng temps, how did you bleed your system??
Old 02 July 2003, 11:09 AM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

My temp gauge went through the roof after pulling over after a hard drive, I've never seen the gauge ever go over half, I checked the expansion tank and it seemed to have blown most of it out of the system. I then drove home slowly and all seemed fine again.
All my problems have come from the point of removing the rad, I'm not sure the best way is to bleed the system.
I'm not sure the best place to tak eit without the cost of having the head removed etc.
So far I filled it up again, with the header tank cap off and let it reach temp, and let it run for five minutes more.
Mine seems to be using random ammounts of water dependant on how hard/or how long it sits in traffic, sometimes it's fine somtimes not, all confusimg and annoying as I want to sell the car.
Old 02 July 2003, 12:18 PM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've found a decent garage who I hope I can trust who will bleed and road test the car, fingers croosed it's not the head gasket.

I will let you know.
Old 02 July 2003, 01:57 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

sounds pretty much identical probs to me dean, for ref his car is an STi4 TypeR (my98) yeah please let me know the outcome, cheers
Old 02 July 2003, 02:50 PM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

Ok will do
Do the heads on scoobs normally need a skim if I do need a new h/g?

If the head does not need skimming am I looking at about £400-500 all in.

Cheers
Old 08 July 2003, 09:29 AM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

After speaking to a few garages and fellow scoob owners, it does sound as if the head gasket has gone
I've heard the heads are strong and are not prone to cracking, is this true, should I have the heads skimmed?

I've bled the system and every time I drive the car very hard the water just expands out of the expansion tank, leaving me with water. I could pay to have the car checked again, or just sod it and have the head gaskets replaced, which is not a cheap job considering I'm selling the car as soon as it's all fixed.
Any advice welcome..

Cheers
D
Old 08 July 2003, 04:29 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Dean, my mates car goes in for a cylinder head test this friday at hypersports racing near wigan, if the head has gone they have quoted him £200+parts to do it, didnt think that sounded to bad, really they should check whether the head is warped B4 skimming, what price have you had to replace your head gaskets?
Old 08 July 2003, 04:39 PM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

Talking

The car goes in this Thursday to an expensive reputable garage who charge £40 an hour plus vat, they will bleed the system, then pressure check the system.
They quoted 15-20 hours to change the head gaskets etc.

If it is the HG gone, then a mate will do the work for £230 inc vat plus parts, I've heard so much conflicting information.

First off the head should be ok and will not need skimming, the head bolts can be re-used, when replacing the head gaskets these are the only gaskets you need to replace.

Of the above I've heard a few stories, but most people have told me that the heads are not prone to cracking.

I'm having the car in wed for piece of mind, from the indications I'd say it is gone plus what eveyone else has told me it does sound bad news, either way I'm looking at with parts the cost of about £400.
Could you tell me what parts your mate has been quoted for? And if they pressure check the head, or skim them anyway.
I'm a bit un sure what 2 do at the mo, my next car will defo be an easier car to look after etc

Cheers

[Edited by deanoM - 7/8/2003 4:42:48 PM]

[Edited by deanoM - 7/8/2003 4:48:48 PM]
Old 08 July 2003, 04:53 PM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

Hi, could you e-mail me hypersports number, they may be able to give me some advice.
Ta
Old 08 July 2003, 04:56 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Hi,

My friend has also had a problem with his coolant in his MY93 WRX. He noticed his temp guage had risen off the scale when driving down the motorway, he pulled over to check, but found steam coming from a crack in a pipe somewhere. Once towed home and left to cool he topped the water up and started the engine, everything sounds fine, except when the revs rise coolant sprays from the expansion tank cap.

He thinks the head gaskets have definatly gone (instant coolant pressure most probably coming from exhaust gases) but is unsure about the heads being warped aswell.

His car is currently parked up awaitng work, however would it be quicker/cheaper to change the whole engine, rather than find heads knackered and other problems have occured?

Please post your results on this thread deano and others

Cheers
Phil.
Old 08 July 2003, 05:02 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Dean,not entirely sure how they are going to check his heads out, prob comp test or additive to the coolant, all they told him price wise was £200+parts IIRC, listen, i know its not the way but if youre going to p/ex to a dealership & its not leaking to bad then its got to be an option, but only 2 a dealership!!! plead ignorance, anyway the phone number 4 hypersports is 0845-2250111
goodluck