Notices

Ecu capability my16 sti

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2019, 08:11 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Ecu capability my16 sti

As above, just about to get forged short block, beyond this injectors, turbo, etc but what power will standard ecu run?
Old 30 August 2019, 08:41 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Happy to be corrected but i don't think the ECU will ever be the limiting factor. Only the requirement for additional sensors/monitoring would be the holding back issue. That and as above the ancillaries fitted to the engine itself.

The requirement for running multiple maps/fuels usually kicks the standard ECU into touch. .
Old 30 August 2019, 10:21 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Yes that's as I thought but mapper said the standard ecu will be at its limits around 450-470, its able to hold 3 map settings I believe as it has 3 intelligent drive modes. At the moment only the sport Sharp is mapped and the other two are really dull ( oem setting)
Didn't really want extra expense of bolt on ecu upgrade. 🤔
Old 30 August 2019, 11:08 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

I dont buy that at all. However, some view certain aftermarket ECU's as a kind of insurance policy with the ability to pull timing for many more parameters than the standard ECU will.
Old 30 August 2019, 11:18 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Maybe that's what he meant, I've dealt with him for 6 years and he is bloody good and trust him. Maybe I miss heard or understood what he meant.
So it's more of a safety thing you think.?
Old 30 August 2019, 01:14 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the additional safety features and map calibration options are why i'm going syvecs as soon as the bank balance allows.
Old 30 August 2019, 01:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisScoob
Happy to be corrected but i don't think the ECU will ever be the limiting factor. Only the requirement for additional sensors/monitoring would be the holding back issue. That and as above the ancillaries fitted to the engine itself.

The requirement for running multiple maps/fuels usually kicks the standard ECU into touch. .
iirc stock ecu has certain input signal level limits that may be reached once you start going to higher power levels. the exact limits i could't tell you, iirc you have to remove some of the safety features to see above certain boost levels.

So can you run 500 on it, quite possibly, would you want to? not really,
Old 30 August 2019, 03:00 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
iirc stock ecu has certain input signal level limits that may be reached once you start going to higher power levels. the exact limits i could't tell you, iirc you have to remove some of the safety features to see above certain boost levels.

So can you run 500 on it, quite possibly, would you want to? not really,
Perfect thanks, what would you recommend and I know the units are expensive but do they take alot to fit apart from the actual mapping?
Old 30 August 2019, 08:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 4evascoob
Perfect thanks, what would you recommend and I know the units are expensive but do they take alot to fit apart from the actual mapping?
Depends what you go for, mine will be having syvecs, fuel flex and full sensor pack. Not a quick job. Syvecs do do a plug and play option, but I would advise you get some advice from the pro's as to what's best for your application