Sponsored by:

drivers rocker cover sealing advice

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2015, 10:38 AM
themaskedunit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivers rocker cover sealing advice

hi guys. im having a right mare trying to get my drivers rocker to seal up. removing it is no prob, i can get it stripped down in 45 mins including the manifold off but im having trouble with it still weeping from the back edge near the half moon. ive used 250 deg black rtv sealant which is what ive used for years with good results but this is doing my nut in now.

ive bought a new outer seal, inners and gromits so im not half inching it. any tips from someone whos successfully done it on here?

cheers
Old 12 February 2015, 02:10 PM
kontkret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by themaskedunit
hi guys. im having a right mare trying to get my drivers rocker to seal up. removing it is no prob, i can get it stripped down in 45 mins including the manifold off but im having trouble with it still weeping from the back edge near the half moon. ive used 250 deg black rtv sealant which is what ive used for years with good results but this is doing my nut in now.

ive bought a new outer seal, inners and gromits so im not half inching it. any tips from someone whos successfully done it on here?

cheers
Hi Bud,

I ve done it twice on my Forester turbo. You probably know this but just in case... Have you replace the half moons as well?? You can take them out without destroying using small hammer and gently, hit in one of the sides, until it will rotate and pop out. I used new one, but they are re-usable.
I use two different silicons, first time I used three bond - not the best idea if you don't have engine out! As even smallest amount of oil is going to make a problem with proper seal. Second time I used LoctiteŽ 40463 - RTV 598. Very good, as even if there will be any oil drop still seal well.
Also I am sure you aware of that, but most people jacks engine a bit, I ve done the same and slightly tilt it so the oil don't drop through matting faces. Plus good idea is to rough the engine head face with some sanding paper. Ideally you want to use a small sanding block.
Since I ve done in this way, it stays dry

Maybe it will help....
Old 12 February 2015, 04:15 PM
s1wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was above, loctite. Sealed first time..
Old 12 February 2015, 04:38 PM
Qwertyco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kontkret
Hi Bud,

. . . . Plus good idea is to rough the engine head face with some sanding paper. Ideally you want to use a small sanding block.
Since I ve done in this way, it stays dry

Maybe it will help....
Sandpaper - near the open cam covers?
where does all the loose abrasive grit and debris go?
Old 12 February 2015, 04:43 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

cheers

Did you buy all genuine parts ???
Old 12 February 2015, 05:23 PM
kontkret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Qwertyco
Sandpaper - near the open cam covers?
where does all the loose abrasive grit and debris go?
Mate I am begging you
Old 12 February 2015, 08:36 PM
themaskedunit
Scooby Regular

thats some good advice cheers dude. ive bought a pattern part (bga quality gasket)

http://catalogue.bgautomotive.co.uk/Products?type=Part&id=425616

(i work in the car trade) and im 100% happy that they are a snug fit after trial fitting and comparing to the originals. the annoying things is this bloody weep. ive rtvd the half moons and the car was jacked up approx 35/40 degrees away from the rocker and wasnt leaking any oil while fitting.

do you need to apply rtv to both the rocker cover recess and the flat face of the engine side aswell? ive only put it in the recess as i assumed that the pressure from the rtv on the cover side would force the gasket tighter to the engine if anything. its all aligned perfect aswell as i can check from under the car with the mani off so im happy nothing is amiss.

its proper doing my head in this. if i cant solve it this time the next attempt will be made using FIRE lol
Old 12 February 2015, 09:07 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

ive bought a pattern part

This is the issue.

Trust me, been there and done it with pattern parts. And I've had to remove them due to them weeping and replace them with genuine ones.
Old 12 February 2015, 09:08 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

I used a second hand seal and a light smear of Subaru three bond on mine. works a treat.
Old 12 February 2015, 09:34 PM
themaskedunit
Scooby Regular

hmmmm right. looks like ill have to punt out for a genuine subaru seal then. i lined it up to the original and the pattern one looked spot on though so thats annoying. will it still need a dose of rtv using a genuine seal and if so where would you apply it, both faces?
Old 13 February 2015, 01:10 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

I used an old (probably about 10 years!) tube of Hylomar Blue when I did mine 18 months ago, as it was the only thing I had around at the time and it has been fine ever since. I did use genuine gaskets though, bought from Import Car Parts.
Old 15 February 2015, 03:36 PM
themaskedunit
Scooby Regular

anyone got a clue about where to apply the rtv? both faces?
Old 15 February 2015, 04:37 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use genuine parts and make sure all faces are oil free ( brake cleaner is your friend ).

Put sealant on the back of the half moons and fit to head.
Personally, I put sealant on both left and right sides of the rubber gasket and then fit it to the cam cover ( this stops the oil working itself under the gasket ).
A light smear on the face of the gasket where it contacts the head face.
Fit the sealing washers to the bolts and a light smear of sealant on the face of the washer where it will contact the cam cover.

Never had one leak in 8 years and countless engines.

Hope this helps.

Mick
Old 17 February 2015, 07:20 PM
themaskedunit
Scooby Regular

thanks mick thats great advice. cheers
Old 17 February 2015, 07:22 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

don't over tighten.
Old 25 February 2015, 11:18 AM
casasteve
Scooby Regular

Great info here guys. I'm looking to do the drivers side on my WRX this weekend. Can you give me a run down of sealants again?

How does LoctiteŽ 40463 - RTV 598 compare to Subabond? Is Subabond the same as Fujibond? Anyone used Hondabond?
Old 25 February 2015, 11:33 AM
kontkret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by casasteve
Great info here guys. I'm looking to do the drivers side on my WRX this weekend. Can you give me a run down of sealants again?

How does LoctiteŽ 40463 - RTV 598 compare to Subabond? Is Subabond the same as Fujibond? Anyone used Hondabond?
Loctite will be the best, if you doing it on a car. Done quite few with Loctite, and even if there is small amount of oil/greas it will still seal it. ThreeBond, is good, but the surface need to be really clean, otherwise it won't seal. Used HondaBond on my accord - good, although would rate it lowest from those three.
Old 25 February 2015, 11:44 AM
casasteve
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Can I ask a stupid question? I'm new to gasket sealants, as I'm learning as I go. Searching for 40463 RTV 598, I find this (on Amazon):

Loctite 37467 RTV 598 Black Silicone 80ml/2.7oz: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike Loctite 37467 RTV 598 Black Silicone 80ml/2.7oz: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

It's RTV 598, but is it the same product?

Sorry, I realise that's a bit of a stupid question, but I'm not confident enough to just buy it and get on with it!