Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How much pressure can it take?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 11:09 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I Have a UK MY00 with APEXi SAFC & AVC-R, Blitz induction Kit and a HKS SSQ Dump Valve. Currently running at 1.15 bar.

How high can i set the boost with that equipment before I risk damage to the pistons/turbo or any other part of the car etc?

Also what would be a good next step to increase the power? any ideas? I could do with a bit of an upgrade roadmap from this as my starting point. To infinity and beyond!

cheers all in advance.

Dale
Old 20 May 2002, 11:34 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.25 bar seems to be the common concensus on the standard turbo. Some get excellent results with a manifold. Others replace the turbo. There is a nice new hybrid TD04L which I posted about in this forum a few days back. It does not add any significant lag, but holds so much better after 4500 RPM - up to 1500 RPM later for the same boost at similar temperatures to the original. It is the sort of turbo you want if you are aiming for 280+ lbft at 3000 RPM. Seems ideal to me since a UK car is not built to rev as high as the STis so I am not too bothered about a turbo which drops below 1.15 bar at about 6250 RPM (still substantially more than the standard turbo).
Old 20 May 2002, 11:43 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

oops, i forgot to mention the small matter of a Scoobysport backbox!

cheers john, what you mean by manifold? i'm not a car expert just an enthusiast.

cheers

[Edited by Eagle7 - 5/20/2002 11:49:36 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 10:19 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The manifold is the bit that comes off the engine at the bottom and joins 4 pipes (one from each cylinder) into one pipe, then this goes to the up-pipe then spins the turbo, goes out through the wastegate into the downpipe, midsection and out the backbox. Getting one side of the turbo spinning compresses fresh air from the inlet which then passes through the intercooler and the throttle into the engine.

The standard manifold is cast iron and unequal length giving a lot of the Scooby boxer sound. Some of the flanges and bends in the pipework are a bit basic. You can spend anywhere from £750 to ££££ on a manifold which will be equal length to a greater or lesser extent, and also have nice constant diameter bends in it with hopefully no nasty business. Also the nasty sleeved restrictive original uppipe is also often replaced at the same time. This results in less obstruction to the exhaust gases resulting in better gas flow to the turbo, lower temperatures in the cylinders, hence you can often get more ignition advance.

HKS make them, so do PE and others. I chose to port the original headers with a ball nose cone tungsten carbide grinder bit and a hand drill and replace the turbo instead. About half the price and at least as effective.

This is just my basic explanation - I am sure someone will pick holes in it but that is what Scoobynet is for. Remember I don't hold a spanner well allegedly and I wash my overalls every time they are used
Old 21 May 2002, 11:43 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Unless things have changed very recently, PE don't make manifolds, they just sell another company's work under their own name.

Moray
bbs.22b.com
Old 21 May 2002, 04:15 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Moray,
sorry, but i just dont see the point in that reply of yours!
Old 21 May 2002, 07:25 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

john, you say the nasty sleeved uppipe, is it possible to remove the sleeve from the pipe relatively easily, & is it ok to do this, will there be enough strength in the pipe, i presume this is done for soundproofing is it???
Old 21 May 2002, 07:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I didn't try but it just looked nasty - it looks fairly firmly welded in across large areas. The comment between us was something like, "That is horrible, wish we could go and buy a replacement right now rather than put that back on the car." It does have a flexi-joint though
Old 21 May 2002, 07:34 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

flexi-joint, where????
I've got an original manifold in 2 pieces in my kitchen, bottom 3 pieces(still attached) & the up-pipe, can see no flexi tho??
Old 21 May 2002, 07:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

On the up-pipe unless I was dreaming (I probably was of big boost ) - I was more interested in grinding the manifolds and walked away from the uppipe in disgust. Perhaps Cosie Convert or T-uk will confirm since they manhandled it back into position whilst I swam around in coolant? I'm sure it was a corrugated looking section in the up-pipe. (MY00 Euro).
Old 21 May 2002, 07:50 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

did you do anything to your manifold then eg. grinding, or just fit it??
Old 21 May 2002, 08:11 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

She can't take much more,Jim!!!
Old 21 May 2002, 08:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

We had the manifold, uppipe, turbo, intercooler and downpipe off when doing a turbo swap. At the time we also fitted an EGT probe and ported the original headers. Only new part was the turbo, coolant, oil and oil filter. And a few banjo bolt washers which we kept losing
Old 21 May 2002, 08:35 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you are going to be looking for 300+ bhp I would replace the uppipe. I have some pics which I can post tomorrow of the std (disgusting) uppipe, which strangles the exhaust flow down to less than 40 mm and the (lovely) Scoobysport uppipe which is 52 mm bore.

Up to 19 psi boost, I did not notice a difference. After 19 psi, there is no comparison I did modify my turbo inlet at the same time but the net result of manifold porting, uppipe and turbo mod was an extra 30 bhp at the SAME boost pressure.
Old 21 May 2002, 10:20 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

I currently run 17psi & dont forsee wanting to run any more than that (but you never know!!).
While its off I may as well fit a new uppipe, how much is the scoobysport version???
I take it this wont make any difference to sound??? Cause im fitting the standard manifold as opposed to the pe equal length im now running cause I so miss the sound, I want it to sound like a proper slag which it should!!
I could always then port the rest of the manifold at a later date.
Old 21 May 2002, 11:44 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Scoobysport uppipe £120+v.....just makes the burble louder PE do them too but none in stock for a few weeks.
Old 21 May 2002, 11:52 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

------------------------------------------------------------------
The comment between us was something like, "That is horrible, wish we could go and buy a replacement right now rather than put that back on the car." It does have a flexi-joint though

------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually went like.... "That's horrible! John, get your wallet out and go to Falkland and buy a new uppipe while it's apart"

John........ silence !!! wallet remained secured !
Old 22 May 2002, 12:35 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

so you guys recommend a scoobysport up-pipe and then downpipe before exchanging the turbo, possibly with a manifold too. This is the best way to get more BHP sensibly out of my car?
Old 22 May 2002, 12:44 AM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Anything that increases the airflow in / exhaust gas out, without increasing boost will be easier on the engine than a boost increase.
Old 22 May 2002, 07:27 AM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

can you post the pics if you remember.
Old 22 May 2002, 08:36 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Falkland didn't have one at the time and it was rather an expensive week. And my judgement was impaired as I was wearing overalls
Old 22 May 2002, 02:32 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

LOL @ John's overalls I hope you ironed them again after they were washed

Run out of time need to post pics when I get back, sorry. Don't have a Digi cam and my scanner takes forever

Andy.

John - You got some pics of the downpipe did you not ?

[Edited by Cosie Convert - 5/22/2002 2:33:58 PM]
Old 22 May 2002, 03:35 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

UkLegacyT,

The assertion that PE make their own headers was, unless things have changed very recently, simply false. HKS actually construct extremely well made manifolds of their own in house developed design, which puts them in a very different category to a "tuner" who simply rebadges other firms kit.

The headers sold by PE are, I believe, also available elsewhere and probably for less money. Readers may have been missled by the comment John made into believing that the "PE" headers were an exclusive product unavailable elsewhere, which is, to the best of my knowledge, not the case.

Moray
bbs.22b.com
Old 22 May 2002, 07:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Sorry for misleading. Told you someone would correct me

[Edited by john banks - 5/22/2002 7:31:18 PM]
Old 23 May 2002, 09:33 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Question

if you fit uprated headers (ie hks) can you alter the fueling sufficiently enough on a std ecu, say by the fuel regulater for the car to run ok?
cheers mike