ive just purchased a
1997 p reg
2000 turbo

been told I have a good engine as coil pack in the top middle

the car has full decat a cobra system
and baileys dump

im looking to start from the beginning
want to know what my car is and has at the moment ie turbo ecu etc

then looking for hints tips and advice to find out what I need to do to give her a little more umf

not looking to go stupid around the 300 350 mark

hope to speak soon thanks
Old 04 May 2014, 06:43 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make that sort of power you will need a new turbo, injectors, intercooler, fuel pump and a remap. Your turbo should be a tdo4 which is only good for about 280 on a good day.
Old 04 May 2014, 07:00 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there and welcome!

I also have a P reg Turbo 2000 and unfortunately for you and I both it's the only one that couldn't be remapped without replacing the entire ECU for a standalone system. I'll get back to this bit later though.

As standard these cars were about 215bhp, TD04 turbo and have the 8S ECU fitted. They also have terrible 2 pot front brakes and 1 pot rears. When I bought mine all the calipers were seized in one way or another too. First I repaired all the original calipers but decided to replace them with 4 pot fronts and 2 pot rears from a bugeye as they have larger discs and more stopping power. Then I ditched those and bought brembos from a newage sti. Really the best thing to do with these cars in my opinion. My advice is upgrade the brakes before the engine.

My engine was rebuilt with a new crank and associated parts 400 miles before I got the car and had been dry stored for 2 years. As a result all the vacuum hoses were cracked and the BOV was stuck shut. The knock sensor had also died. I replaced all that and was good to go engine wise.

When I was wanting to get a little bit more power I found there was a turbo smart bleed valve fitted to my engine and it was pretty well screwed open (big mistake). I had no idea about these engines at first though so I ran with it anyway and started to look about for someone who could remap the car properly. The general feedback was that our cars can't be remapped!!

This is where ESL (Andy Stevens) steps in. He has developed an add on board which allows this model to be remapped for a fraction of the cost of buying a standalone ECU. So I bought one, fitted it and haven't looked back since. That allowed me to remove the bleed valve and use the standard boost control system.

Here's a rough list of my mods so far:
ESL ECU upgrade
Brembo front and rear brakes
Blitz Nur Spec full 3" system
Decat down pipe
Decat up pipe
Front intercooler
K&N induction kit

I'm sure there's more but I can't remember lol. At a guess my car is about 280-290bhp, perhaps a bit more but I haven't had it tested yet.
Old 04 May 2014, 07:42 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its on the standard turbo it wont be any more than 280/290. My advice would be to get it running perfect and then put your mods on just before the remap. As said above brakes are awful on these and brembos are an excellent upgrade.
Old 04 May 2014, 08:47 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drewvic2
hi there

im a new lad to the Scooby world

ive just purchased a
1997 p reg
2000 turbo

been told I have a good engine as coil pack in the top middle

the car has full decat a cobra system
and baileys dump

im looking to start from the beginning
want to know what my car is and has at the moment ie turbo ecu etc

then looking for hints tips and advice to find out what I need to do to give her a little more umf

not looking to go stupid around the 300 350 mark

hope to speak soon thanks
Not sure what you mean by a good engine because the coil pack is in the middle but the v4 suffered badly from piston slap especially when cold so it is a delicate engine.
Old 04 May 2014, 09:03 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I'm fairly sure my 97 is a V3 as will the OPs. Hopefully! Lol
Old 04 May 2014, 09:32 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by piehole1983
I'm fairly sure my 97 is a V3 as will the OPs. Hopefully! Lol
Ok
Old 05 May 2014, 11:36 AM
drewvic2
Scooby Newbie

well piehole thankyou very much indeed for your info that is exactly the kind of response I was looking for
so brakes first im looking into this at the moment what did you have to buy change to do this or is it a case of just changing the calipers discs???
who is this guy you have mentioned with regard to ecu how much and where can I get one lol
Old 05 May 2014, 01:38 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Well the front brakes are probably the easiest to upgrade. It literally is a bolt on job. For the front you'll need calipers, discs and pads. Either Subaru 4 pots which fit under most wheels or else Brembos which will need at least a 17" wheel. Even at that not all 17s will clear brembos. Mine do, Rota Torque.

The rears will need the rear 2 pot fitting kit for both Subaru 2 pots and brembos. You can find them on Godspeed brakes website and sometimes in the classified section on here. Also obviously calipers and discs. I got everything on here

You might as well fit braided brake hoses while you have them disconnected too, not very expensive either. All this combined will make a huge difference and will cope with far more heat and abuse. Don't forget to flush the brake system through with new fluid, yours is most likely the same age as the car!

Ian from Godspeed brakes is a member here and does good package deals for members. I got 4 discs, all pads, braided lines and brake fluid all to suit brembo calipers delivered to my door for something like £350, maybe less. Have a look in the group buys for this kinda stuff.

I've also seen full brembo setups for sale recently too, check it out in the for sale sections.
Old 05 May 2014, 06:03 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, the ECU guy is Andy Stevens. His website is www.enduringsolutions.com

Depending on your abilities, you can install and map yourself or else get one of the professionals on here to do it.
Old 05 May 2014, 06:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh.....and bin the Baileys DV, go back to a standard recirculating type.
Old 05 May 2014, 06:15 PM
drewvic2
Scooby Newbie

thankyou very much indeed for all that pie
when you say install the map yourself is this a computer thing??
Old 05 May 2014, 06:35 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

By installation I meant the fitting of new hardware to your existing ECU. You need good soldering abilities and equipment. Andy at ESL will install it for a small fee though. Mapping will require use of a computer and extra hardware such as an air fuel ratio meter and knock detection equipment or detcans. You really need decent knowledge of all this stuff to try self mapping.

My advice would be to talk to some of the mappers on here to choose the best route for you!