Notices

tick over

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2002, 05:46 PM
WRX SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lads i have a 94 wrx and when im at lights and its ticking over it kicks a little like a very very small miss ,i had the bonnet up yesterday and i could see it when it kicked and it looked like the engine jumped alittle
also my power steering pump is leaking and i got a terriable smell yesterday and a bit of smoke could this be the fluid burning when it comes out of the pump???
how much would a power steering pump be thanks
Old 30 August 2002, 06:04 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Its more likly to be the rubber seals ('o'rings) on the power steering reservoir....

There are two o rings... if you take the reservoir off you will see where that there are, there is one for the actual pot and under this there is another which will sit on the actual pump..... get some o rings and it should stop it.... i has on mine..

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 8/30/2002 6:05:16 PM]
Old 03 September 2002, 11:19 PM
WRX SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

THANKS IM GETTING A NEW BOTTLE
Old 05 September 2002, 11:08 PM
WRX SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i dont think anyone wants to help me
Old 06 September 2002, 12:10 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Well, you are a little unspecific. At the lights....hot cold, after a hard drive, easy drive?? Miss all the time, or just at tickover? From memory, you did also get a new engine not so long ago, after a blow up..( or am I thinking of someone else? ) If so, then maybe the leaks were caused by whoever fitted the engine.
Has the miss just appeared?? Has the car been serviced recently?
Old 06 September 2002, 11:29 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Could be a sensor failing or, if engine has been swopped, perhaps even a "loose" connector on one of the sensors, would suggest taking each connector off al the sensors, one at a time, then replace it back on, ensuring it does actually "click" as it goes onto the sensor. Otherwise it may be air flow sensor or cam sensor,2 items that do play up.
Old 06 September 2002, 02:06 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I get the same on my 93 wrx. seems to do it when warm. Feels just like a little kick, almost like someone kicking the footwell lightly. Don't notice it when cold because the revs are a lot higher for the first few mins. Wonder if it's anything to worry about???????
Old 06 September 2002, 10:31 PM
WRX SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

ok thanks for the replies..
1.what sensores are we talking about taking of and putting back on as the macaniche only changed the blok..
its been in it since i got the blok in iv changed plugs ,coyels,put back on the old air box and cleand boost s,diffrent afm,cleanded fules pump,
it seems to do it when warmed up and only jumps a little when ticking over at lights or stand still,,when i gun it its fine no probs at all but when i holds at a certin rev for a bit while driving its like a little miss ,surging back and forward
its realy getting to me as iv even got it diagnostic test and showed no probs,its getting annoying because no one knows whats wrong with it,i was told it could be the fuel filter any ideas lads thanks the scoob is a great car but its realy annoyingim thinking of selling her ,,,,
Old 07 September 2002, 02:21 AM
Scooby Regular

Are there any air leaks in the intake system?? Are the plugs the correct ones, and gapped correctly ( advise 0.7mm )
Has the engine been running like this since it was put back together, or has it only started doing it recently?? Were the bits you say you replaced, eg coils/afm etc replaced with new ones, or used parts. Have you tried resetting the ecu, by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes ( Doubt it will make any difference though ) What sort of fuel are you using?
Old 07 September 2002, 07:43 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Could be a HT lead on its way out / worn through.
Stick the car in a dark Garage and look for blue light arcing off the leads.
Old 10 September 2002, 09:43 PM
WRX SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

it was running fine till the engine blew and as soon as i picked it up with the new engine its been doing it the ht leads is that coyels i changed them aswell so no look there ,,what censors are we talking about cheacking ,,its killing me
thanks
Old 11 September 2002, 01:35 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I had similar symptoms with mine. It was the oxygen sensor, may be worth having it checked.
Old 11 September 2002, 05:00 PM
Scooby Regular

If its been doing it since you had another engine fitted, then perhaps the people who fitted it, should be fixing it, as they obviously havent finished the job. It may well be sensor/igniton problems, or even fuelling problems, but if it has always done it since the new engine was fitted, then you cant rule out some mechanical problem either. Eg timing belt
Old 11 September 2002, 10:11 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

The timing belt on my RB5 was fitted incorrectly after a service, due to a faulty cam belt tensioner and the engine ran rough as ****!! When I looked at the engine prior to the service it was balanced, after the service it was moving around. Like it was mising. I knew something was up

Cheers Phill C

PS Good luck sorting it out