Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Can anyone tell me..........

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2009, 08:34 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone tell me..........

the difference between a Catholic and a C of E church???

Not being overly religious i've never actually visited one for worship etc - but want to know how to tell the difference in appearance of one from the other.

Is there a difference?
Old 14 April 2009, 08:38 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

That's funny, me and my O/H had this conversation saturday, I'm Roman Catholic and she's COE, but not sure what's the difference
Old 14 April 2009, 08:40 PM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

all I know is that Henry the 8th formed the church of England so he could get rid of the other half,then grab another one whenever he liked
*sits back & waits to be corrected*
Old 14 April 2009, 08:42 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Absolutely right!! --->

The Church of England was formed when Henry VIII refused to acknowledge the Pope in Rome, as he would not allow him to remarry, and declared himself the Head of Church in England. The Roman Catholic Church continues to acknowledge the Pope as supreme leader of the Church on earth (St Peter being the first pope directly established by Jesus) while the King or Queen of England is viewed as the (mostly ceremonial) head of the Church of England. Many of the practices remain the same though there have been many theological differences which have cropped up over the centuries.
Old 14 April 2009, 08:49 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

One wears blue, the other white and green hoops.
Old 14 April 2009, 09:03 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One smells funny.

Same ****, different moral tollerances basically
Old 14 April 2009, 10:22 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Ok - so if your a Roman Catholic - is it "wrong" to get married in a CofE church? I know that to marry in a catholic church then you cannot of been married before etc - and i know the a cofe church will marry anyone who is not already married LOL.

Do Catholics and cofe people have the same "belief", pray to the same "god" etc????
Old 14 April 2009, 10:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to confuse things, many CofE and Catholic parishes share the same church building. Same God.
Old 14 April 2009, 11:41 PM
mrs_b4
Scooby Regular

I thought catholics worshipped the virgin mary and didn't believe in birth control but the church of england does believe in birth control and worship god
Old 15 April 2009, 12:51 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
Ok - so if your a Roman Catholic - is it "wrong" to get married in a CofE church? I know that to marry in a catholic church then you cannot of been married before etc - and i know the a cofe church will marry anyone who is not already married LOL.

Do Catholics and cofe people have the same "belief", pray to the same "god" etc????

It doesn’t matter from the Church of England’s perspective. Anyone is welcome to be married in their local CofE parish church. (A complication would only arise if one of you has been married before.)

If one of you is a Roman Catholic and you want the Roman Catholic Church to recognise your marriage, you will need to seek the advice of your Roman Catholic priest about the permission required for marrying a non-Roman Catholic. Some vicars encourage couples in this situation to involve the Catholic priest in the marriage service too. See Interchurch Families for more information.

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 15 April 2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 15 April 2009, 08:04 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrs_b4
I thought catholics worshipped the virgin mary and didn't believe in birth control but the church of england does believe in birth control and worship god
LOL - i thought it was something like that too

Did approach RC church about marrying - had to gain permission from my parish church in order to marry out of the parish! then have the priest round for tea? LOL

However, all the religious side apart - is there a way to distinguish one from the other
Old 15 April 2009, 12:25 PM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

Did approach RC church about marrying - had to gain permission from my parish church in order to marry out of the parish! then have the priest round for tea? LOL
Why get married in a church if your not religious?
Seems pointless when you can get married in some of the countries most amazing buildings and because religion does not rate highly to you there is no religious content to your vows. (not a dig just curious as to why)
We wrote our own vows, got married in a lovely building, had a wonderful day, no church, no religion, just the service the way we wanted it
Old 15 April 2009, 12:33 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

If you are talking about C of E and Catholics in terms of weddings - well the difference in the ceremony in about an hour & a half.

I was brough up a strict catholic girl (convent education for some if it) and my big sis was married in a catholic church - the service went on and on and on and on and on......................

and me - I cleared of abroad to get married - couldn't stand that again.

It is all one God, just things viewed different ways, such as catholics having to repent their sins before communion, and as in recent history (NI) the two sides don't get on!!!
Old 15 April 2009, 02:04 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DEC14N
Why get married in a church if your not religious?
Seems pointless when you can get married in some of the countries most amazing buildings and because religion does not rate highly to you there is no religious content to your vows. (not a dig just curious as to why)
We wrote our own vows, got married in a lovely building, had a wonderful day, no church, no religion, just the service the way we wanted it

Whilst I have no religion - not christened, but if i were filling out a form i would put my religion as cofe. Gooner is a catholic, not been to church in many years but his family are catholic and it was an avenue we were looking into. I've seen some lovely churches - however, they are cofe, and gooners view is that if it were a church it would HAVE to be a catholic church - to which i am struggling to find a nice pretty one

Me myself - have my heart and eye set on The Old Rectory in Lower dunton
Old 15 April 2009, 06:09 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Whilst I have no religion - not christened, but if i were filling out a form i would put my religion as cofe. Gooner is a catholic, not been to church in many years but his family are catholic and it was an avenue we were looking into. I've seen some lovely churches - however, they are cofe, and gooners view is that if it were a church it would HAVE to be a catholic church - to which i am struggling to find a nice pretty one

Me myself - have my heart and eye set on The Old Rectory in Lower dunton
You will find to most Catholics it is important to get married in a Catholic church - nothing else is good enough - and those I have come across feel very strongly about entering other denominations churches.

If you are going to get married in a catholic church ask for a chair - the service is a long one!! Seriously though, be prepared to give up some evenings as you will most likely had to go to classes to learn about the Catholic Church, or at least they used to insist on it!!

Either way, remember it's your day & make sure you decide on where you want to get married!! (Then wait for the battle to commence.........)