Notices

Bent o/s chassis leg?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2015, 05:50 PM
m456vdm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent o/s chassis leg?

Hey guys I was replacing cam cover gasket on the drivers side when all air filter housing etc was removed I've noticed a buldge in chassis leg which doesn't look right to me. I've had the cars 10 years but for the last 8 she's been in my garage. Just decided to get it back on road last week. Ive just had mot done. I also had the tracking done and its slightly out. The guy said it's because of the age of the car that he can't get it bang on but it's good enough. Its 1994 impreza. I've uploaded a photo I would like some advice on what I should do please. Thanks
Old 27 August 2015, 07:46 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be looking at taking off the front wing and front bumper to check for accident repair... Looks like a front impact on that side? Is the top surface level? Or does it bulge upwards too?
Old 27 August 2015, 07:52 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Would be nice to see another car of the same year to compare.
Old 27 August 2015, 08:18 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Lol it's certainly not a design feature. Look here for comparison.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...l#post11697659
Old 27 August 2015, 08:23 PM
m456vdm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
Lol it's certainly not a design feature. Look here for comparison.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...l#post11697659
Haha yea your definitely right there. all the gaps around pannels are spot on car drives fine. What is involved in getting it jigged
Old 27 August 2015, 08:24 PM
m456vdm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m456vdm
Haha yea your definitely right there. all the gaps around pannels are spot on car drives fine. What is involved in getting it jigged
Where it buldges out it's like got a v ontop of the leg seems to be straight except the buldge haha
Old 27 August 2015, 11:48 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

is the other chassis leg the same? they have a tendency to bend there just before where the engine cradle bolts through the chassis leg, its already been jigged/pulled straight if it hadn't one way or another the leg would be either be touching the engine (common for smashing the cam pulleys off) or facing out the other way.

Trending Topics

Old 28 August 2015, 08:07 AM
m456vdm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
is the other chassis leg the same? they have a tendency to bend there just before where the engine cradle bolts through the chassis leg, its already been jigged/pulled straight if it hadn't one way or another the leg would be either be touching the engine (common for smashing the cam pulleys off) or facing out the other way.
The other leg which is a lot easier to see looks bang on straight. Suppose the pannel gaps wouldn't be right if it hadn't been pulled straight before?
Old 28 August 2015, 09:02 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

basically in front of the struts / subframe mounts is simply for hanging the panels on - it could possibly have been pulled straight but not "dressed" the leg........

as for not being able to sort tracking??? age has no bearing on set-up as long as all parts are in good condition
Old 28 August 2015, 09:26 AM
m456vdm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
basically in front of the struts / subframe mounts is simply for hanging the panels on - it could possibly have been pulled straight but not "dressed" the leg........

as for not being able to sort tracking??? age has no bearing on set-up as long as all parts are in good condition
So what would you recommend I do? I was going to take it to bodyshop see what they say would a jig pull this out or is it not that simple? Haha not really much idea on body repairs
Old 28 August 2015, 01:40 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

basically in front of the struts / subframe mounts is simply for hanging the panels on -
Altho clearly true surely weakening of these parts will effect how much the area crumples in a front impact. And anything that effects how it crumples will effect the energy taken into the cabin? I mean if you for example cut loads of holes in those legs instead of the folding and absorbing energy they would just squash and the energy would continue into the firewall. Is that not why you don't seem weld too far forwards to keep a crumple zone? Not an argument just a genuine question? I may be wrong...
Old 28 August 2015, 02:31 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

yes thats exactly it, i wasn't suggesting it was correct purely why its not currently causing an issue in other ways

as to what the OP does now to fix it or other wise i guess depends on budget and value of the vehicle
Old 28 August 2015, 03:00 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

yes thats exactly it, i wasn't suggesting it was correct purely why its not currently causing an issue in other ways

as to what the OP does now to fix it or other wise i guess depends on budget and value of the vehicle
Cool, misinterpreted your post!
Old 28 August 2015, 04:02 PM
m456vdm
Scooby Regular

I've just checked the printout from the tracking place and its the n/s/r that is out the front is bang on so I guess that leg isn't much to worry about? I'll have to check why the tracking is out on rear? I'm thinking tie rod or something?
Old 28 August 2015, 05:36 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m456vdm
I've just checked the printout from the tracking place and its the n/s/r that is out the front is bang on so I guess that leg isn't much to worry about? I'll have to check why the tracking is out on rear? I'm thinking tie rod or something?
The only time it's going to be an issue is in the event of a front end impact. The fact it has already started to fold will mean you have a reduced amount of protection. How much? No idea. May make bugger all difference or may make quite a big difference. I am not sure anybody could really tell you as accidents are very unpredictable with regards to angles, speeds, weights, shapes of object etc.