Notices

New turbo options for a Hawkeye spec c

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2020, 04:44 PM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New turbo options for a Hawkeye spec c

I'm in the market for a new turbo as mine is on it's way out so its parked up for now,

was gonna just get the turbo rebuilt at Midland turbos but I might as well go for a bit more power because I have every other mod in place to achieve 450 bhp essy or more probably,

its a spec c and is currently around 380bhp so I'll be looking for a turbo that can take me up to at least 430bhp and to be honest I haven't got a clue what my options are at all,

I don't really want anything that will be mega aggressive boost wise and turn it into a savage, it's just a fast road car really so I'd want standard sort of spool times but more top end power maybe something like that,

thanks.
Old 31 January 2020, 05:32 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

SC42+ from the clinic will suit you down to the ground.
The following users liked this post:
Old 31 January 2020, 05:52 PM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
SC42+ from the clinic will suit you down to the ground.

mate!! Just had a look, they look the bollocks and yeah your right that's just what I'm after,

cheers mate
Old 02 February 2020, 02:03 PM
terzo282
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Hawkeye is fitted with Turbo Dynamics MDX555-450 on a built 2.5 made 422bhp 446ft/ lbs limited by injectors. Might be worth considering
Old 02 February 2020, 03:06 PM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terzo282
My Hawkeye is fitted with Turbo Dynamics MDX555-450 on a built 2.5 made 422bhp 446ft/ lbs limited by injectors. Might be worth considering
Any idea What its like spooling up compared to a sc42 or a standard spec c turbo?
Old 02 February 2020, 03:19 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

What supporting mods do you have?As has been said above a SC42 from the clinic will do you well,but any upgrade turbo at that BHP level will come in quicker and the spool up will be more urgent but saying that it will all depend really on how its mapped.SJ.
Old 02 February 2020, 08:25 PM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
What supporting mods do you have?As has been said above a SC42 from the clinic will do you well,but any upgrade turbo at that BHP level will come in quicker and the spool up will be more urgent but saying that it will all depend really on how its mapped.SJ.
it's already got supporting mods in place.

bigger injectors.
uprated fuel pump.
miltek sports cat.
trust cat back exhaust.
front mount intercooler.
relocated air filter.

yeah I'm aware the turbo will boost harder at that level BHP I just don't want to install a turbo that completely changes the characteristics of the car, I'm after a fast road car so don't want anything that turns it into a savage sprint car that's constantly on boots.

Before I owned the car it was being setup for track days and it had an owen developments beast of a turbo on and I didn't like it so I purchased it with the standard turbo back on.

that turbo with the spec c short ratio gearing made it a savage that was constantly on boost, would of been a savage on the track but wasn't any good for me just cruising around most the time and I'd hate to buy a turbo that puts me back where I first started.

Old 02 February 2020, 08:47 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me that your existing turbo is a good enough choice the determining factor in how aggressive the car is your right foot. A standard turbo would need more effort to go quicker i.e. rev it harder where as a bigger turbo would be more lethargic if driven sedately. But if you start to give it the beans it will come to life and turn it into a savage as you call it.

Last edited by 1509joe; 02 February 2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02 February 2020, 08:50 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cheddabreeze84
it's already got supporting mods in place.

bigger injectors.
uprated fuel pump.
miltek sports cat.
trust cat back exhaust.
front mount intercooler.
relocated air filter.

yeah I'm aware the turbo will boost harder at that level BHP I just don't want to install a turbo that completely changes the characteristics of the car, I'm after a fast road car so don't want anything that turns it into a savage sprint car that's constantly on boots.

Before I owned the car it was being setup for track days and it had an owen developments beast of a turbo on and I didn't like it so I purchased it with the standard turbo back on.

that turbo with the spec c short ratio gearing made it a savage that was constantly on boost, would of been a savage on the track but wasn't any good for me just cruising around most the time and I'd hate to buy a turbo that puts me back where I first started.
You have answered your own question then!...if I was you I would just keep the turbo thats on your car and get it rebuilt so as to keep your power output around the same level,with more power the characteristics/drivability of the car will change thats coming from driving Subarus and modifying them since 2003.SJ.
Old 02 February 2020, 08:58 PM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me that your existing turbo is a good enough choice the determining factor in how aggressive the car is your right foot. A standard turbo would need more effort to go quicker i.e. rev it harder where as a bigger turbo would be more lethargic if driven sedately. But if you start to give it the beans it will come to life and turn it into a savage as you call it.
Don't get me wrong i was fairly happy with my existing turbo but im used to that power now so as its broke I might as well go for more power,

the bigger turbo that was on it before certainly wasn't more lethargic than the standard on seven when being driven sedately as you call it.

don't want to change the spooling times but I like the sounds of boosting harder and more top end so based on that I think the sc 42 from scooby clinic will suit me better than the standard one I'm used to
Old 02 February 2020, 09:09 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Your car wouldn't be at the clinic at the minute would it cause they are waiting on delivery of turbos at the minute.
The next step up for you is as was said before the SC42+ but it is capable of far more than 420 with supporting mods.
Old 02 February 2020, 09:12 PM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

You have answered your own question then!...if I was you I would just keep the turbo thats on your car and get it rebuilt so as to keep your power output around the same level,with more power the characteristics/drivability of the car will change thats coming from driving Subarus and modifying them since 2003.SJ.
Thanks for your reply

Sorry I don't think I was explaining myself properly,

obviously the characteristics are always going to change when modifications are being done but I don't want anything extreme is all I was trying to say so something that turns it into an all out race card is a no no.

there are many turbos for sale and they all have slightly different characteristics I'm sure you agree and this post was started to discuss my options because I wanted to get slightly more power and a bit of a harder boost without sacrificing too much driveability while cruising around so staying with my broken standard one isn't really what I want to do otherwise I wouldn't of bothered asking on here to be honest.

the only characteristics I don't want to change is spoiling times really....bit more boost and top end welcomed
Old 02 February 2020, 09:18 PM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

Your car wouldn't be at the clinic at the minute would it cause they are waiting on delivery of turbos at the minute.
The next step up for you is as was said before the SC42+ but it is capable of far more than 420 with supporting mods.
wowzers!! Thought 420bhp was pretty much its limit, I'd be happy with that anyway .

yeah your right mate, as soon as you mentioned it I looked them up and was pretty much sold on them straight away so I gave them a ring and purchased one online but it's on back order so as soon as it lands I've got to take the car down for fitment, mapping and a new air filter kit
Old 03 February 2020, 08:33 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cheddabreeze84
Thanks for your reply

Sorry I don't think I was explaining myself properly,

obviously the characteristics are always going to change when modifications are being done but I don't want anything extreme is all I was trying to say so something that turns it into an all out race card is a no no.

there are many turbos for sale and they all have slightly different characteristics I'm sure you agree and this post was started to discuss my options because I wanted to get slightly more power and a bit of a harder boost without sacrificing too much driveability while cruising around so staying with my broken standard one isn't really what I want to do otherwise I wouldn't of bothered asking on here to be honest.

the only characteristics I don't want to change is spoiling times really....bit more boost and top end welcomed
i understand exactly what you are saying mateRight i would still go with an SC42 and have switchable maps one for around town drivability and one for a more thrilling ride best of both worlds....I run Syvecs on my car and have 6 maps for anti lag/launch control and power maps from 430 bhp being my bottom map reaching up to silly powers if i need it so I guess with the right mapper most things are possible and if you explain exactly how you want the car to be set up i’m pretty sure that the guys at ScoobyClinic if you get them to map your car would be more then able to oblige.SJ.
Old 03 February 2020, 09:28 AM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

i understand exactly what you are saying mateRight i would still go with an SC42 and have switchable maps one for around town drivability and one for a more thrilling ride best of both worlds....I run Syvecs on my car and have 6 maps for anti lag/launch control and power maps from 430 bhp being my bottom map reaching up to silly powers if i need it so I guess with the right mapper most things are possible and if you explain exactly how you want the car to be set up i’m pretty sure that the guys at ScoobyClinic if you get them to map your car would be more then able to oblige.SJ.
your car sounds epic mate and yeah I love the idea of having the best of both worlds so thankyou for enlightening me on that matter,

Last couple of years has been focused on buying us a house and then doing it up so I havnt got the deepest pockets in the world but ivs given myself a 3k budget for a turbo and a map and I was going to get sc to do a supply fit and map all in one, I'll get on the phone to them today and see if I can stretch my budget a bit and achieve switchable maps,

thankyou for taking time out of your day fo help me mate, its appreciated highly.
Old 03 February 2020, 09:38 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

The SC42+ is a 450hp rated turbo...
Old 03 February 2020, 11:16 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LewisScoob
And can and will do more
Old 03 February 2020, 11:23 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

You have one Joe? What setup?

I've got a single scroll version thats going onto my 2.1
Old 03 February 2020, 11:31 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LewisScoob
doesn’t need to be mapped to the maximum though will sit happy at 400/420.SJ.
The following 2 users liked this post by stonejedi:
Old 03 February 2020, 11:41 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

doesn’t need to be mapped to the maximum though will sit happy at 400/420.SJ.
Agreed.
Old 03 February 2020, 01:29 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hatred
Would not touch sc42+ with nylon parts,
have a look on sh450 twinscroll
.SJ.
Old 03 February 2020, 05:52 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

plastic/nylon caged bearings on sc42
Garrett Turbos have been shipping their turbos out with those caged bearings for donkeys years now, do you think that Garrett one of if not the biggest and one of the oldest turbo designers in the world would fit them if they new they would fail?Have you ever used a SC42 before?If so has it failed?.SJ.
The following 2 users liked this post by stonejedi:
Old 03 February 2020, 06:12 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Have owned four or five SC/Blouch turbos and they have not had an easy life one way or another. Never had one fail yet the only thing is imho is they need a better actuator it becomes weak over time.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1509joe:
Old 03 February 2020, 08:45 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

use it than- Your choice ,You can use calipers with plastic pistons to,
plastic parts are clinic choice, they could spec it with better parts,its all about profit/money
there is far better spec turbo sh450 for similar money and no point to buy one with plastic parts
So I guess thats a no then to my questions...your not a scientist are you?You need to understand the difference between regular plastic and nylon polymer, we are not talking crisp packets here Lol...some nylon strands are stronger then steel so I guess Garrett know what they are doing,i do agree it could be a money saving exercise from Garrett but saying that if you can provide any relevant information of turbos failing I am prepared to listen to you,.SJ.
Old 04 February 2020, 10:48 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

You do not find a scientist on scoobynet
I'm a physicist...

I have an SC42+

found out after my order about the nylon carriers, too late for change/refund and to replace is horrifyingly expensive so i'll just stick with mine for now...
Old 04 February 2020, 11:44 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Hatred all I wanted to know is if you have personally experienced or heard or know of one of those plastic turbos failing?I think we are past the should of could of purchased this turbo or that one,the OP asked a question and got first hand advice from members who have owned or still use a SC42...I think practical use is better then hearsay or just unqualified opinions!.....To the OP update your thread with what turbo that you went for or are going to go for and some feedback on how your car drives when the turbo is fitted and mapped and if you have achieved that sweet spot in acceleration that you wanted,All the best.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 04 February 2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04 February 2020, 11:56 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...555-400-a.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...0-old-hat.html
Old 04 February 2020, 01:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Hatred all I wanted to know is if you have personally experienced or heard or know of one of those plastic turbos failing?I think we are past the should of could of purchased this turbo or that one,the OP asked a question and got first hand advice from members who have owned or still use a SC42...I think practical use is better then hearsay or just unqualified opinions!.....To the OP update your thread with what turbo that you went or are going to go for and some feedback on how your car drives when the turbo is fitted and mapped and if you have achieved that sweet spot in acceleration that you wanted,All the best.SJ.
With a name like hatred what do you expect? lol
Old 04 February 2020, 01:43 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
With a name like hatred what do you expect? lol
Yeah I was kind of thinking that myself...But saying that everyone is still entitled to have their own opinion.SJ.
Old 04 February 2020, 11:12 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Sc42 billet twin scroll
in my jdm hatch syvecs and everything else and its laggy as **** not suited to a 2litre car either imo

Quick Reply: New turbo options for a Hawkeye spec c