Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

powerslide wiggles and tank slappers

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2004, 01:37 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powerslide wiggles and tank slappers

i have been practiseing this slideing malarky, now i can handle the car fine at lower speeds, what i have a major problem with, is the higher speed stuff

let me give you a example that i tried tonite

97 wrx with standerd (but new) uk turbo suspension, standerd 16" rims and the Viscous diff

i arrive at this big wide deserted roundabout, the roundabout is lower then all 4 entrances by quite a bit, so when you aproach you can see if its deserted and stuff, ideal for what i had planned

i enter the roundabout and use the throttle to push the back end out, this is a doddle, nice and predictble, nothing serious, now where i seam to come a cropper is the next part, i can back off and let it sort itself out (crap) or i can power put (this is what i really want to do) so i increase the throttle and nail it, my head is telling me "noo your insane, your going sideways and you dont want to be pushing this pedal" but i do it anyway

what i find out is this, the front does indeed bite in and pull me out, but as i was useing oppisite lock it now tends to throw the back end out the other way (like a big wiggle) im asumeing that when this happens the diffs send the power back to the rear wheels??

what do i do now, before i know it im foot to the floor and doing 60mph at about 45 degrees to the road slideing along, and ill be honest, im ****en scared and i have the lock on in the other direction to the previous dirrection, i had to back off and fight it, and sort it out (all the text i have read has told me to never back off)

i tried this a few times and got simmiler results each time
the roads leading up to the roundabout and away from it are all dual carrigeways so theres quite a bit of room (and its a national speed limit road as well, well the exit i always take is) but although it probably looks really good outside the car, inside it just doesnt feel smooth and controlled enough

where do i go wrong???
Old 10 April 2004, 09:13 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

it would appear you are using too much lock and not dialling it out quickly enough on the exit..................hence when it starts to bite it automatically tries to steer in the opposite direction, you apply opposite lock and into the classic "tankslapper" syndrome going from one to the other!!
also try and 'feed' the power in more gently and you will retain more control to either "nail it" as it opens out or ease slighly to stop it going pear shaped!!

NEVER get out of the throttle altogether in this scenario as it will BITE!!!

hope this helps....................alyn - asperformance.com
Old 11 April 2004, 10:24 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

A quote from ARDS Instructor G from track-action;

The biggest mistake people tend to make when a 4wd starts to drift is that they steer in to the slide as you would in a rear wheel drive car. If you do this in a 4wd car and power on whilst on opposite lock, as the front wheels grip the car will turn violently the way you are steering. So, if your 4wd car steps out sideways maintain a balanced throttle a neutral steering position and technically the car should come back in to line.
Old 11 April 2004, 12:59 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

RRH that is a brilliant quote ! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 11 April 2004, 01:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Probably just a bit of finesse with the throttle and anticipation both with the power and steering inputs. Good advice above too.

Les
Old 11 April 2004, 10:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

thank you

RRH
where was the quote from, is it on a website?
link please if so
cheers

i will have another attempt or so sumtime this week (if it rains)
Old 11 April 2004, 10:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

for anybody else

http://www.racecarparts.co.uk/cgi-bi...num=1067172815
Old 12 April 2004, 09:53 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

you beat me to it... glad to be of service.
cheers,
simon
Old 17 April 2004, 12:26 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

2 attempts to nite about 20 mins ago

compleatly sorted, my problem was the WOT i was preforming "to pull the front out"
what i did was apply sum more slight preasure on the throttle which pulled the front out very smoothly and controlable, the road then bears to the left a touch, as soon as the car was settled the wheel was turned to the left and i used WOT, which pushed the back end out the opp way, which is exactly what i wanted to preform, 10 times more smoothly and a dam sight more controlable, both attempts yeilded the same results, i am happy

in the forst post i might not have given a proper mentalpicture of the road, but what i was trying to achive was kind of like a S bend coming off the roundabout.

anyways, thanks for the help, im sorted, time to find sumthing new
Old 17 April 2004, 11:50 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

excellent. now got to master it myself