Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

MPG reading after sportscat remap.

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2014, 06:11 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default MPG reading after sportscat remap.

After a recent remap My Torque Pro app will only display current MPG readings if I'm on very light throttle or coasting, is this because my mapper will have disabled the sensor after the sportscat so I don't throw CEL's?
Old 14 October 2014, 01:28 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Any mappers disable the rear 02 sensor/sensor codes without the customer asking for it?
Old 14 October 2014, 01:56 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matt

Not sure from which sensor Torque Pro reading,I would assume Torque Pro reading from A/F(Air/Fuel) lambda sensor,which mapper shouldn't disable

Thanks,Jura
Old 14 October 2014, 02:05 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

is that not because lambda goes open loop on hard/full throttle so mapper has adjusted that to run open loop on certain throttle percentage?
Old 14 October 2014, 02:26 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
is that not because lambda goes open loop on hard/full throttle so mapper has adjusted that to run open loop on certain throttle percentage?
My car threw a CEL every so often because it's running a sports cat so (a resistor in some cases) or map tweak was needed to disable the CEL. I'm not sure of the full workings of the scenario or if will effect OBD2 readers.

I'm not sure if Scooby Clinic will have disabled the ECU showing the Rear 02 related CEL's but I haven't had a CEL thrown yet since the map and I was usually getting one after going on cold motorway drives.

It'd be nice to know if it was the remap that has caused the reading issue or if there's something wrong with the fueling.
Old 14 October 2014, 02:29 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Matt

Not sure from which sensor Torque Pro reading,I would assume Torque Pro reading from A/F(Air/Fuel) lambda sensor,which mapper shouldn't disable

Thanks,Jura
The App uses a few sensors for enhanced MPG calculations apparently.

It's a real downer thought Jura as I was obsessed with monitoring my MPG. The feature makes me drive economically and it's probably a good way of keeping a tab on the engine's behaviour.
Old 14 October 2014, 05:09 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the dash command app and mine still works ok after been remapped and the 02 cel deactivated. And its extremely accurate too after also working it out manually. currently averaging 19mpg...
Old 14 October 2014, 05:43 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Yehee, no more mpg threads.
Old 14 October 2014, 08:51 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dubzy
I use the dash command app and mine still works ok after been remapped and the 02 cel deactivated. And its extremely accurate too after also working it out manually. currently averaging 19mpg...
19 is low. 57miles off £20
Old 14 October 2014, 10:08 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

I gained an extra 140bhp over standard and it equated to a losing of 9 mpg, as in stock trim i was averaging 28mpg. Less miles per gallon but many more smiles per gallon
Old 14 October 2014, 10:31 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

I gained an extra 140bhp over standard and it equated to a losing of 9 mpg, as in stock trim i was averaging 28mpg. Less miles per gallon but many more smiles per gallon
I've hit 110 over stock and my MPG has improved, I'd deffo get a top notch tuner like RCM or Scooby Clinic etc to check your fueling/AFR's on the dyno.

You might have a slight boost leak post Turbo or something.
Old 14 October 2014, 10:47 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
I've hit 110 over stock and my MPG has improved, I'd deffo get a top notch tuner like RCM or Scooby Clinic etc to check your fueling/AFR's on the dyno.

You might have a slight boost leak post Turbo or something.
I wouldnt let anybody other than a "top notch tuner" anywhere near my car and as for less mpg its the nature of the beast im afraid and not incorrect afr's or boost leaks. A bigger turbo requires bigger injectors for increased fuel flow, more air and fuel flowing so less mpg.

If youve gained 110bhp and are now using less fuel, then your original map must have been seriously on the rich side
Old 14 October 2014, 11:04 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt let anybody other than a "top notch tuner" anywhere near my car and as for less mpg its the nature of the beast im afraid and not incorrect afr's or boost leaks. A bigger turbo requires bigger injectors for increased fuel flow, more air and fuel flowing so less mpg.

If youve gained 110bhp and are now using less fuel, then your original map must have been seriously on the rich side
I think the OE map is quite rich afaik.

TBH off-boost your car should be using the same amount of fuel or less in some cases as many mappers make the car more efficient.

You should really be getting about 88-100 miles off £20 when you go on a drive to the seaside and don't cane it.
Old 14 October 2014, 11:17 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

You should really be getting about 88-100 miles off £20 when you go on a drive to the seaside and don't cane it.
Haha i wish, you would struggle to do that in a standard wrx. What power and turbo/injectors have you got and what mpg was you getting previously and now presently ??
Old 14 October 2014, 11:59 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Haha i wish, you would struggle to do that in a standard wrx. What power and turbo/injectors have you got and what mpg was you getting previously and now presently ??
330bhp, TD05 16g and 550 STI pinks.

MPG was 30mpg just like the manufacturers claim and now it's averaging 32, sometimes more on when going on long trips on flat straight roads. Did Wakey to Bridlington avoiding boost and got 40mpg.

There was a thread made a few days ago where most Newage WRX owners were reporting 28-36 mpg.
Old 15 October 2014, 12:56 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

330bhp, TD05 16g and 550 STI pinks.

MPG was 30mpg just like the manufacturers claim and now it's averaging 32, sometimes more on when going on long trips on flat straight roads. Did Wakey to Bridlington avoiding boost and got 40mpg.

There was a thread made a few days ago where most Newage WRX owners were reporting 28-36 mpg.
Why bother installing the pinks then if you were flowing more fuel out of your stock blues ?? you may as well take them out and sell them.
Old 15 October 2014, 01:21 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Why bother installing the pinks then if you were flowing more fuel out of your stock blues ?? you may as well take them out and sell them.
The pinks would flow more under boost after I upped power, blues will probably get maxed by 320bhp. Pinks and Blues will flow the same amount pottering around town etc providing they have been mapped accordingly.
Old 16 October 2014, 01:22 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

I've contacted Scoobyclinic and they think the app MPG is calculated using injector duty reading and I may be getting a bad reading due to something loose when I accelerate. They say the map shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I would have thought the app uses emission and AFR readings.
Old 16 October 2014, 04:43 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

On Ecutek'd OE ECU how does a mapper permanently stop the ominous P0420 CEL on a decat/sports cat system?? Does he just disable the ECU's ability to display the CEL or limit what the rear 02 sensor reads??