Notices

K+N cone filter - cleaning??? Brake fluid replace??

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2003, 11:17 AM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As above - have K&N 57i induction kit with the cone filter. Does it need cleaning / replacing occasionally??? If cleaning, how??
Only ask because am now due routine service - and in schedule, it's got replace panel air filter.
Also, sais replace brake fluid - but the dealers only use dot 3 fluid don't they?? Is that good enough considering i have the dogs danglies in brakes - Tarox 10 pots with dics, braided lines, and uprated pads all round??
Cheers, Dxx
Old 25 March 2003, 02:00 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Smile

No you've got to use 5.1 fluid otherwise it's kind of a waste of time putting those brakes on!!

With regards to the K&N. They do their own cleaning kit (recommended) but as mine's so bleedin old looking I just soaked mine in a litre of petrol & then lightly brushed some oil on it to catch the cr@p. The amount of cr@p that came out of it was incredible

MAFFA
Old 25 March 2003, 02:31 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hi mate, i have some K&N cleaner and filter oil here, you can borrow it as it uses very little to clean and re-oil.

jonny

Old 25 March 2003, 02:44 PM
Scoobers[TNGC]
Scooby Regular

lo all,

been told by quite a few peeps that a K&N should be used dry...cause oil can be sucked in and end up knackering sensors.....any comments .......dont fancy having to replace any expensive sensors just because of an air filter......
running a sport with a GenII K&N

cheers scoobers
Old 25 March 2003, 09:34 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
As far as i'm aware, if you run it dry then a lot of cr@p get's through as it's a paper filter. This kinda defeats the object. As long as the amount used is minimal then it shouldn't be a problem & your MAF sensor shouldn't be harmed.

MAFFA
Old 26 March 2003, 10:10 AM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for offer Johnny. Am gonna tell the garage to keep grubby paws off filter at service time. Prob gonna wait a bit to clean it (prob during next time car in bits to get more work done) - besides, hasn't been on the car all that long.
Hope to see you at next TTS meet, if i'm not working.
Dxx
Old 26 March 2003, 12:14 PM
silver:scooby
Scooby Regular

All K&N air filters are oil coated and should not be run without the oil, if you read the paper work that comes with it, it tells you how to clean it an re oil it. The oil coating is only very light, i have run my car on a 57I kit for the last two years with no problems, maffa k&n are not paper they are cotton gauze

Cheers
Old 26 March 2003, 09:24 PM
GV27
Scooby Newbie

Scroll down on this page for a table of specs for several high-performance brake fluids suitable for your car.

I recommend ATE Super Blue because it'll outlast the stock fluid (not all will) and is reasonably inexpensive. Castrol SRF also lasts a long time (hydrophobic) but is very expensive, as you can see on the table.

Valvoline SynPower is the best "bang-for-the-buck" and easiest to find here in the US, but I don't know what availability is like in the UK.

This page has cleaning instructions for the K&N. You can use soap and water instead of their cleaning solution, but you'll still need some sort of spray filter oil. Probably best to just fork out for the kit.

They recommend against using petrol for cleaning. I don't know if there are any reasons other than safety.

Chris

[Edited by GV27 - 3/26/2003 9:35:33 PM]