Notices

Power Engineering - capabilities?

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2002, 11:33 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any of you guys out there know what engine work power engineering carry out? I know they do ECU / rolling road work, and have their own manifold (by the way, how is it? and do you loose or gain in exhaust note?).
What other engine work can they carry out? Flywheels? Porting? FMIC? Anything else? Am after faster spool up, big BHP (nothing too pricey) and a drop in 0-60 time!!
Am i better off going to Scoobysport or PE??
Am up north so ideally want to get everything done in one go - save on the travelling! Who offers what?
Cheers
Dxx
Old 16 December 2002, 11:57 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

You're probably best looking at both & making your own choice.
Both are respected. Both know the scoob, although PE handles a lot of other makes as well.
I personally know PE rather better than ScoobySport as it's the closest 'serious' place to me. They can do some impressive work in there! Seem to be a good, conscientious (sp?) lot there at the moment.
Only been to ScoobySport once, so don't feel I could comment sufficiently

And why aren't you looking "up North"? There's a lot of good places up there! Well, so I've heard

[Edited by nom - 12/16/2002 11:58:06 PM]
Old 17 December 2002, 12:44 AM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Nowhere up here does the TEK 3 - i don't think. That's the real biggy. What other stuff do PE do? Likewise with scoobysport?? Prices??
Only after the engine stuff - am sticking with Revolution for all other - have been great to me - highly recomended!!! Unfortunately at moment don't have full diagnostics / rolling road etc.
Dxx
Old 17 December 2002, 02:07 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheres up here?

David
Old 17 December 2002, 10:02 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do Tek 3 in Scotland. A lot of the North of England folk come up and see me - about half my customers.
Old 17 December 2002, 11:12 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

I didn't think Scoobysport did any engine work - give them a call & find out.

PE used to be big Ford tuners - they have diversified into Scoobies & Evos over the past 4-5 years. They have a 4 wheel rollong road so can do before & after dyno curves which is re-assuring for any mod you're considering.

I've found both companies to be very good.
Old 17 December 2002, 12:08 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I have had fairly extensive expirience with both companies, and I can say for certain that Scoobysport did not cause either of my engine failures. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about Power Engineering. I still visit Scoobysport.
Old 17 December 2002, 02:18 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Not sure how much of the same staff is there now though, Moray? Although if I were you I wouldn't go touch them with a long stick either! (Hit them with it maybe...)
Old 17 December 2002, 06:52 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Question

Moray - did Scoobysport do any engine work though ?
Old 17 December 2002, 07:20 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know PE will fit exhausts, up-pipes and manifolds. Have seen FMICs there, so assume they'll fit them. As mentioned they have a 4wd rolling road, and give power plots after remapping. I believe their manifold is equal length and am sure I have heard that it reduces engine note. I'm not certain whether the manifold will fit the new age cars; worth checking!

I know scoobysport will port headers and fit exhausts. They only remap new age IIRC. Their "TEK3" is a little deceptively named IMHO, in that as I understand it is pretty much a standard map with a little tweaking - which is nearer to what others call a TEK2, but it is at TEK2 money, so fair enough. The full custom map costs a little more, but I believe they can do it.

I am sure both can do more than that too, that's just the things I have encountered from both. I've used both recently and had no problem with either.
Old 17 December 2002, 08:05 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

The fact that Power Engineering blew up my STI 3 engine by failing to secure the FPR signal line they removed to fit their boost line is not the bit that really put me off them, that was just "clumsy". I think the really damning evidence as far as I am concerned is that once the engine had failed again, after they had rebuilt it, it became apparent that they had used heavy uk type cast pistons in the "rebuild" rather than the standard STI forged pistons, which is either unbelievable incompetence or straightforward dishonesty in my opinion. This will undoubtedly have put an incredible strain on the rods as I was running the car as though it had a standard STI engine in it, which meant running at an 8000rpm limit. The engine failed with a snapped rod, which destroyed the block and the turbo and damaged the heads. So thats two engines, and two turbos. Not cheap.