A few easy questions to the experience Subie owners

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2022, 06:20 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink A few easy questions to the experience Subie owners

Hi guys,

I got my Forester last month, my first Subaru in my life so still exploring it and learning how to maintain it. I got a few questions and would like to ask them if you allow me.

1. Every time I pull out the automatic transmission dipstick, I find 1-2 bubbles with smaller bubbles inside. Is it normal (I would assume) or it should be a concern? The image is attached below.
2. I found that the engine pan sealant needs to be replaced sometime soon. There is no leak with drops or something, just kind of light wet coating on the back side of the pan with no leak. I am going to replace the sealant in the nearest future and considering putting a pan gasket or silicon? Please advise.
3. Found an area underneath with black color sticky kind coating. I am not sure what is this? Oil? or Factory rust protection, but why is only that area covered? Have no idea what is that. Image attached.
4. When accelerating and RPMs are in the range of ~1900-2100, I hear a low tone sound. Its smoothly comes out at around 1900 and smoothly goes away at 2100. Could it be the exhaust? turbo? it does not sound concerning, sounds kind of normal but I would like to know what is it.

Old 17 June 2022, 06:47 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Underseal
JDM models, from the factory, are not fully treated with underseal as not required for most of Japan.
As you are in Canada probably best to have it treated whilst still in good condition.

just kind of light wet coating on the back side of the pan with no leak.
Could be for a number of reasons, turbo oil return line rubber hose on way out, or the rear crankshaft seal weeping slightly.

As you've been draining/refilling the ATF probably best to try beeding the control valve of air as per attached.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Old 17 June 2022, 12:13 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you @Don Clark . Much appreciated.