Notices

Another bad day to add to my bad car week...

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2003, 07:25 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well, aside from being pretty uhappy with my recent engine work, I set off for trax today at 7.30am, 10 degrees outside, car feeling fairly fast, even with 3-up.

Sat on M-way for an hour hovering just over 100, off-boost. Feels effortless and a couple times I have to lift as I'm heading well over without even realising.

Oil temp sitting at about 102.

Come of motorway to a set of lights. Floor it in 1st 2nd a 3rd and although it boosts up, something doesnt feel right. As I look down, the Check Engine Light comes on. ****.

Car feels fine.

Stop, check my fault codes expecting a Co2 fault or similar, and get a P0340 - camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction.

Reset Ecu. CEL light stays off. Cool. Drive away, gradually build boost. Car wont boost past .7 bar, its in limp mode. OK I think, it will clear after 15 miles when the fault doesnt reoccur, but no, CEL light stays off, no fault codes reported, but still in limp mode. Reset ecu again - no good. Same result. Try giving it a little welly in 4th to see if it needs to learn, but get a stern warning from a fully lit knocklink!

Had a fiddle with the sensor connector, reset ecu again, still no difference.

So. Anyone have any bright ideas as to my problem? Is it likely to be the sensor at 13k? Why didnt the cel light come back on after reset?
Old 07 September 2003, 07:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Question

Dont know wheter this is of any use..

i get a similar symptom on my MY96 2.0gl

I get a non start scenario, but no codes stored.. i removed the

camshaft sensor and cleaned it and all ok for a few weeks..

i han a non start and immidiatly checked the ecu... no codes stored..

prhaps there is another fault which is pointing to the cam sensor...

if my memory serves me rightly ,,, staying in limp home is a as you have found a failure of a sensor, because the engine cannot apply the correct timing to the engine load range (forgive me if it seems patronising) it may be somthing as simple as a plug/ coil concern...

as for the sensor,, they normally go at 90-100k

see if you can borrow one from another vehicle to eliminate this
fault

mart
Old 07 September 2003, 08:11 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

FFS Ed you really aren't having a good week mate.
Old 07 September 2003, 08:14 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Someone there today said it is a known problem, quite a few gone at or around 10k.

Others disagreed.

Others still said it was another unspecified fault that gets routed through to the nearest fault code as it doesnt have its own.

Old 07 September 2003, 08:23 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have had 2 CEL's for the cam position sensor and have always stopped, reset the ECU and continued with no problems.

My car is on 25k.

Too much of a coincidence you had work done during the week and now this happens IMHO.

Nathan..
Old 07 September 2003, 08:46 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Cannot believe that i,am reading this had exactly the same happen to me yesterday, Had Ecutec, Downpipe , Upipe fitted to MY01 WRX Last Saturday, Out this Saturday, When i give it some also had the Check engine light come on, Checked the code on the S.E.C.S. monitor same fault code as you ED, Reset the ECU Check engine light dissapears with no current/Historic codes, Carry on driving steadily building boost but seems as though it is holding back around 4000rpm ( feels really flat)

On the way to Trax today still doing the same thing, Remember the guy who done the Mapping of the ECU, Said to me that there will be 2 settings on the Ecutec low boost/0.9 bar and high boost 1.25 bar and to change the settings you need to floor it whilst in 5th gear and press the heated rear window button, Done this on the way to Trax today, And as soon as i hit the heated rear window button i felt the car come alive again, No trouble with Boost now through all the gears.

Can only think that when i reset the Ecu that it went straight to low boost mode, Still a little worried and confused though as to why the light came on in the 1st place though, really watch the Revs now as not to take it round to 7000 rpm in case it happens again

Any other comments would be appriciated

Tiny...
Old 07 September 2003, 08:52 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

very very odd!!! esp the bit about the heated rear window and 5th gear...wish i knew that earlier. Will try that first thing tomorrow and tell you what my boost gauge does. very odd. although in some ways comforting that it isnt just me (if you see what i mean?)

hmmm..
Old 07 September 2003, 08:56 PM
Paul N P
Scooby Regular

When I spoke to Knowlsey about Eliot's problem, he said he had this problem, something about a valet mode that kept kicking in. I think they got shot of the map in the end & problem solved
Old 07 September 2003, 09:19 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Question

WTF !?!

Heated rear window switch ?

Nathan..
Old 07 September 2003, 11:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.ecutek.com/products/mapswitch/

Never used it but there are routines with the defog switch and Delta Dash to switch between different maps and user tune if enabled by your mapper with the WRX. Think it was coming for the STi also.

Can't contribute on the specific fault you are having - no knowledge of it.
Old 08 September 2003, 11:04 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Thanks John.

Anybody any ideas on the probs myself and tiny are having?

Tiny did you ask your mapper?

One thing I would say is dont drive hard til you know, as my knocklink lit up like a xmas tree in 4th.
Old 10 September 2003, 04:35 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Wink

Edcase...just to let you know what my Tek3 was like. First trip to ScoobySport went well, even with the 25 deg + temp outside. Spent half the day tuning the custom map on the road - car went like stink (after map installed, car had time to setup itself). Went there again for the final tweek and the car felt crap - Pat (tuner) said it was because the ECU needs time to learn the max boost in each gear (ECU rest puts boost back to base map, therefore less boost). After about 200 miles (yes, really) the car was going well again and holding 1.45 bar in top (first thing after remap it was around 1.35!).

I'm no expert on Tek3 but this is what I've seen. The reset of secs also seems to slow things down for a while until ECU settles.
Re the switch for a 2nd map - talk to your tuner as I only had one map and don't need to flick any switch.