Timing belt issues on 2.1 stroker build project

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2019, 09:44 PM
B4RKO
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt issues on 2.1 stroker build project

Hello guys,
First time on here but looks like there is a lot of decent help to be had from scoobynet, so hopefully some1 will have come across or maybe even had the same issue as I am having.
I am currently building a 2.1 stroker for my V5 type R, the long motor is built so basically building the rest of it piece by piece.
I'll breafly go over what I have put in to the long motor to give u an idea incase I have poss done something wrong and this is why the timing isn't lining up on the marks.
v2 cdb
new nitrate crank
Manley h tuff conrods
Manley stroker pistons
ACL bearings
RCM 11mm head studs
RCM head gaskets
V5 referbished heads
RCM timing belt kit
BC vernier cam pulleys

however coming across the timing belt fitment today it just doesn't seem to want to line up with the marks when the belt is fitted.
Could this be, because of the BC vernier pulleys.
I did buy these second hand and they seem like they have been adjusted slightly, but they do have the same number of teeth as the standard cam pulleys and fit perfect.
I have lined all 4 cam pulleys up so the single marks line up with the rear cam covers, and the 2 twin marks line up with each pair of cams at 6 and 12 o clock aswell. Crank is lined up also
But when fitting the timing belt, it does go on, but it sort of pulls 1 of the cam pulleys out by about 1/2 a tooth from A. the rear timing cover mark and B. where the 2 cams marks meet at 6 and 12 o clock.
however the other 3 cams stay lined up fine, but I also found that, the timing belt tensioner hasn't got much movement in it either to actually take up the slack of the belt. as in I can pretty much pull the tensioner pin out with ease, so I'm slightly lost.
It will turn over by hand and the tensioner does fluctuate while rotating, but when u line everythin up again, 1 cam pulley is still out by 1/2 a tooth, I'm worried and don't want to just leave it coz it turns over by hand, as I'm pretty sure this will cause a prob later down the line.
Would i need to slacken the BC vernier pulleys in order to have all cams lined up when the timing belt is fitted and tensioned
If so, would I really need to slacken all 4 vernier cams pulleys, then fit the timing belt and tighten everythin up, or could that turn into a bigger nightmare or would I just slacken the vernier pulley thats is out by 1/2 a tooth and then fit the belt and tension it and tighten everything up... obviously making sure all the marks lined up after turning it over by hand
any help/advise would be much appreciated

Last edited by B4RKO; 22 August 2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 23 August 2019, 08:12 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

http://www.briancrower.com/dl/calibr...structions.pdf
Old 26 August 2019, 08:03 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's quite usual to see the LH Inlet Cam (passenger side) 1/2 a tooth out from the others due to various reasons eg head/block skimming.
And as Don linked above, dial the cams in for the best results
Old 29 August 2019, 06:05 PM
B4RKO
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by merlin24
It's quite usual to see the LH Inlet Cam (passenger side) 1/2 a tooth out from the others due to various reasons eg head/block skimming.
And as Don linked above, dial the cams in for the best results
Thanx for the reply lad, I have had the block machined and bored by nick from advanced automotive, I have also spoke to nick regarding this issue and read a number of forums and they all seem to state that it is common for the left hand bank to be out by as much as a tooth on the left hand bank like u say.

I have seen and read the link Don has sent me but it doesn't seem to explain much, nor how to carry out the dialing of the cams... the link seems quite basic and I'm kinda lost.
you don't happen to know of any other links that actually fully explain how to carry the dialing out in separate steps. iv carried this out on a normal 4 cylinder engine but never a quad cam... plus when u line the engine up on a quad cam to fit the timing belt, all 4 cylinders sit in the middle of the block in a line, so number one cylinder is not at tdc if u get me?
Old 29 August 2019, 06:44 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that should be quite a nice spec engine there ---are the heads sti spec? makes a nice spread of power on the short gearing with an 8k rev limit
uk spec heads are flat as a fart over 7k
Old 29 August 2019, 06:54 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by B4RKO

I have seen and read the link Don has sent me but it doesn't seem to explain much, nor how to carry out the dialing of the cams... the link seems quite basic and I'm kinda lost.
The pdf link shows how the vernier scale works.

For how to's try youtube.
Old 29 August 2019, 07:00 PM
B4RKO
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by madwrx
that should be quite a nice spec engine there ---are the heads sti spec? makes a nice spread of power on the short gearing with an 8k rev limit
uk spec heads are flat as a fart over 7k
Cheers pal, it should be nice if I ever get it built and finished 😂🙈
the heads are from a V5 sti type R, just standard however but read they are still good heads without resorting to the AVCS
Old 29 August 2019, 07:04 PM
B4RKO
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
The pdf link shows how the vernier scale works.

For how to's try youtube.
thanx pal,

I have tried YouTube to search for the actual dialling in of these pulleys but can find anything resorting to the boxer 4 cam engine, mayb some1 may have an idea or another method of a link if they come across and read this topic
Old 29 August 2019, 08:02 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B4RKO
Thanx for the reply lad, I have had the block machined and bored by nick from advanced automotive, I have also spoke to nick regarding this issue and read a number of forums and they all seem to state that it is common for the left hand bank to be out by as much as a tooth on the left hand bank like u say.

you don't happen to know of any other links that actually fully explain how to carry the dialing out in separate steps. iv carried this out on a normal 4 cylinder engine but never a quad cam... plus when u line the engine up on a quad cam to fit the timing belt, all 4 cylinders sit in the middle of the block in a line, so number one cylinder is not at tdc if u get me?
It's the same on a Subaru engine, you just have to do it four times being a quad cam.
Old 19 September 2021, 05:47 PM
Nick71
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
It's the same on a Subaru engine, you just have to do it four times being a quad cam.
Trying to find info on this, do you time them all up with tdc readings on number 1 cylinder?