Funny smell.......

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2001, 08:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Assistance guys/gals......

I've got an MY95 5dr Turbo with 70K (just had interim service - UK model)

When first fired up, a funny 'burning rubber' smell appears, however, not all the time. Almost as if it's something to do with all this damp weather.....
The smell (intermittant) vanishes very quickly and normal service resumes....

It then re-appears after the car has been driven and is turned off (after a duration of idling). Again, the smell vanished relatively quickly.....

The smell isn't 'eggy' - thus ruling out the Cat. It isn't clutchy smell either.

But it is 'enginey' (??!!!!)

No blue smoke on ignition (Turbo), BUT on tick over, after opening the bonnet, tiny bit of steam (?) coming from the radiator....

I know nothing about engines, so any help would be gratefully appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Old 12 February 2001, 10:51 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Seeing that you have just had a service done could it not be a coolant leak as anti freeze smells rather funny when its escaped on to a hot engine.

or

You may have a leaking rocker cover gasket, which is a common fault.
Oil leaks out onto exhaust (before the turbo, left hand side of engine bay) and this causes smells as well as smoke.
You can usually smell and see smoke when you have been for a drive and then stop, smoke will rise from the engine bay from all over, giving you now idea where it's from and you get the smell.

Hope this helps.

Muddy
Old 13 February 2001, 09:14 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

muddy,

I discovered the effects of a rocker oil leak when I pulled up to find flames coming out of my off side bonnet vent! What had happened was that the engine, which I had bought second hand, must have been leaking oil for a while, this then caught fire after I gave it a bit of stick the first time. I saw the smoke, but I'm so "used" to smoke, every time I do exhaust work I get it, I dismissed it. Fortunately I got away with only a charred lead on No. 3 coil pack, there's nso little in my engine bay at the mo, there wasn't anything in the way

It may be possible, with a torch, to shine down past the off side cylinder head and see if the heatsheild looks "wet" which could indicate an oil leak. It's easy enough to fix (in my case it was a bent bolt, which I replaced, and added some small washers just to pull the cover down just that little bit more).

It's odd, though, that the smell appears when the engine is first fired. The manifold only get up to about 150-200 degrees at first! Hardly enough to cause the oil to burn off. I think the thing to do is to open the bonnet, start the engine, and have a look....

If you have aircon, be VERY careful until the problem is identified. Smoking in a car with a leaking AC system can KILL you pretty much instantly... the refrigerant can burn to give cyanide or an acid (I forget which, would have to look it up) byproduct, nasty stuff!

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 13 February 2001, 09:25 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys!!!

Just looked at the service sheet to confirm, but the rocker gasket cover needs replacing

Question is -

Is it serious (as I can't get to a garage until next week now - I work in the middle of nowhere!!)

BTW - Thanks Pat, but haven't got the luxury of A/C yet

Cheers again guys

One VERY happy bunny

Dan
Old 15 February 2001, 08:10 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoo555

If it is a leaking rocker cover gasket, It's not that serious, I drove for 6 months with it leaking until I replaced it .
Replacing it is quite easy.
It is a very minimal loss, it just looks or smells bad because it is hitting the exhaust.
A few hours to replace and gasket set costs between £20-40 from a dealer (Cannot remember exact price!!!).

Muddy.
Old 15 February 2001, 08:46 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Nice one Muddy

Gonna get it sorted out asap - "Knowing my luck, something terrible will happen" Unlucky Alf (Fast Show)

Got a m8 who's doing it and some other bits for me, so not to much of a wallet bashing

Cheers

Dan