Notices

fpr

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2020, 06:56 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fpr

can a fuel pressure regulator be to far from the end of the fuel rail?
the reason for asking i have a 3psi dip in differential fuel pressure as boost rises, the fpr is situated on the other side of the inlet manifold which is about 3 feet of pipe from the standard position on the end of the fuel rail. could this cause a pressure drop?
3psi doesnt sound much but it is around a 6% drop
thanks
dean
Old 11 October 2020, 07:28 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by sti.dean
can a fuel pressure regulator be to far from the end of the fuel rail?
the reason for asking i have a 3psi dip in differential fuel pressure as boost rises, the fpr is situated on the other side of the inlet manifold which is about 3 feet of pipe from the standard position on the end of the fuel rail. could this cause a pressure drop?
3psi doesnt sound much but it is around a 6% drop
thanks
dean
Shouldn't have a drop in pressure MAYBE a very slight delay. I would look at elsewhere for your problem.
Old 11 October 2020, 09:05 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Shouldn't have a drop in pressure MAYBE a very slight delay. I would look at elsewhere for your problem.
hi
Got any sugestions, it got a brand new 340lph fuel pump that is hard wired to the battery running at 100% all the time, new reg that i have vacuume checked with no leaks
is it possible that the long vacuum reference line could have a pressure/vacuum drop?
looking at logs it does appear to be reference related it starts to drop pressure as boost goes positive and when you come off the throttle it gains 2psi above base pressure for a few seconds
I have tried different diameter vacuum lines from availble ports on manifold but they were all long runs and made no difference
Old 11 October 2020, 10:36 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

As long as you have no vacuum or fuel leaks and your pumps ok and everything is constant that is probably the way it is going to be. Your senders and gauges are not realistically going to be perfect. When getting mapped if there's anything amiss it will show then.
Old 11 October 2020, 11:13 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
As long as you have no vacuum or fuel leaks and your pumps ok and everything is constant that is probably the way it is going to be. Your senders and gauges are not realistically going to be perfect. When getting mapped if there's anything amiss it will show then.
thanks for replying
give or take half a psi it is constant and i have no leaning out issues, although its not helping my high injector duty at high rpm, its just something thats bugged me for a while that i cant find the cause of it and the worry if something is weak it could get worse
the logs are taken from syvecs ecu and deffi sensor, so would have thought they would be fairly accurate
do the figures look fairly normal and nobody really gets perfect boost reference to fuel pressure?
thanks again
Old 12 October 2020, 10:21 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

So if I recall, the vacuum hose for the OEM FPR is a very short bit of rubber hose from just before the injectors - maybe the distance does matter?

Also, if it's an aeromotive/fuelab or similar FPR, maybe the volume of air needed to move the spring is larger (because at least visually the part that holds the diapraghm is bigger), so a thin, long, tube would take longer to equalize the pressure in the FPR vs the inlet?

What happens if you're in a section of RPM where you get boost quickly (i.e. past spool point) and let go of the throttle so you're in negative manifold pressure, and then stomp on the throttle to get max boost as quickly as possible? Do you still see the same lag between MAP vs fuel pressure?
Old 12 October 2020, 11:34 AM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
So if I recall, the vacuum hose for the OEM FPR is a very short bit of rubber hose from just before the injectors - maybe the distance does matter?

Also, if it's an aeromotive/fuelab or similar FPR, maybe the volume of air needed to move the spring is larger (because at least visually the part that holds the diapraghm is bigger), so a thin, long, tube would take longer to equalize the pressure in the FPR vs the inlet?

What happens if you're in a section of RPM where you get boost quickly (i.e. past spool point) and let go of the throttle so you're in negative manifold pressure, and then stomp on the throttle to get max boost as quickly as possible? Do you still see the same lag between MAP vs fuel pressure?
hi
yes same pattern, as boost goes positive fp dips 3psi below base pressure, come off throttle fp goes 2psi above base pressure, straight back on throttle fp dips again.
the vac line is thick walled but i am thinking it maybe expanding under pressure and sucking shut under vacuum. i have just thought of something else i can try, replumb recirc valve vac pipe to another point on the manifold and plumb fpr vac pipe to port on underside of the manifold which is a much shorter run to see if it makes any difference
Old 12 October 2020, 01:07 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you get any lean spots or hesitation after shifting gears, normal driving or WOT?

I get a lean spot after shifting when driving easily, one tuner suggested I might need fuel pulsation dampers in my fuel lines.
Old 12 October 2020, 01:53 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Turbovin;12091020]Do you get any lean spots or hesitation after shifting gears, normal driving or WOT?

I get a lean spot after shifting when driving easily, one tuner suggested I might need fuel pulsation dampers in my fuel lines.[/QU

i dont get any lean spots or hesitation.
has your car been mapped? it may need a little bit more fuel adding at the bottom of the fuel table,

Last edited by sti.dean; 12 October 2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12 October 2020, 05:05 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=sti.dean;12091021]
Originally Posted by Turbovin
Do you get any lean spots or hesitation after shifting gears, normal driving or WOT?

I get a lean spot after shifting when driving easily, one tuner suggested I might need fuel pulsation dampers in my fuel lines.[/QU

i dont get any lean spots or hesitation.
has your car been mapped? it may need a little bit more fuel adding at the bottom of the fuel table,
Yes it's been mapped but he couldn't fully get rid of it. I have a Link G4+. I will experiment with fuel lines etc, I have some ideas which may solve this.
Old 21 June 2023, 02:33 PM
scoobynshag
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine sorted in the end. Changed all injector seals and engine fuel lines and a new set of plugs and new fuel of course and fired into life instantly. The seals were knackered and the plugs, well let’s say they’ve seen better days and I’m amazed they even worked.