Notices

SOHC cambelt change -Help please - cam jumped while trying to fit new belt..

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2019, 02:04 PM
sgking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC cambelt change -Help please - cam jumped while trying to fit new belt..

Ok so I have been doing the cambelt job but when I came to fit the new cambelt, I was struggling trying to get the lines on the belt to line up with the marks on the cams and crank and then the cam on the passenger side just jumped a bit - see photos.

I was following the various how to's on youtube but they make it seem so easy to get the belt on, but my exerience was not the same - its like the lines on the belt dont line up. Anyway what I need to know is, how do I get this cam that has jumped, back to TDC - can I just pull the belt off, and rotate the cam clockwise so that it goes back to the 12 o clock position and then I can start again?

If it helps -
2002 bugeye sport, 170k, fitted new tensioner bracket, waterpump, dayco belt, tensioner and all the little idlers.

Thanks all

long shot

close up of cam that jumped
Old 19 July 2019, 02:07 PM
sgking
Scooby Regular

...I should have said but the crank and driver side cam are still at 12 o clock, so its just the passenger side cam that made a click noise and jumped.
Old 22 July 2019, 01:15 PM
sgking
Scooby Regular

Anybody, please? The cam wont budge easily - I tried to turn it by hand gently but it isn't going anywhere unless i put some force on it which I am reluctant to do. Thanks
Old 31 July 2019, 10:21 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the crank gear line is at 12 o clock and drop the belt off, turn the cam pulley anti clock wise with a spanner ( tight to turn as cam is about to open the valves ) to line the marks back up.
All the slack on the belt should be where the tensioner sits and not at the bottom as in the picture.

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...procedure.html

Hope this helps
Old 31 July 2019, 11:44 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

From the pictures you don't appear to have the tensioner fitted???
As the example merlin24 has linked to is for DOHC you might want to download this section of the manual for the SOHC engine

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/01impreza/imp01_sec1_4.pdf
Old 08 August 2019, 09:46 PM
davemar
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've just done my DOHC cambelt, so it's fresh in my mind. You need to have the hydraulic tensioner fitted before you fit the belt. I'm not sure with the SOHC engine, but with the DOHC engine there's also another little tensioner to the left of the right cam. The tensioner you fit *after* the belt is on is the lower left one.

My right-hand cams both flipped round when I took the old belt off, so I had to rotate them to get them back. With the DOHC the top one goes clockwise, and the bottom one goes anticlockwise. I'm not sure it matters with the SOHC engine, as you won't have the problem of the valves hitting each other (the pistons should be out of the way if the crank is in the correct position).

So get your tensioner(s) fitted, then install the belt starting around the hydraulic tensioner working anti-clockwise until you get near the right-hand cam. Then rotate the cam so it lines up and hold in place with a breaker bar or something while putting the belt over it. Once the belt is on, then fit the final lower left tensioner.