Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Cam Position Sensor fault. P0365

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2022, 11:10 AM
RW1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Position Sensor fault. P0365

I have been through a number of threads with this issue and every remedy mentioned has not worked.

I have a 2004 WR1, and this fault has been driving me crazy for quite some time.

what have I done so far:
  • swapped the sensors round to see if the fault code changes. No change.
  • renewed the AVCS loom complete, from JTI Innovation. No change.
  • I sent my ECU of to be checked for any issues, sent to Autotronics in Leicester. No fault found within the ECU.

I think I am left with some options, which may be clutching at straws, these options are:
  • check the timing. I have done this for it looked slightly off, but was told this can be quite normal. I’m not too sure. Have a look for yourself

Bank 1 aligned correctly

Bank 2 slightly off
The cambelt was put into be replaced 2 years ago, but on looking at it, it looks a lot older. I am thinking that the garage that did the job may not have done so, therefore, the belt and the tensioner may not have been changed. If the timing is out slightly, would this not throw a fault in the cam position?

as I said, I am clutching at straws and I want to drive the car without the dreaded engine light coming on after driving for a few minutes.

Last edited by RW1; 05 February 2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 14 February 2022, 08:11 AM
RW1
Scooby Newbie

This morning i have noticed something that may be causing the issue. the CEL only comes up when engine speed drops below 1500rpm.

driving to work this morning, with a cold start, the engine speed didn't drop below 1500 rpm for around 20 miles, no warning light came up. i erased it on the move and the CEL didn't come back up till i dropped below 1500 again. is this a eureka moment.

engine speed!!! cold this be a CKP fault??? i have changed it recently, but only with an after market one. maybe an OEM one will be better.

happy to hear any thoughts from you if you have any.
Old 14 February 2022, 03:44 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

For stuff like that always genuine mate.
Old 14 February 2022, 03:53 PM
RW1
Scooby Newbie

The price difference is mental.

£45 from Euro Car Parts or £200+ from Subaru. Just ordered one with a little sick in my mouth. I should have it tomorrow and fitted in the evening.

Fingers crossed
Old 14 February 2022, 04:02 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

So ECP is a bit of a funny one, I use them for certain items but don't think I would for sensors etc. A very close friend of mine picked a fuel pump from then was massively cheaper then what BMW wanted. The pump lasted not even 6 months from what I remember. He went back to exchange it and the guy gave him a pump without the cradle etc. When he enquired about it the guy who worked there said they have a mixture of recon and new parts (for certain items) and someone picked up any of the parts that matched. I'm not saying thats the case with your sensor but having read of other people's experience of sensors for a scooby it seems non genuine just don't last.

Thats eye watering mate did you try ICP, IPC or Alyn @ AS Performance.
Old 14 February 2022, 04:25 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

If you move your o/s cam to the exact position is it leaving your n/s cam one full tooth ot.
Old 14 February 2022, 06:14 PM
RW1
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
So ECP is a bit of a funny one, I use them for certain items but don't think I would for sensors etc. A very close friend of mine picked a fuel pump from then was massively cheaper then what BMW wanted. The pump lasted not even 6 months from what I remember. He went back to exchange it and the guy gave him a pump without the cradle etc. When he enquired about it the guy who worked there said they have a mixture of recon and new parts (for certain items) and someone picked up any of the parts that matched. I'm not saying thats the case with your sensor but having read of other people's experience of sensors for a scooby it seems non genuine just don't last.

Thats eye watering mate did you try ICP, IPC or Alyn @ AS Performance.
good call. ICP are at least half the price for the exact same item. Thanks for that info.

I should have it on Wednesday