Notices

Exhaust leak from turbo area

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2010, 05:13 AM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak from turbo area

I've got oil/exhaust smell from under bonnet of my UK 2001 WRX (115k miles on clock)
Started from cold yesterday and could see fumes coming from either down pipe to turbo gasket (flange with 5 bolts) or from around the wastegate accuator shaft where it goes through the turbo housing body. Can't see for sure but there looks to be some carbon deposits round the top of the shaft/housing joint (seal?) Any thoughts?
Replacing gasket looks simple (best to replace bolts?) but if it's from the shaft seal, is it a new or re-con turbo?
Thanks for any help
Old 27 December 2010, 05:29 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there if its not smoking on boost,turbo will be fine(standard TD04 are pretty strong turbos),maybe is just gasket,but without closer inspection nobody tell you what is it.TD04 are pretty cheap turbo(around 70-150£ used)if its turbo,if its just gasket probably 10-15£,please don't use paper gasket,but use OEM gasket.
Maybe this help,

Jura
Old 06 January 2011, 09:36 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Bugeye Standard WRX 2001. I wonder if this is a similar sort of smell (a bit like head gasket smell) I sometimes get wafting into the car cabin. As I said, it's not all the time, usually when stopped after sustained cruising or steady speed driving. I don't think it's the main engine head gasket as surely it would smell all the time and the oil is clean and there's no visible or evident oily film in the radiator coolant. I've also had CEL light on constant, after several occasions of flashing whilst accelarating harder through 3rd/4th gears. CEL Light went off again on own accord but then started flashing again until then once again has stopped on all the time, plus whilst on permanently also sometimes flashes when the hard accelaration scenario. Whenever I have asked gaarage to diagnose it had come back with P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire, and once had Neutral Position Switch changed. I have become blase about CEL light as car seems to drive reasonably enough and is reliable, plus it always seems to have been P0303 which the bugeye is fabled for and dealer says is probably the ECU being sensitive. Something though is obviously not optimum somewhere. Is any of this connected to one or more possible causes?
Old 07 January 2011, 12:17 AM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

are you sure that its not a leaking rocker cover gasket (common on exhaust side)
oil can work its way down onto the up-pipe/downpipe/heat shields and be misleading as too where the smoke/smell is coming from.

friend had a similar problem, was absolutely convinced that it was his turbo leaking oil!
only too find after spending many £££'s that it was his bloody cocker cover gasket!
Old 07 January 2011, 08:23 AM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

It's defo not rocker gasket as I replaced it and have since checked to make sure there is no oil - dry now.
When started from cold I can see fumes from around down-pipe / turbo joint gasket but as I say, there looks to be a bit of carbon around wastegate actuator shaft (think that's what it's called)
I have bought o.e. metal gasket and new bolts/studs/nuts which I will fit this weekend - see if that cures it.
It could be that oily smell and exhaust fumes are un-related - I'm not losing oil and can't see any in engine tray. My old classic Impreza always had a slight oil smell after a thrashing - maybe just live with it.
Regarding CEL light, until last night could have said never been a problem but travelling home dropped it from 4th to 5th at about 75 to get across to my exit on motorway and it started flashing. Went off after about 30 seconds and stayed off - fine this morning. Will see what happens in next few days.
Thanks for input guys
Old 31 January 2011, 12:48 PM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Just to follow up - had down pipe to turbo gasket replaced couple of weeks ago now. It cured obvious exhaust leak and now no burning oil smell - result
Any theories? Could it be that as leaking gasket was close to turbo the burning oil smell was coming from this? There is usually a coating of oil residue on inside of inlet pipe work beyond turbo.
Anyhoo - car running sweet as ever.