Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

One Year ago today

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2008, 10:50 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy One Year ago today

As some of you may know already (mainly because I've spoken about it), but I lost my brother last year - and today is the first anniversary of his death!

Dean was only 34 and whilst he had his faults (as we all do) he was one in a million. He'd give you his last penny if he thought you needed it more! He was generous to a fault!

We didn't always get on - growing up, he was a pain in the *** - but his friendship with Daren greatly improved our relationship as brother/sister - and over time, he became an every day part of my life. He often went out with Daren in the numerous car's we've had, they worked together often and he even lived with us for a while.

He was a keen fisherman and an avid Arsenal fan - when we had his service, all the flowers were red and white and his coffin was covered in an Arsenal flag.

I miss him more and more each day - both myself and Daren have got our memories and I'm saddened that my kids will never really remember the uncle that idolised them.

Dean died on 21st April 2007, in a hotel in Hitchin. He had gone up there for work (as he often did) staying for up to 2 weeks at a time. He was very much "live for the day" and "try anything once" and it was this attitude that he paid so dearly for. Unbeknownst to him he had an enlarged heart (probably caused from excessive alchol abuse - something i didn't even know was probable) and that fateful night after a few drinks, he ingested a drug which he'd probably never used before and ultimately he died.

Dean wasn't a stupid bloke - he new there were risks involved - guess he just never really gave those risks the respect they deserved!

Since his death, my views on drink and drugs changed quite dramatically. My mum blames herself - thinks that the facts surrounding his death should be kept secret as she feels in some bizarre "motherly" way that it was his upbringing. I feel differently..... I feel that if this message is known, then maybe, just maybe one life could be saved - so his death wasn't in vain and another sister wont have to say goodbye to her brother and another set of parents wont have to bury thier child.

I'm sure that everyone on here has experienced loss - I'm just choosing today - to share mine.

RIP Dean - we love you and miss you. Forever in my Heart - Always in my Mind
Old 21 April 2008, 11:16 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

You never forget

My memories of my Dad still burn bright and I lost him in 1983 in a tragic accident
Old 21 April 2008, 11:31 AM
EAndy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of the tragic loss!

Thoughts are with you and family today. x x x
Old 21 April 2008, 11:42 AM
spally
Scooby Regular

another tragic loss of life.

our thoughts are with you all today.
Old 21 April 2008, 03:43 PM
scoobybrad
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of ur loss, thoughts go out to u and all ur family
Old 21 April 2008, 05:20 PM
mrs_b4
Scooby Regular

Losing family is sh*tty whether old or young ,cliche I know but time is a great healer.
Just think of the thing's that made you smile about him and don't dwell on the ending.His life had meaning however short xx
Old 21 April 2008, 06:19 PM
stellarrr
Scooby Regular

My thoughts are with you and daren and your lovely parents vikki.

I didnt know Dean well as you know but you have spoken of him a great deal and I know he was a lovely bloke.

As when you talk of him, especially today, remember the good times and keep smiling hun...that is what he would want today especially xx
Old 21 April 2008, 06:41 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

My sincere condolences, I know exactly how you're feeling. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of my brother. It's not easy, not by a long shot and with me, it's worse when it's a nice sunny day and I'm driving either the truck or Scooby on my own. Though I can now listen to "Oasis- Stop crying your heart out" with out welling up, I do stop and think about what could of been, how I could of done things differently, had more chats about his life style to try and help him, but ultimately no amount of wishing will bring him back.

I've got a little something special that's being designed as a tribute to him which is being worked on at the moment, and I hope he'll be looking down and be proud!! A special thanks goes to the person(s) involved in this little project, I can't wait to see the results!!