Notices

Good ol overheating. Hawkeye WRX Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2021, 05:59 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good ol overheating. Hawkeye WRX Thermostat?

Looking for advice on this guys n girls. No idea what I'm doing really. Watched all the YouTube videos I can find but noone seems to have the same symptoms as me. My car has been parked for about a year.... I ran it for a couple of weeks, short journeys, seemed fine. Then I drove to North London and it overheated, so I got it towed back home. The radiator was leaking from the top plastic joint. The RAC man said it was probably just a bad rad but I fiited a new rad and it's still over heating. The fans ARE NOT turning on, but I've tested them with the under dash connector and they do work? Have I got a dodgy temp sensor? Or a dodgy thermostat? The bottom radiator pipe doesn't feel very hot so it seems like the hot coolant is not circulating? Has sitting for a year ceased the thermostat? I can't even see the temperature sensor under the bonnet, apparently if you follow the top rad hose back along the plenham it's there but there's too much **** in the way.
If anyone's had this problem or knows what the F is going on please tell me. Thanks in advance. Tom
Old 08 March 2021, 09:43 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

I've seen this quite a lot on the forum before. Looks like it hasn't been bled properly

The following users liked this post:
Old 08 March 2021, 10:41 AM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
I've seen this quite a lot on the forum before. Looks like it hasn't been bled properly
Yes that's what I'm hearing. Only problem with that is I hear the hawkeye onwards has bleed holes in the top of the thermostat that were supposed to alleviate the trapped air problem. But looks like that's the first port of call before I fit a new thermostat. As some have said on other threads, if a stat sticks it normally sticks open! Thanks for the reply matey.
Old 08 March 2021, 11:32 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivesy
Yes that's what I'm hearing. Only problem with that is I hear the hawkeye onwards has bleed holes in the top of the thermostat that were supposed to alleviate the trapped air problem. But looks like that's the first port of call before I fit a new thermostat. As some have said on other threads, if a stat sticks it normally sticks open! Thanks for the reply matey.
Bleed hole in most thermostats (jiggle pin) but they only work if fitted correctly at the top. If you look behind the alternator on the crossover pipe you will find the CTS remove alternator to change. Sounds like you need to empty and refill your cooling system. OBD live data and you could watch your CTS data.
Old 08 March 2021, 12:18 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Bleed hole in most thermostats (jiggle pin) but they only work if fitted correctly at the top. If you look behind the alternator on the crossover pipe you will find the CTS remove alternator to change. Sounds like you need to empty and refill your cooling system. OBD live data and you could watch your CTS data.
Thanks Joe. Will get onto it this weekend. Shall i try a bleed and refill before I do anything else?
Old 08 March 2021, 12:54 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Thanks Joe. Will get onto it this weekend. Shall i try a bleed and refill before I do anything else?
Well it certainly wouldn't do any harm.
Old 13 March 2021, 06:47 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Default Sorted

Thanks for the advice guys. I drained and refilled, and this time I burped it for ages and refilled it and it seems to be fine. Fans are coming on, car is staying below half on temp guage. Just gotta do the cambelt now. And the bushes.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ivesy:
Old 13 March 2021, 08:46 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Thats brilliant
Old 13 March 2021, 09:18 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. I drained and refilled, and this time I burped it for ages and refilled it and it seems to be fine. Fans are coming on, car is staying below half on temp guage. Just gotta do the cambelt now. And the bushes.
Glad to hear everything's ok