Notices

Oil weap, back of engine, passenger side. Should i be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2015, 04:42 PM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil weap, back of engine, passenger side. Should i be worried?

I'm currently in the market for an STI and a lot of the ones i've viewed and my current WRX all have a small oil weap at the back of the engine on the passenger side running down the head gasket (Not loads of oil just a dry black patch a couple mm wide). Now all the cars including my own all run fine, pull fine in every gear, don't get got, and have no other signs of anything serious.

My own car has even been check by a reputable tuner and ran on the dyno again all good, no cause for concern.

My question really is, is this a common thing and nothing to worry about, or the beginning of an expensive headgasket replacement. I only ask as I do not want to part with a good amount of money only to be paying 1-2K for an engine rebuild soon after.

I will try and get a picture, but last time i tried it was just too dark to make out on my phone.
Old 02 November 2015, 06:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

no oil should not be leaking, needs the rocker gaskets sorting asap. oil in the hot engine bay is never a good idea.

It's pretty common but once it starts will only get worse and while not a big thing it can become one if you don't sort it promptly
Old 02 November 2015, 06:54 PM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
no oil should not be leaking, needs the rocker gaskets sorting asap. oil in the hot engine bay is never a good idea.

It's pretty common but once it starts will only get worse and while not a big thing it can become one if you don't sort it promptly
I will try again and get a picture off my own car tomorrow, now I've found a decent torch. The place I'm talking about is literally just left of the Bellhousing location, nothing like the extent of the picture, that's just a reference for the location it is merely a 2mm wide max black dry line i guess a bit similar to the upper region of the picture.

More importantly from a buying point of view are you saying i shouldn't be seeing any at all and its should all be clean like the very top of the picture. I'm in no rush so i will pass up the cars if that's the case.

Old 02 November 2015, 07:56 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Look like leaking from head gasket
Old 02 November 2015, 08:50 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be the rear crank oil seal, walk away
Old 02 November 2015, 09:03 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rear crank seal is gearbox out job. While there it would be crazy not to do the clutch as well. Could get very expensive.
Old 03 November 2015, 12:58 AM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys, I've taken the advice and decided not too have the car. The last thing I want to be doing is paying to have the engine or gearbox out on top of the price of the car.
Old 03 November 2015, 08:22 AM
Anko Dragt
Scooby Regular

Defo head gasket issue in the oil return galleys. rear main seal would give a different pattern, and no oil on the outside of the engine..(it will make a trail down beneath the flywheel and around it in the bellhousing).

The leakage of the picture shouldnt be an issue for now if its only wet, not dripping.
it isnt normal tho.