Impreza GC8 V6 Sport Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2023, 03:43 PM
Eecer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza GC8 V6 Sport Engine Swap

Hello!
Ive had a V6 GC8 Sport that Ive been doing up, been waiting to do a swap and Ive bought a crashed V6 uk2000 as a donor car.

Im wondering what I also need to swap. I know that engine harness will need to be swapped, dash harness, ecu, whole drivetrain and fuel tank will be needed to be swapped and Im trying to think what else I need. From my understanding I dont need to change the hubs as I think the sport axles are r160.

I doubt subaru would change the rear harness depending on what model you have so I dont think I need to touch that.

If you're wondering about if I'm doing this for insurance reasons, then no. Its just that the car holds way too much (Than I like to admit) sentimental value. I'm fine paying abit extra than I normally would I've gotten some quotes which I'm happy with.

Any input would be appricated! All I ask is for serious answers and not telling me to just get a UK2000. My only option is swapping. Thanks!

Last edited by Eecer; 07 July 2023 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07 July 2023, 05:49 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

You shouldn't need to change the dash harness. The engine harness plugs into the main harness in the passenger side near the footwell. Clocks may need to be changed. If I remember correctly the sport has a smaller tank but if you change the whole fuel pump cradle over with the other tank I think thats enough.
Old 07 July 2023, 06:11 PM
Eecer
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
You shouldn't need to change the dash harness. The engine harness plugs into the main harness in the passenger side near the footwell. Clocks may need to be changed. If I remember correctly the sport has a smaller tank but if you change the whole fuel pump cradle over with the other tank I think thats enough.
Thanks for your reply It's appreciated!

Surely the Dash harness would need to be changed as the ECU has different connectors? No need to worry about the clocks, made a custom harness to fit a 06 STI cluster. I was going to swap the tank as I'm dropping the subframe soon to do some refreshing might as well swap it there then than later.
Old 07 July 2023, 06:35 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Changing the dash harness will mean removing the dash. Not something I would look to do in a hurry lol. Before you do that check the plugs that go into the ecu and see if they are the same.

When you change jdm to UK or vice versa there are only 3 pins that need to be moved. Saves having to change the dash harness. I thought spork and turbo were the same but could be wrong.
Old 07 July 2023, 07:44 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

The Bulkhead wiring harness is the harness that includes much of the engine wiring. it straddles the bulkhead with some of it in the engine bay and most of it behind the dash. There is also an instrument harness under the dash.

For reference only- diagrams for a MY97 turbo 2000 as MY99 and MY00 are hard to find.

Bulkhead in compartment

Bulkhead in engine bay

Instrument

Last edited by Don Clark; 07 July 2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07 July 2023, 07:57 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

The bulkhead harness splits off so engine and behind dash are separate. Well they were on my type r, B092, B101 and B124 were the 3 plugs I think. I left the inside loom and only changed the engine loom because it was in terrible condition. Didn't fancy trying to repair it.
Old 07 July 2023, 10:38 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

There is also the engine harness and the front harness in the engine bay
A number of items for the engine are connected with the bulkhead harness - ECU, O2 sensor, Maf, Knock sensor, Boost Sensor; Ignitor, Wastegate control Solenoid.....
There is also the separate Alternator/Battery/Starter harness

Bulkhead to Engine connections are B20-E1; B21-E2 and B22-E3 All within the engine bay.
Turbo Engine harness

Front harness

Old 08 July 2023, 12:05 PM
Eecer
Scooby Newbie

Thank you both for your replies!

I can confirm that the connectors are very much not the same. So I will need to swap the dash harness, doesn't seem to bad of a job hardest part is trying to remember where each connector goes (Thank you sharpies lol).

I was wondering if I need to change the harness going to the fusebox aswell or can I leave it?
As the cars are pretty much the same thanks to being registered a month apart according to DVLA, The rest of the car should be identical apart from the things I've listed (I hope lol). If you guys have any other suggestions or things that might need changing. Give us a shout!

Last edited by Eecer; 08 July 2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 15 July 2023, 11:40 AM
BrianJoseph
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
The Bulkhead wiring harness is the harness that includes much of the engine wiring. it straddles the bulkhead with some of it in the engine bay and most of it behind the dash. There is also an instrument harness under the dash.

For reference only- diagrams for a MY97 turbo 2000 as MY99 and MY00 are hard to find.

Bulkhead in compartment

Bulkhead in engine bay

Spoiler

Instrument
Thank you for sharing pictures too, it helps me a lot.

Last edited by BrianJoseph; 21 July 2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 15 July 2023, 08:17 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eecer
Thank you both for your replies!

I can confirm that the connectors are very much not the same. So I will need to swap the dash harness, doesn't seem to bad of a job hardest part is trying to remember where each connector goes (Thank you sharpies lol).

I was wondering if I need to change the harness going to the fusebox aswell or can I leave it?
As the cars are pretty much the same thanks to being registered a month apart according to DVLA, The rest of the car should be identical apart from the things I've listed (I hope lol). If you guys have any other suggestions or things that might need changing. Give us a shout!
So thats something new then, thanks for confiming.

In reference to engine loom it should go to the fuse box too. Its easier with the passenger wing off. When I put the donor loom in I changed the fuse box too.