Notices

Track Day Oil Temps

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2015, 07:47 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track Day Oil Temps

Ive recently fitted oil temp and oil pressure gauges and my oil temp sits around 85 normal driving and has been as high as 96 after a spirited drive. Im doing a track day soon and just wandering what sort of temps would be considered ok and what temps i should use as a guide to come in and let it cool down.

Im using fairly fresh millers 10/50 and the oil temp is read from the plug above cylinder 3 next to the turbo.

Cheers..
Old 05 March 2015, 07:55 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As your reading from cylinder 3 they'll show a bit hotter than people with a sandwich plate. I'd say 120 is fine as that's where i've set the warning on my own car but it'll probably go to 130 with no issues, however im sure someone will be along to say anything over 105 will cause your engine to fall out..
Old 05 March 2015, 08:03 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sovietspybob
As your reading from cylinder 3 they'll show a bit hotter than people with a sandwich plate. I'd say 120 is fine as that's where i've set the warning on my own car but it'll probably go to 130 with no issues, however im sure someone will be along to say anything over 105 will cause your engine to fall out..
Cheers buddy...will keep a close eye on the temps and may consider fitting an oil cooler if starts running too hot.
Old 05 March 2015, 10:27 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

As above around 120C and you should be OK,but this depends on oil etc.Just keep eye on oil pressure and oil temperature during the track days

But if you are planning more track days,then I would go with Oil cooler and thermostatic sandwich plate

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 06 March 2015, 09:09 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

With an oil cooler on mine, and undertray fitted mine sits at 100deg from cylinder 3 (post cooler) and 110 from the sandwich plate (pre cooler)
Old 06 March 2015, 09:41 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm playing it well safe, my alarm is set at 110 degrees then I do a couple of steady laps and let things cool down, I prefer to cool down on track rather than dip into the pits with a hot car as the temps will rise once you stop, depending on where I am in the session time wise.

The trick to it IMO is to manage your temps so as to maximise track time, I try and do around 4/5 laps practice sorting best lines and braking points then 2 hot ones and a bit of messing about Encouraging it to slide a bit.

For me it's better than just smashing the **** out of it for 5 laps because you're never going to be the fastest or break the lap record so better to just have a good time and not break your car, especially if you need to drive it to get home.
Old 06 March 2015, 08:31 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys...oil cooler will be on the shopping list as i plan on doing a few events and track days this year.
Old 06 March 2015, 08:57 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

My road temps (pre oil cooler) were similar to yours, and I would hit 110 degrees after about 12mins on track - which was enough time for me to call it a session and come back in anyway.

Got a thermostatic oil cooler now, just because I was having a load of other stuff done - so hope to keep it at sub 100 for as long as my concentration can last!
Old 06 March 2015, 09:02 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'm playing it well safe, my alarm is set at 110 degrees then I do a couple of steady laps and let things cool down, I prefer to cool down on track rather than dip into the pits with a hot car as the temps will rise once you stop, depending on where I am in the session time wise.

The trick to it IMO is to manage your temps so as to maximise track time, I try and do around 4/5 laps practice sorting best lines and braking points then 2 hot ones and a bit of messing about Encouraging it to slide a bit.

For me it's better than just smashing the **** out of it for 5 laps because you're never going to be the fastest or break the lap record so better to just have a good time and not break your car, especially if you need to drive it to get home.
Same here, I back off when the water gets to 96C or the oil hits 110C.

Which depending on the track and ambient temperatture can happen in as few as 2 laps.

I miss my first 205 GTi, I could sit 40mins on track with ambients around 30+C or so and only then the oil would start hitting 140C. The beauty of N/A engines.
Old 07 March 2015, 10:15 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fonzey
My road temps (pre oil cooler) were similar to yours, and I would hit 110 degrees after about 12mins on track - which was enough time for me to call it a session and come back in anyway.

Got a thermostatic oil cooler now, just because I was having a load of other stuff done - so hope to keep it at sub 100 for as long as my concentration can last!
thermostatic plate wont limit your upper temps but will assist in ensuring the oil is up to temp during normal road use...........
Old 07 March 2015, 10:25 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
thermostatic plate wont limit your upper temps but will assist in ensuring the oil is up to temp during normal road use...........
No but I mean the plate was added in addition to a cooler, the cooler will help upper temps!